ISS almost complete! (56K beware)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

ISS almost complete! (56K beware)

Post by Mobius »

I've been assembling the ISS at home the last few weeks. It's been a lot of hard work but I hope you'll agree that the hard work has paid of so far. I have yet to complete the Z1 Truss, PMA 3, the large solar panels, and to fit it all together.

Here's my work area at home. A bit messy, but otherwise a good work-space. Image

WORK SPACE FOR CONSTRUCTION OF ISS

This is the Zvezda module - ostensibly an American component, but made and launched by the Russians. It was the second part of the ISS to be launched back in 1999.

Here's a close up of the detail on the back of Zvevda

This is "Zarya" - the main russian component so far. It was the first part and connects as you'll see in the final photo.

Detail of Zarya

Here's "Unity Node" and the "cupola" (Viewing window) although the cuploa is not due to fly until much later in the assembly process.

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Here's the view the shuttle pilots would get on approach to the ISS for docking at Unity:

The final part I've made (Actually, the first one I did - because it's the easiest) is the US "Destiny" laboratory.

And finally, here's roughly how they'll line up when complete.

PARTS READY FOR FINAL ASSEMBLY

All in all - about 120 hours so far I guess, and maybe another 40 or 50 to go in total. The parts cost $180 to print - laser colour at 600 dpi onto 160 and 270 gram glossy paper. Enjoy. Image
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Cool! Looks nice.

Kids! Follow along with NASA at home! As they put together the ISS you can too! Image

So are you planning on doing the whole thing or just certain parts?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

The models can be downloaded from http://www.marscenter.it/eng/modellismoiss.htm

But I would not recommend it for children. This is some pretty serious modelling - and you have to work with VERY sharp blades. A huge amount of patience and a reasonably high level of skill is required.

I intend to complete all the parts available - and the next items to come to the site will be the Airlock, the four central Truss Segments, Node 2, and finally the two main solar panels for the US section. Ultimately, the Russian solar arrays and the PIRS docking module/airlock will be added also.

I guess it's in the hands of NASA now as to which remaining pieces get launched by the shuttle. There's still those parts listed above as well as the ESA's "Columbus Orbital Facility" -- the Japanese KIBO laboratory and the centrifuge as well as other sundry bits and pieces...
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

For a second I thought you ment the real station, but that's ages away. Image
VaussBait
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VaussBait »

Just curious . . . how are you going to display it when it's done?

-Vauss OUT
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by VaussBait:
<b> Just curious . . . how are you going to display it when it's done?

-Vauss OUT</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess....from his ceiling. Image
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

This is the question I am asking myself right now! How the hell am I going to display it? It'll be about 60cm wide and about 1 metre long - and I have yet to create the space shuttle which will be hang "down" about 30cm from Unity Node.

My current thinking is this: A 3mm stainless steel rod through the centre of the components you see in the final image, ending at the space shuttle - and using epoxy resin to secure the parts to the rod. Another rod to go up through the S0 truss which supports the large solar arrays - like a big "T" shape.

Then I will hang the whole lot on the ceiling - but exactly how to do this isn't apparent as yet. I don't know if I want the structure fixed in position, or rotating like a mobile.
Poozilla
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Poozilla »

Use something high-tensile but in clear acrylic(?). That way you can manipulate the background and give it the illusion of zero-gee....
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You could always use fishing twine to secure it It'll hold that for damn sure. Your only problem would be tying it off since it has a tendency to straighten out. You might have to use your lighter to lower the rigidity of it slightly so you can tie it off.