Meet your new friend, Mr. Flashlight

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Meet your new friend, Mr. Flashlight

Post by Arch »

I've been playing Doom 3 through the single player. Currently I'm walking around, quivering, in the Alpha Labs. Thank god for that damn flash light!

This is the creepiest game I've ever played, hands down. My god, its crazy!

Arch
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

x2
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Maybe it's time I finally purchased a new PC? I was kinda waiting on Black & White 2 to be released before I bought a new one. Or I could just wait for the XBox version to be released in another month or so.

How are the graphics? Do you need a really high end machine to enjoy the game? How is the sound?
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Tonight I was on TS with Vulcan who runs a XP 1600+ and a Ti4600 and he said "I can't believe how well this runs on this system"
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

would an ati 8500 run it ok? it's only 64 meg :\
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

yes

8500 and other slower cards are covered in this article
http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

Von TeamSpeak if you have the IP right now
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

I wonder if my P4 2.4c/GF4 Ti4200/1Gb DDR would run it great. I would doubt it.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Supposedly it was programmed to run well on just about any semi-currentcard, and that includes the Ti series.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Sage, I run it on a 2.4ghz, 1 gig ram, 9800 pro and runs super.

I just finished the EnPro Plant. Stress, be prepared for more scarey stuff.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

STRESSTEST wrote:yes

8500 and other slower cards are covered in this article
http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

Von TeamSpeak if you have the IP right now
Great link.

Kinda funny, I couldn't see any difference between the high and ultrahigh settings. It was also interesting to see that there no real difference between the Nvidia and the ATI boards.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

how do you think it would run on 256MB RAM, 500mhz, V3 3000...?

:lol: :x
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

lol
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I guess if I want to play Doom 3 I will need to get myself another vid card. Looks like a G-Force 2 won't cut it.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I'll see how it does on my XP2100 with 512MB and GF3 Ti500. No way I'm forking the cash for new hardware, it's fast enough for everything else..
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I think the slowest thing you should even consider would be a GF4 MX 440
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

STRESSTEST wrote:I think the slowest thing you should even consider would be a GF4 MX 440
The Geforce4 MX line is based on the Geforce2 Ultra hardware. Geforce3 > Geforce4 MX.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

For those of you who have played the game, how do you go about entering a new room? Personally, I take it very slowly, scanning the floor, ceiling, every nook and cranny with my flashlight to make sure none of those damn Imp things are going to jump me. Does anyone out there just run and gun?

Who's the sadistic bastard who designed this facility? Why are there no god damn lights?

Damn, this is game is creepy.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

I love creepy games. I remember going through the mines in D1 for the first time... I haven't bought (or downloaded, for that matter ;) ) a game in like 3 years, but I might have to check this one out.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Runs decently @ 1024x768 medium details on my 9700PRO. I wouldn't suggest any higher than that though.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Here's a few screenshots, just for fun.

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Awaiting big-image oppression in 3... 2... 1...
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

No AA or AF turned on. I never play with that crap on. Most other games I run at 1600x1200 where there is hardly any jaggies at all.

Only thing I turned on was vsync in the doom3 setup. It doesn't run fast enough to be held back by my refresh rate, so I turned it on to make sure there wasn't any tearing.

It runs quite well. I will probably wait until after HL2 comes out to upgrade to a newer video card. I went to BestBuy today to see if they had any 6800GTs and the sales guy laughed at me.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

DCrazy wrote:Awaiting big-image oppression in 3... 2... 1...
Big image oppression? Screw that, they are all under 100k.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

But they make us scrollz de screen!!1!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Damnit, wheres Merlin when you need him?

Ohhh whiiiinerrrrr? Heeeere whiner whiner whiner! :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Woohoo, yet another unimaginative first-person shooter. I'm jumping up and down for joy :roll:. When the gaming industry starts actually doing something groundbreaking, instead of going for pretty graphics, give me a call, and I might consider buying something.

(Let the flaming begin :P)
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Top, have you actually played the game? Its amazing. You want groundbreaking? Look at the use of light and shadows to create a mood / environment that I have never before experienced in a computer game. Combine that with the extraordinary sound design and what you get a completely unique gaming experience.

The core gameplay mechanics may still be the same, but the environmental immersion and sheer fearing enducing direction of the game is just down right amazing. If this game doesn't break new ground, I'm frightened to see the game that does.

