New car time

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

New car time

Post by Arch »

I'm just about finished with college and as soon as I graduate (in November) I'm going to be getting a new car for myself. Right now, the two cars I'm looking at are the Acura TSX and the Honda Accord. As it turns out, the TSX is built on the same platform as the Accord, so they are fundamentally the same with different styling. I want to get it loaded, as the car I'm driving now, a 1996 Accord, doesn't have any options. No power locks, windows, or cruise control. For the Accord I'm looking at the Coupe V6 with the 6-speed manual. For the TSX I'm looking at either transmission, either the 5 speed auto with sport shift, or the short throw 6-speed manual.

What I'm looking for is opinions from you guys on the styling and such of each car. I know there's some car guys in here, so I figured I'd toss this out there.

Things are going to get very interesting in 3 months.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

I personally would go with the Accord. I think the TSX LOOKS better, but I like the powertrain on the Accord better. You can't argue with a 240 horsepower V6, 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and 14.5 second quarter mile at 98 miles per hour. That's a whole lot quicker than the TSX's inline 4 cylinder( 0-60 in 7.9 ). From what I understand the interior on the Accord is more roomy. Either way, the manual transmission is going to be like butter. I think the two are roughly the same price as well.

If you want opinions on styling, then I have no comment. I personally don't prefer the looks of either of them.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

The TSX is based on the European Accord. Same concpet different platfrom. I like the TSX a lot, drives real nice. Needs more power, of course I always say that. :P
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

I dont know how old you are or if your parents will be paying for the inshurance or not, but seriously check into how much the inshurance is gonna cost.

I was all set for buying a new vehicle till I started looking at how much the inshurance was gonna cost me.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Honest Bob wrote:I dont know how old you are or if your parents will be paying for the inshurance or not, but seriously check into how much the inshurance is gonna cost.

I was all set for buying a new vehicle till I started looking at how much the inshurance was gonna cost me.
I'm 22, and I pay for my own insurance now on my current car. Even though I pay it, the insurance policy is a seperate policy under my parent's name, so I benefit from all of their discounts and that sort of thing. No accidents or speeding tickets either. This last year I paid roughly $1000 for insurance.

Of course this is something that I'm going to look into, I'm sure it will be less than what I paid when I was 18-19.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

I'm 21. My '98 Grand Prix GTP costs me $2100 a year, and my '02 Maxima costs $3000 a year.

2 not-at-fault accidents and no tickets. :x :shock:
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Jagger wrote:I'm 21. My '98 Grand Prix GTP costs me $2100 a year, and my '02 Maxima costs $3000 a year.

2 not-at-fault accidents and no tickets. :x :shock:
That sucks dude, who is your insurance company? I'm with state farm. I get all sorts of discounts on my policy, including a "good student discount" worth about $400 a year.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

What's funny is that's after a good student discount AND a safe driver discount. I just don't get my 25+ years old 'old people' discount. ;) I also pay less because where I live is considered a 'safe' neighborhood.

I have insurance through AAA. Fairly comprehensive coverage, too.