Insomnia

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Insomnia

Post by Mobius »

I am suffering from insomnia. I occasionally get it - and always have - but as I age, it seems to be getting worse. I'm not stressed about anything, and I'm not *worried* about not sleeping - I just lie in bed, err, not sleeping. Image

For two nights in a row I think I've had no sleep at all - and my eyes are starting to go funny, and my hands have the shakes - which pisses me off because I can't even work on my International Space Station model!

Ever seen one of those John Romero Zombie movies? Well, that's just how I feel. Eyes feel like they are running in sockets lubricated with sand. Head feels woozy from lack of sleep.

On top of this, today it's over 30 degrees C and humid as Indonesia - which is NOT helping. *sigh*

Does anyone else get insomnia? What do you do for it? I have tried all the usual stuff; relaxation techniques, drugs, warm milk etc. Nothing is working. All these things do is make me really relaxed and cruisey with a full bladder - but still not sleeping! Image

Man I hope I get some sleep tonight!!!11
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

you should post about shampoo. That always helps Image
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Time for Medical Marijuana.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I just do stuff that would make me tired ordinarily...

eat a big meal, take a shower, and herbal sleepy pills.
[fs]duhq
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [fs]duhq »

I get it all the time, I usually work out - it either tires me out, gives me energy to get other things done, or at the very least, I've found time to do that which I never have time to do. Ultimately, have a big steak dinner (heavy meal), do a work out (tire your body), take a shower (smell less) meanwhile downloading relaxation tapes off of a p2p program. Turn the tapes on, go to bed, follow the instructions on the tapes.

It usually works for me!

-DUHQ

PS- right now I'm having a different sleeping issue, I'm working on 36 hour days - up for 24, down for 12. Anyone ever heard of this? Can anyone tell me why that might be happening?
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

I get insomnia every so often as well. My cure? I get a bottle of Nyquil and take a few gulps. Works like a charm Image

and yes, I'm serious.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Why don't you just count sheep?
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Insomnia is crappy. I had it for a while really bad when i quit smoking. Just watched films aall night.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

I do things I'm not allowed to post here. Helps most of the time.. Image
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

i know how u feel man

every now and then i just cant sleep at all, it gets really bad about the 3rd day of no sleep, the 4th day u just want to hang your self
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Take a lesson from Harpo Marx, sleep it off Image
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

I've never had it as bad as you. I just watch my caffiene intake and try to follow a routine sleep schedule.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

Know your pain Mobi. Watch out for your carb intake, and caffeine. try some weed i guess... would be funny if you got high instead of stoned, tho Image
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I have quite the opposite. If I go to sleep and nothing wakes me, I sleep at least twelve hours straight. Especially now, univ courses are over and we get a month study time on our own. I go to bed at 11PM and I get up when my mom calls for lunch the next day at noon Image

I usually take a rather long time before I actually fall asleep once I get in bed. So I compensate by reading half an hour before turning off my lights, even when I get home from bars at 5AM Image
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i was gonna suggest you masturbate to give you an endorphin rush, except, i'm sure you do that constantly so it would be redundant.

^_^
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Cops is astute!

Well, I got 5 hours last night - so it's off to work I go!
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Usually if I load myself on caffine near lunch (80+mg) then I get really tired around bedtime. Or maybe it might make it worse.

Have you tried reading a really boring book?

And waht did you do to help? Image
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

p++
BlackFalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlackFalcon »

Mobius, have you gotten your insomnia professionally diagnosed? Because I had what I thought was insomnia and it turned out to be sleep apnea. Usually sleep apnea is found only in over-weight people, and is caused by obstuctions in the throat which in turn cause you to come out of a deep sleep or keep you from sleeping at all. However, you don't have to be over-weight to have it. I myself am suffering from sleep apnea and I'm 6'2" and 165 lbs, so I guess there are oddball cases where people develope this condition without reason. There are surgical options to help with this, such as getting your tonsils and adnoids removed and even shortening the uvula. There are also machines that can help you breate better before you go to sleep, helping to you have a more restful sleep and fall asleep easier. Both options work just as well, in fact I just had all 3 surgerys performed, and am already sleeping better at night and waking up feeling more refreshed and rested in the morning...without alarms or medicine of any kind too.