Doom 3 is sweet.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I have to agree with Top, what happened to pioneering in games? Yea, I admit there's new shaders, new graphics, new animations, but what happened to new ideas? Descent is the perfect example, it not only had ground breaking graphics, like doom 3/Halo2/Half Life2, it also had an unheard of 3 dimentional flight. I have yet to see games that do that anymore. Homeworldand descent seem to be the last games like that.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Top, why should I whine? The rules only apply to me, thats something I've come to accept.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Good! Now stfu
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

amd 64 3200 with nvida 5900 at 1024x768 at high detail, supersmooth and i'm on my 5th pair of underwear!
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

rofl!
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Only one part has really scared me so far: after Hell was opened, I went into the bathroom near the Reception / Marine HQ and decided to check myself out with the flashlight. The 2 second red-shaded cutscene caught me completely off guard. Like, whoa.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Arch wrote:Top, have you actually played the game? Its amazing. You want groundbreaking? Look at the use of light and shadows to create a mood / environment that I have never before experienced in a computer game. Combine that with the extraordinary sound design and what you get a completely unique gaming experience.

The core gameplay mechanics may still be the same, but the environmental immersion and sheer fearing enducing direction of the game is just down right amazing. If this game doesn't break new ground, I'm frightened to see the game that does.

Doom 3 is sweet.
No, I've never played the game, and I don't plan to. I played the original Doom once and got bored within five minutes. I personally hate the entire generic FPS genre. I don't care how pretty it looks; it's just a very old game in a new wrapper. Underneath it, you can still find the same tired old gameplay. I don't consider graphics revolutionary; they're just a response to more advanced hardware. Gameplay, however, is independent of graphics, and it's something that most new games have lacked for a long time.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

Top Gun wrote:
Arch wrote:Top, have you actually played the game? Its amazing. You want groundbreaking? Look at the use of light and shadows to create a mood / environment that I have never before experienced in a computer game. Combine that with the extraordinary sound design and what you get a completely unique gaming experience.

Doom 3 is sweet.
No, I've never played the game, and I don't plan to. I played the original Doom once and got bored within five minutes. I personally hate the entire generic FPS genre. I don't care how pretty it looks; it's just a very old game in a new wrapper. Underneath it, you can still find the same tired old gameplay. I don't consider graphics revolutionary; they're just a response to more advanced hardware. Gameplay, however, is independent of graphics, and it's something that most new games have lacked for a long time.
dude, pay the $60 and get the game, it's well worth it and will make you a fanboy :lol:
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Top Gun wrote:Gameplay, however, is independent of graphics, and it's something that most new games have lacked for a long time.
Boooooooo.

Some people don't understand that things like atmosphere and presentation play a HUGE role in whether or not a game is enjoyable. Argue all you want to about dry, academic "gameplay". If it's not pretty, I'm not playing it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

To whuppinboy: The new system I'm getting for college would probably still be too slow for it, and I'm not going to upgrade it for a single FPS :P.

To Tetrad: While the look of a game is important and does add to its overall feel, I think too much emphasis is placed on graphical complexity over generally fun gameplay. Why do people still play the original Descent when D3's graphics are much more advanced? Simple: it has the utterly fun, pulse-pounding gameplay that we all love. The same goes for much older games, like Space Invaders, Pac-Man, or Asteroids. They may not have wonderful specular lighting effects or fog simulation, but they have fundamentally great gameplay. I, for one, am willing to take a hit in graphics if a game is fun to play, especially if it means not having to buy a system that came off the assembly line yesterday. Games today are getting so resource-hungry, it's unlikely that I'll buy a new game anytime soon. I've still got my old favorites, graphics or not :).
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Doom IS graphics, for the simple fact that it's a storytelling game. Just like Max Payne 2's major claim-to-fame is photorealistic textures (they are indeed photographs) and storytelling, so is Doom 3's.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have little to comment on about the textures in Doom 3, you rarely get to see them because it is so freaking dark! They could pratically put in mostly 64x64 textures from D1 and still pass this as a modern game with how dark it is. Spooky as hell tho, I like it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

if anyone remembers, Half-Life one was all about atmosphere. Scared a lotta ppl with it's uber creepyness and awesome sound FX. From all I've heard, Dm3 is the same thing all over agian. Now, we'll have to see how well it mods. ;)

Krom, turn the flashlight on. .or for you Brits, the electric torch.