Been away for a while. Can you guys answer me something abo

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Skyler
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Been away for a while. Can you guys answer me something abo

Post by Skyler »

Greets to all those people who even remember who I am!

A couple friends and I were wondering about the good ol' days of Descent 2 and when I run it, it runs about 12903850198325 FPS and it's unplayable, but I don't have a 3DFX card anymore, but an OpenGL one. (GF4)

I was wondering since the source was released, did anyone make any OpenGL versions of the D2 executable? Thanks Image
Skyler
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Skyler »

Found D2XGL but it only ran once, but I don't feel like rebooting. NOW I need to figure out how I can get my Sidewinder to be detected... Hmmm, this brings back old memories. :cry:

I'm using Windows 2000 though Image

Anyone have any ideas, eh?
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

The best is still to have an old dedicated box with the same hardware we used to play way back then. Other than that there's D2X, which supposedly has decent joystick support, but since I'm a keyboarder I wouldn't know.
Skyler
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Skyler »

Last thing I remember about you Tricord, was your Avatar used to be Garbage.
Skyler
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Skyler »

k.

I got Descent 2 running pretty good. Just using 640x480 mode and the poor graphic coding of way back when in '94, makes it pretty stable.

Now....to get the Sidewinder working. I think my efforts for that will be in vain, though. Image
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

No Skyler, that was Tetrad. I used to have a Garfield icon.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Sup Skyler!
Skyler
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Skyler »

Shazbot!

You're right, d'oh!

Whoa Image It's JMEaT!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Skyler, nice to see you again.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

hey sky.
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

heh....i found D2 in the original box for sale at half-price books for 10 bucks...what a ripoff!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Skyler!! Dude, I was just thinkin' about you the other day. Where ya been man?

As for your sidewinder, Tyranny has a thread in the Tech forum on how he got his working. You might have to search for it, but its there.
Skyler
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Skyler »

Searched the tech forums, but only found posts related to getting the correct axis to work. Image I still have my same pilot that I had 4 years ago, even with the 60% rating and 30,000 kills or so...So all my axis(axiis?) are working, but, all I need is for D2 to recognize that I have a joystick plugged into my system.

I don't have any of the latest Sidewinder drivers installed on my system, because I think it's only designed for 95/98. Every time I try to run the sidewinder driver setup, gives me some bogus error about not being able to find _setup and decompress it.

:cry:
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Just a shot in the dark....try the latest drivers for your particular stick. Image Even if it was made for 9x, most likely it will still work on 2k/XP. Even my old Wingman Extreme Digital will work on 2k/XP.
Redbone
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Redbone »

I remmeber you and if its XP OS just change the "MODE" its running in
Redbone
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Redbone »

I remmember you and if its XP OS just change the "MODE" its running in
Skyler
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Skyler »

I have two Sidewinder 3D Pros, in mint condition, too! They just collected dust in my closet shelf, because Descent is the only game I have ever liked to play with a joystick.

The Sidewinder 3.02 drivers directly from Microsoft's website does not install on Windows 2000 apparently. Anybody know if there are any archives?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

holy crap sky! Last time I saw you was on Chro/Pserv whichever and that was 3 years ago already Image That and I lost your ICQ *slaps forehead*

As for getting the 3D pro working in D2 I assume you have all the correct stuff right? (D2x 0.2.5 or the latest CVS 20031107 *I recommend 0.2.5 personally*) the latest sdl.dll file for correct sound and your 3D Pro is showing up in the Gaming Devices display in Windows.

If all of that is in order, then D2 should see your joystick just fine. Lemme know if I listed all the things that you have and then perhaps we can work from there. This might end up being moved to the tech forum, so keep an eye out Image
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i've tried so many times, and the only time i've ever succeeded was when i dual booted with windows 98se. even then it was a hell of a fight, but i eventually managed to get d1 and 2 working. alot of work though, so much that i've opted not to do it again ;/
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Hmmm...I wonder if a copy of my win 3.1 would help. Along with my copy of DOS 5.0 of course.

And yeah Skyler, I seem to remember your avatar had big sunglasses or 3d shades.
Skyler
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Skyler »

Spaceman Spiff. Image :wave: WoodChip

Tyranny, CVS 20031107? I can run D2X 0.2.5 just fine. It used to run only once, but, I think I fixed that problem. Can you walk me through it? I'm not on ICQ often anymore, but I'll pop on if you need me to, 1203046, or you can E-Mail me at jaldarith@comcast.net.

Thanks bud Image