Archiving all of our ★■◆●

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Archiving all of our ★■◆●

Post by Hunter »

Over the holidays I put together a new website called Descent Files. It's basically a variation of my other site, FreeSpace Files.
Since so many Descent websites have disappeared I figure it's time we had a place to keep everything stored.
The point is to archive everything we have made over the years including levels, music, mods, screenshots etc.
It could also serve as a mirror for your Descent related content.

At the moment it's got a nice bunch of content, but a lot of stuff is missing which I'll be working on.
Contributions and suggestions are more than welcome! All you need to do is register an account and then upload stuff.

I'm particularly looking for good screenshots from Descent I and Descent II, as those sections are empty.

Any Descent related content is allowed. At the moment there is a base selection of categories - each contains content from Descent I, Descent II, Descent 3, Underground and Overload. Fan created content such as community album music, rendered artwork etc is also welcome and encouraged.

Check it out @ http://sectorgame.com/descentfiles/
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Archiving all of our ★■◆●

Post by Krom »

I have a complete copy of the old descent network germany download mirror, which should include pretty much every descent manager tool for D1, D2 and D3, do you have some place I could upload it to for you to add to the collection? It is compressed into a 1.8 GB 7z archive.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

You could try uploading it into the Unsorted folder - I'm not sure if a 1.8GB file will complete. The upload process is divided into chunks, so it should work, but I've never tested it. Maybe split it into a smaller set of 100MB archives? Or just unzip the folder and upload that. If that doesn't work I'll create an FTP account for you.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I do have the benefit of a 400 mbit upload speed, so it isn't like it is going to take very long to find out... :P

Although I'm only getting about ~35 mbps sending to this server, probably about all it can take. So it took 5 minutes instead of 40 seconds. :P

And done uploading.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I found the first D1 level I made there! Oh man, it's old enough to buy alcohol. It even had my old Compuserve address in the .txt file!
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Nice Krom, glad to hear it worked.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

How hard would it be to have a torrent of all this bonus content? I'm talking about a single torrent file with everything. A torrent would allow people to download exactly the individual files that they want or download the whole thing and help host the files. And if we get enough participants it might be more practical than a single server.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

By the way, a good decoration of collection for any descenter will be Russian versions, which was made by the Russian community. A little humorous, but high-quality and cool translation.

http://www.descent2.ru/news/27/56/Desce ... azyke.html
http://www.descent2.ru/descent-2/d2files.html
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

How hard would it be to have a torrent of all this bonus content? I'm talking about a single torrent file with everything. A torrent would allow people to download exactly the individual files that they want or download the whole thing and help host the files. And if we get enough participants it might be more practical than a single server.
I think such a thing has been done before IIRC? Either way, a torrent tends to get forgotten about and left unseeded after some time has passed. Besides - the site is meant for new content as much as it is an archive for older stuff. So if someone creates a new mission for a Descent game, or Overload, then they can upload it there.