Credit Fraud

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Credit Fraud

Post by llClutchll »

Bastages!

I come home today to see a bill from Gateway. Like I'd ever buy anything from Gateway! It says I bought a Radeon 9800 all in wonder card from them for $471.00

Bank: Quick service, shut off the card and verified all transactions for the past 90 days with me. Fortunatley that was the only bad transaction. Told me if Gateway did not refund my cash, they will put in a request to void the transaction on my behalf. Fairly pleased with their response.

Gateway: In the first place... Who the hell ships to anything other than a billing address anymore? When I talked to them, it was "you have to file a police report before we can proceed". Ok, I file a police report and get the complaint number.
I called them back and they proceeded without the police report info. I asked if they needed it, "oh no, the fraud department will ask you to get one if they need it." GRRR! Now I have $500.00 tied up while these idiots play around. No estimate on when the cash would be released back to me.

BTW: someone got the info off of my card on the web. I have to go over it with the detective next week to try to narrow it down on our end. (This should be pretty easy to nail these guys, they used their home address as the ship to.)

Jerks! Image
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

AFAIK - the international rules regarding credit card fraud is that you are only liable for the first $50 - maximum. Your credit card company should instantly return the transaction, and wipe any interest charged.

If not, cancel your card - and get a new one from a company which has a better fraud policy.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Good info to know! Thanks Mobi!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

And just so you know, its rediculously easy to get information on someone these days. However, heres a couple tips to make it harder on the bastages.

1. When you renew (or get) your driver's license, do not allow them to put your social security number on the card.

2. When paying for something by check, only allow them to mark the month and year that you were born.

3. If you attend a college or school that uses social security numbers as ID numbers, its highly recommended that you really push for them to cease this nonsense and make up their own serial numbers. It doesn't cost them anything since you're paying for the card, and it would only take them a couple mouseclicks to do since you're already in the system.
Poozilla
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Poozilla »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b> AFAIK - the international rules regarding credit card fraud is that you are only liable for the first $50 - maximum. Your credit card company should instantly return the transaction, and wipe any interest charged.

If not, cancel your card - and get a new one from a company which has a better fraud policy.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also (as a former cc risk analyst) your card issuer has full liability for fraudulent use. Do not offer to pay the $50 LL either. Had your issuer been doing their jobs properly this purchase should have been confirmed by you via a call from the issuing company (most do this for 'net and phone transactions over $250.00 now). If Gateway gets huffy about it you can have your issuer file a complaint with Visanet (gateway which controls ALL visa/mc transactions) against Gateway as a party to Identity Theft. That always get their attention.. Image
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Guys, it sounds like he was using a debit card? If he's out $500, that means the money was already withdrawn from his account. Clutch, were you using a debit card?
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Yup... Visa Check card linked to my checking account.

Thanks for the tips guys, it will be easier to deal with these people with the info.

Clutch
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Debit cards offer differnet types of protection than classic credit cards. You are going to need to read the terms for your debit card.

As a general rule of them, don't use your debit card online, people can get your number and easily drain your account because it is linked directly to your checking account. Use a credit card from now on because they have better protection.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I second the advice about social security numbers. Sadly, this number can be linked to so much personal information that it is outright archaic in today's world of lazy good-for-nothing thieves. An SSN should be treated like a root password, don't give it out to just anyone, and haggle those who insist on it.