Tonights movie Matrix Reloaded

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Tonights movie Matrix Reloaded

Post by woodchip »

Finally getting to see the last part of this wonderfully entertaining triology. Had to pause in the middle of the battle to save Zion. Been eating a bunch of salted shelled peanuts and I have to get some liquid refreshments. The digger machine is pretty cool and I'm rooting for the two chicks to kill it.
Got my wine bottle so back to the action.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I thought Reloaded was the second one. I think you're thinking of Matrix Revolutions :P.

I haven't seen Reloaded or Revolutions.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Reloaded is the second one. Revolutions is the 3rd and final. Damn, I need to stop biatch slapping you apparently ;)
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

I liked the first one, but I couldn't really get into the second one. I got kind of bored with the political infighting and domestic problems back in Zion. I'm gonna go back to it, I think I just wasn't in a very good mood the last time.

Thanks for the reminder WC. :)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well I guess all those head butts I gave out over the years are having a affect on my cognitive abilities. I stand corrected. The 3rd matrix is Revolutions.
Anyone reminded toward the end where Reeves's character is looking upon the master machine , a strong similarity to Frodo putting on the ring and gazing at Sauron?
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Id just like to interject that the 2 sequels are terrible. Too much of a good thing like excess fighting, excess philosophical and sometimes pseudointellectual philosopho bable is not a good thing and doesnt make for a good movie. They tried to hard for the last two. At least Reloaded was bearable sans Keanu's bare bum.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I actually found all the 3 movies to be non exciting. Just not my style.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I just rented and watched all three movies again last weekend. For my wife, it was the first time she had seen all three. Personally, I liked Reloaded and Revolutions, and I really even enjoyed the philosophical stuff.

Whereas the first movie was just basically action-oriented, its appeal had much to do with the philosophical question, "What is real?" I mean, when The Matrix was first released in the theater, I remember it sparking a number of long discussions with friends about the nature of reality.

In the same way, Reloaded and Revolutions fascinated me. One of the primary philosophical questions in these two movies seems to be, "Does humanity have the freedom to determine its own fate ('Free Will'), or is there a set destiny which must come to pass ('Pre-determinism')?" The writers don't fully commit to either answer, and I personally found some of this philosophical stuff intriguing.

One thing I heard a lot of complaints about was the ending (I'll try not to spoil anything here). How many viewers wanted everything to end with all the good guys alive and all the machines destroyed?

As much as that might seem best, how would those still "plugged in" to the matrix survive without it, and would all of them even want to? Think about it... the surface of the earth is basically devoid of life, and the only remaining human city is miles underground.

I really liked the way the writers worked out the ending, and I even noticed some semi-Theological themes (there are a few moments where events occur which seem to parallel the redemption of the world through the life/death/resurrection of Christ, especially in relation to Neo's character).

Disclaimer: Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to say the trilogy was some great timeless classic or anything. I enjoyed it as both an entertaining and thought-provoking series, but it's true there were some AWFUL moments (the celebration in Zion goes on way too long, some of the battle scenes in the dock were pretty ridiculous, and they added a few too many new characters, just to name a few). I guess I just wanted to get my "two cents" in about the aspects that I enjoyed.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

woodchip wrote:Anyone reminded toward the end where Reeves's character is looking upon the master machine , a strong similarity to Frodo putting on the ring and gazing at Sauron?
Actually, I hadn't thought of that, but I do see what you mean. The main difference being that Sauron was a purely evil force, whereas the master machine ends up working with Neo in order to stop Agent Smith.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I appreciate some of the insight the movies brought, but I felt as though the philosophy in 2 and 3 was used as a gimmik. Same goes for the action scenes and everything else, basically took what 1 had done good and bastardized all of them. Overall its just poor execution.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

aww poo on you all! I liked all three of them! :evil: :cry: :P
Arol
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arol »

Xamindar wrote:aww poo on you all! I liked all three of them! :evil: :cry: :P
You tell 'em! :D
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

The first time I watched Reloaded I wanted badly to like it and didn't. The second time, I realized that seeing it in the cinema was a bad thing, the action scenes put me in overload and I missed the subtleties. Many EXTREMELY improtant plot points are very unclear (ie neo's talk with the oracle "[what's your reason for being here]?" "same as you" is a vital piece of information and some serious foreshadowing, bonus points to anyone who can tell me what she meant). Reloaded was more philosophy-rich for me than the original.

Revolutions struck me as less exciting as it seemed the chips were down and al lthat was left was to turn over the cards. But I haven't seen it a second time, I wouldn't b surprised if I missed a lot.