Page 1 of 1

Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:05 pm
by Nightshade
I got my genetic ancestral origins map yesterday, it's really neat! :)

Image

Confirmed most of what I was told- but I didn't know I had some Turkish (asia minor) ancestry.

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:14 pm
by Nightshade
And I also had some unexpected genetic traces from east Asia (probably from the origins of Native Americans that crossed the Bering Strait land bridge during the ice ages.)

Image

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:10 pm
by Krom
And here I was expecting something more along the lines of this:
Image

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:27 pm
by Nightshade
Krom wrote:And here I was expecting something more along the lines of this:
Image
Nope. Pretty sure that one is you and slick. :P

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 pm
by Tunnelcat
Where did you go to get your information NS?

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:34 pm
by Nightshade
Tunnelcat wrote:Where did you go to get your information NS?
Family Tree DNA. https://www.familytreedna.com

I was very curious what my results were- so I ordered a test kit. It got great reviews and was actually cheaper than Ancestry.com or 23 And Me.

The "Family Finder" option is $89 and takes about three months for them to process and give you your results.

You don't only get your ancestry map but other features like finding lots of people you've never heard of that're related to you.

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:35 pm
by Tunnelcat
I was wondering if there was a better place to find out family history than Ancestry.com. Even though they claim that they're not owned by the Mormons, the company seems a little too conveniently placed right in the middle of Utah. I might just try out your site. I'm curious about my family history too. All of my grandparents are dead now and the kicker is that when they were alive, I was too young and arrogant to pay attention to what I considered their old fuddy duddy family history stories. Now I wish I had. All I know is that there is a some German and British in my background and my husband has a lot of Swedish,British and German ancestry.

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 am
by Nightshade
Any other Native American origin Descent players out there? ;)

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:47 am
by Nightshade
Tunnelcat wrote:I was wondering if there was a better place to find out family history than Ancestry.com. Even though they claim that they're not owned by the Mormons, the company seems a little too conveniently placed right in the middle of Utah. I might just try out your site. I'm curious about my family history too. All of my grandparents are dead now and the kicker is that when they were alive, I was too young and arrogant to pay attention to what I considered their old fuddy duddy family history stories. Now I wish I had. All I know is that there is a some German and British in my background and my husband has a lot of Swedish,British and German ancestry.
BTW, TC! They're having another sale! Image

https://www.familytreedna.com/

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 am
by Nightshade
You know...

Elizabeth Warren did claim to have Native American ancestry...she could put all doubts to rest if she had one of these tests done. Why doesn't she? ;)

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 pm
by Sirius
It is possible she already has, and hasn't published the results, or that she knows through other means (e.g. genealogical records). I'm not even sure it isn't public knowledge - I suspect the point is more how much bearing it should have on anything. e.g. I have some Maori ancestry (native people of New Zealand), but it's a shade under 10%, and I don't look Maori or have much involvement with Maori culture, so I would feel like kind of a fraud if I claimed to be one.

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:52 pm
by Nightshade
Sirius wrote:It is possible she already has, and hasn't published the results, or that she knows through other means (e.g. genealogical records). I'm not even sure it isn't public knowledge - I suspect the point is more how much bearing it should have on anything. e.g. I have some Maori ancestry (native people of New Zealand), but it's a shade under 10%, and I don't look Maori or have much involvement with Maori culture, so I would feel like kind of a fraud if I claimed to be one.
She did claim ancestry to get minority status in the universities/law schools she attended it seems. Perhaps I should have as well.