If it turns out that sleep apnea is not the cause, there are many many many tips you can help yourself get to sleep with. Some of them aren't as obvious or expected. One example would be that if you can't fall asleep within 30 minutes, that you should get up and do something, like watching TV. Zoning out in front of the TV or computer aids in the creation of new brain cells and often propmts the brain to start emitting alpha waves, which are similar to the same alpha waves found when one is sleeping. Of the two options however (TV and computer), TV is recommended as interaction with any sort of electronic device that requires a deeper level of though usually stimulates the brain and makes it even harder for you to sleep.

There are an incredible ammount of information and tips out there that can help you. I just gave you a small dabbling in to what I've learned so far, but I hope it was beneficial.

Good luck getting sleep.

It's amazing what you learn when you have the condition...

EDIT: Oh and Duhq, they also say to avoid any sort of physical activity before trying to sleep. If it works for you, great, but it might be the solution for somebody else.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

I've had some nasty insomnia for the past few months, getting 3-4 hours of sleep in 20 minute bites per night, on a good night. No REM cycles Image

Nothing I did helped, but it stopped recently, when I got my cat. I wasn't stressed about anything, but a kitten purring herself to sleep next to you in bed puts me out like a light, it seems.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Your insomnia goes away with a cat?! That's when mine starts... the fricken thing always wants to go over to the other side of the bed. I'm a light sleeper usually, so this is very bothersome when you are woken up at regular intervals. The doors in this house suck so I've had to jam heavy boxes in front of them so the cat doesn't get in. But the meowing is almost as bad (and it makes me feel upset Image). Sometimes I let her in only to regret it.

The other one is very nice about it. She just kinda lays there. Problem is that she drools. Image Very different personalities, my two cats have.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Well, the first night I had hre she was sad that I left her downstairs and climbed the barrier. So I put her in a cardboard box near my bed (good 3 feet high) with her litter box. She climbed on top of the litterbox and jumped out, so I put her back downstairs, and she cried, so I let her in. She sleeps in my room every night now. I guess I'm soft hehe.

She doesn't squirm or drool, but she does fall asleep on me while I watch TV (downstairs) before I go to bed, which means I wake her up when I go to bed and she wants to play. So I have to let her chase my feet under the blankets or wrestle for 15 minutes and tire her out again, or else she bashes me in the nose until I do.
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

bah, my cat owns your cats (but sometimes it sucks). My cat loves me, and always wants to be with me, and he's extremely affectionate. So wherever I go, he's always following me, purring, trying to jump up on me, and as soon as I sit or lay down, he jumps up and begins finding interesting ways of wrapping his body around me. His favorite thing to do is, when I'm going downstairs, to jump on the banister so that when I pass him he can just step out and onto my shoulders. Cute, but it gets even worse at night.

He likes to sleep stretched out over my neck. Needless to say this results in suffocation, so I don't let him. But if he can't be on my neck, he likes to be under the covers, or next to my head licking my sideburns. (I guess they feel like cat fur?) And he has a very nasty habit of digging his claws in whatever material is under them when he's excited, and that material is usually my skin.

But how can you not just love a cat that jumped straight up onto your chest as soon as you walk by him? Image

(sorry for hijacking your thread mobi Image to stay on topic I will say that having the cat in my room contributes to my insomnia Image)
Pink Panther
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pink Panther »

My cat owns everyone's cats. Image He is really affectionate, and likes to sit in your lap or on the bed and sleep. He's also very calm and good natured, even with our little kitten, who loves to ambush him and bite his ear. The kitten is really secure, even more so than Kali, but she is addicted to ham. She will climb up your leg if she thinks she can reach ham by doing so. Image

Sorry about contributing to the thread hijacking. Scorch made me do it.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

do pushups while drinking nyquil and masturbating
Akasha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Akasha »

o_0

Moby, why are you posting on a video game bulletin board if you have a serious problem?