Anyone live near West Hollywood, CA? Help

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Anyone live near West Hollywood, CA? Help

Post by Birdseye »

I buy and sell music equipment over the internet. Looks like I have been scammed. Seems to happen to me about once a year but I make enough money from home for schooling that its still worth it. This time though the scam was huge, 2,000 dollars. About 1/12 of what I make a year. ****. Heh.
I don't want to get into how much of a dumbass I am, so...

The guy's address is:
Aron Jones
8491 w. sunset bl #237
West Hollywood Ca 90069

I was just wondering if someone could drive by this location. From the Fedex overnight tracking I can tell this is a business location, because it was signed for by a receptionist. This is a definite bonus for me.

"844985333244 - tracking number
Signed for by
.KWAK
Ship date
Jan 15, 2004
Delivery date/Time
Jan 16, 2004 9:57 am
Delivered to
Recept/Frnt desk
Delivery location
LOS ANGELES CA

All I was wondering is if someone could drive by and see what business this is. Signed for by KWAK, the receptionist. Could this be a radio station, or record label? hmm.

Also, anyone know how to handle theft for tax purposes?

Thanks

Birdsigh
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I would call the local police dept. With the proof you have, shouldn't be difficult to get things straightened out.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Googling for "KWAK los angeles" (an a bunch of derivations) returned nothing; I'm sure any broadcast radio station will have a website. So I think it's safe to say that KWAK is a phoeneticism (pronounced like the word quack).
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I already filed a police report. The police are slow and will likely get absolutely nothing solved. I had this happen to me once before and I lost $600. After taking my name and info I was never contacted again and it was nearly impossible to get ahold of the cop who was investigating. Nothing happened.

I found another person who was scammed by the same guy, and he has the funds to hire a private investigator. That's our only hope.

DC, I did some internet searches myself on KWAK using sunset strip, etc. but I really didn't turn up much besides that it is a vietnamese name. I don't know for sure it is a radio station but that's my best guess, unless the receptionist's name must be KWAK.

Could they sign with the name of the location? Or does this have to be the person's name? I am pretty sure it's a name, but that street is full of radio stations and record labels.
Starken
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Starken »

Less than 10 miles from me, but I don't get into that part of town much. I could probably do a drive by this weekend sometime, if no one else responds by then.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

I did a google search for the address. It turns out to be a Boxes & More. One of those stores where you can rent a P.O. Box. #237 is probably one of those boxes. The phone number that I got for them is 323-656-4444.

I hope you can get a good resolution to this!
propain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by propain »

Thats almost funny I work a couple blocks from there, at La Cienega and Beverly. Sorry you got ripped off, you can't trust anyone these days I guess.
I'll see if I can do a drive by tomorrow after work...

And please, no Los Angeles jokes about drive by shootings Image
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

djordan, damn I feel dumb. I used Yahoo and hotbot and turned up no results. I got a hosts file hack on my IE a long time ago and haven't been able to access the root google URL so I haven't been using it.

Had I known it was a PO box I never would have sent it.
A good scam because sunset strip is full of record labels & producers... (he was "selling" microphones and keyboards)

Well, looks like nobody needs to drive by.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Brian, read this on a wakeboard BB that I frequent about 2 minutes before reading yours.

There is a credit card scam going on out of Indonesia right now. I lost $2000 worth of product plus $300 in shipping this weekâ?¦and the guy is at it again with another shop here in North Carolina (by the way if youâ??re the guy and youâ??re reading this, the FBI and Secret Service now know all about you) â?¦luckily I had gotten word back to Hyperlite and they had begun warning dealers. This last order was boxed and ready to ship when it was caught.

All of you out there need to check your credit card statementsâ?¦these guys are getting legitimate credit card numbers from people (off the net I guess) and running them through secure online servers. Everything checks out and the product is gone. Obviously the money is refunded when it is caught but the retailer is out the moneyâ?¦this is the risk of doing business on the net I guess.

All of you have been so great since I started this venture, and this will not deter me from my goal of being the best board shop out there (Iâ??ll be more careful with overseas I can assure you). I needed a way to reach as many consumers and retailers as possible and WakeWorld is the best way I could think of.

Thank you again to all that have supported Trinity and please be careful when dealing with your credit card on line!

Maeghan
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Fusion, I've also lost money to a CC chargeback scam about a year ago, but it wasn't indonesia. I was even a tad bit suspicious and held the goods 14 days before shipping, and the buyer nagging me. I finally caved and sent it, and on the 29th day (after a month no chargebacks). There went my cash.
Sigh... about 3 grand over the last year in theft. That means I worked a month and a half for scammers... time to get in a new line of work ;p

Since it's a PO box i'm pretty much resigned to the funds being gone, though I will keep trying to track him down.

I shouldn't have said 1/2 what i make in a year, i should have said around 1/12
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Here's an idea. Poop in a box for about a week. Package it - and send it to him! Image
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Birdy, you may want to check on the p.o.box rental place and see what liability they have for allowing their box holder to have a package sent to the p.o.box rental companies main address and signing for it. Perhaps if you had know you were shipping to a p.o.box you may have been a little more suspect in shipping there.
The rental company should also have verified that the renter had a legitimate address. Try taking the rental company to small claims court if possible.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Good idea wood.
I don't know anything about small claims court, though.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Small claims is where you go to court and no atty's are involved. Judge hears from both sides, then makes a determination. There is a limit monetarily that you can sue for. Here in MI it is something like $1,700.00.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I know that, I just have no idea about how to start the process. I believe in CA it is 5,000
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
Here's an idea. Poop in a box for about a week. Package it - and send it to him! Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know you're only joking, but this will definitely land you in jail.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Just go to the local court house and ask the nice lady behind the desk how to start the process going. I usually opt for a cop to deliver the summons. Makes for a much better impact.

Probably just a form to fill out and a small fee. Court will take care of things there on. Don't procastrinate. Scammer may have a short time before he folds office.
Also ask the rental place if they have security cam records of people when they sign for a box.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Good ideas, chip. Thanks a lot. Geez, the people here have helped more than the police...