Job Interview Etiquette?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Job Interview Etiquette?

Post by Arch »

Here's the situation. I'm currently going through the first stages of the interview process with a rather large networking company. I already spoke with an individual on the phone about a potential position. At the close of our conversation he said he needed to speak with a few people and that he would be back in touch. I told him that I was going to be out of town for a week or so and gave him my cell number so he could contact me. All seemed well and good.

Now I'm out of town and away from my apartment phone. On a whim yesterday I asked my roommate if I got an calls at the apartment and he told me that some guy from the company called late last week, on Friday or Saturday. He told the guy I was out of town and figured he would call my cell phone so he didn't bother to mention it to me. How convenient. The guy never called me on my cell phone.

So I call him yesterday, there's no answer so I leave a voice mail. I didn't hear back from him. Here's where my question comes in. Do I call him again today to try to get a hold of him, or do I give him a few days to get back to me?
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Lol... Sounds like I've got the same problem about calling a girl :P
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

you gotta act interested but don't overdue it. don't sound desperate. actually, come across like a complete idiot and they should hire you right away...look at our president
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Actually, presidents in America are elected.
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

I would say that it depends on what you said in the voicemail you left yesterday. I'm hoping you gave some explanation for mixup. If not, I'd absolutely call again. Even if you did, calling again probably wouldn't hurt you in the process, unless the guy's a complete jerk.

As the owner of a tech business, I've done a bit of interviewing. If there was some sort of confusion, I certainly wouldn't mind being called again. You don't want to be a pest, or give the impression that you're too needy, but a reinforcement of your interest is usually a positive move.

Even if you got voice mail again, you could say something like:

"Hi ______, this is Arch. I apologize for calling again, but I'm afraid there might have been some miscommunication, and I didn't want you to get the idea that I've lost interest. When we talked last, I told you that I would be out of town this week, and left you my cell number. Unfortunately, I've been out of service range from time to time, and I was concerned that I might have missed your call. Yesterday, I spoke to my roommate, and he told me that you called late last week, but for whatever reason didn't let me know about it..."

Then, make sure you give him the cell number again.

Btw, I don't know how much experience you already have, how old you are, or any of that stuff, but I'll give you a couple of tips anyway :)

1. Be confident, but NEVER cocky. This should apply to life in general, but especially in interviews.

2. Always try to be a little bit humble.

3. Be friendly and courteous, but DON'T ever treat the person interviewing you like a buddy, even if you get the idea that you'd be buddies after you got the job.

Good Luck!
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Thanks for the advice, I left a message similar to that yesterday, and I gave my cell number again, nice and clear incase maybe he heard or wrote it down wrong when I spoke with him last.

As it turns out, I've already worked for this company, at this same location, in a little different capacity. During my previous co-op employment I was responsible for actually supporting the requests of the individual I was talking to among other. So, I'm already familiar with the facilities, the people, the culture, and how things are run. I've actually done work for this individual in the past, but I'm still approaching the situation as professionally as possible.

I have a feeling he's not in the office this week and may be working from home. I think I'll call again today, and speak with him if he's there, but not leave a message if he isn't.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Jeff250 wrote:Actually, presidents in America are elected.
Or so they say...;)
Tricord wrote:Lol... Sounds like I've got the same problem about calling a girl :P
"Hello, this is Tricord and I am interested in applying for the position listed as 'boy friend'. Please review my resume and if interested, feel free to check this box." :-P
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

At the job I'm at now, I interviewed in January, got hired in May. :roll: I tried to call every two weeks or so for updates since I didn't NEED the job right away. If it were me, I'd seperate my calls by at least a week.
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

Iâ??ve managed staffs from 3 to 40 & am currently a network administrator. Repeating the cell number to him â??nice & clearâ?
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

dont try to lift one of the tiny women with a vaccuum. bosses dont really have a sense of humor about that. you'd think they would, but you can believe me when i say - they don't.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

[quote="ArcherOmega"]Iâ??ve managed staffs from 3 to 40 & am currently a network administrator. Repeating the cell number to him â??nice & clearâ?
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

Glad to hear things are working out, Arch.
ArcherOmega wrote:...Donâ??t go humble, stay professional, and call them immediately. Say something like:

â??Thank you for calling back. I still have a strong interest in the position and would do my best to build a team, help others develop, and share what I have learned. A good company needs experienced professionals, and I look forward to hearing from you.

You may reach me at my home line, or, for an immediate response, directly at my cell. The numbers are â?¦..
Sorry, AO, but I agree with Arch, engineering types (at least all of the ones I know, and I know quite a few) don't go for BS self-sales pitches. And, by humble, I don't mean timid. But, whatever works for whoever it works for...
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

kurupt wrote:dont try to lift one of the tiny women with a vaccuum. bosses dont really have a sense of humor about that. you'd think they would, but you can believe me when i say - they don't.
LMAO i remember the day you posted your adventure on that

"operation midget lift"
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Man, I'm looking for a job. It sucks.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Good news on the job front. Got an email back from the manager, I'll be flying down on Thursday for an interview, on their dime of course.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Showing up clothed is a plus.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Sting_Ray wrote:Showing up clothed is a plus.
Depends on where you're interviewing, doesn't it? ;)
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

Happy to help, unemployment is a terrible thing. I had no idea Arch knew his employer personally already, & of course that changes the lexicon. :lol:

I completely agree with Jagger, clothed or unclothed, any response really does depend on where you are interviewing. Obviously, you donâ??t give my response if you are applying for a job with an old friend at MTV, but it is considered very proper at IBM (where I used to work). :roll:

I donâ??t agree with referring to my answer as a â??BS self-sales pitchâ?