Cool JSF video

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Cool JSF video

Post by Dedman »

Way cool JSF Video
Wang_Lo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Wang_Lo »

can i buy one?
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

hot
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

very nice DM.

i find how they designed that engine to be very leading to introduce new engines to jets.

i thought they removed the AB from the X-35? guess not
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

IIRC, the F-36 can go supersonic in level flight without using the AB, like the F-22.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by fliptw:
<b> IIRC, the F-36 can go supersonic in level flight without using the AB, like the F-22.

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

F-36?? never heard of such a plane

and your type of flight is known as "Super Cruise"
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

My bad, I meant the F-35
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

IIRC there are three versions of that plane, quite an impressive craft tho.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I dunno, you see those big cracks in the canopy. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Not to mention that the marine version can take off vertically like the old harrier jets. Image The rear jet can turn 90 degrees on the X axis giving it more manuverability than practically any fighter out there.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

thats prity cool

question on the cockpit whats the white zigzag lines for cause i see it on alot of jets
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Warlock:
<b> thats prity cool

question on the cockpit whats the white zigzag lines for cause i see it on alot of jets</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that is Det cord (or something similiar) to blow a hole in the canopy in case the pilot needs to eject. During the ejection sequence, some A/C just blow the whole canopy off (F-14, F-16, F-18), while some only blow a whole in it (harrier). Others don't do anything to the canopy. The ejection seat just goes right through it (A-6).
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yet another reason to avoid having to eject from a fighter.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

WHOA! That's one very maneuverable aeroplane! Image
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

oic

thanx Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by [NuB] Dedman:
I believe that is Det cord (or something similiar) to blow a hole in the canopy in case the pilot needs to eject.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a weaker cousin to primacord if memory serves. Been a while since I've visited Jane's so don't hold me to that. Image
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

DM is right, that white line on some aircraft is a PrimerCord explosive that cuts the canopy out only milliseconds before the rockets fire under the seat blasting the pilot out of his crippled bird.

on other aircraft ( older ) it is actually a separation joint, it allows the top brace of the seat to just punch through the canopy without shattering it into razor sharp peices.

on even older planes, when the canopy doesnt move, the seat has a protective "Blast Mask" that the pilot pulls over his face and neck as the seat blasts through the glass.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by [NuB] Dedman:
Others don't do anything to the canopy. The ejection seat just goes right through it (A-6).</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the A-6 has a multi mode ejection system, the canopy can be slid back first before the ejection sequence begins or the pilot and "BN" can just punch through it with their seats. a friend of mine, his father was a A-6 pilot. he told me all about the A-6 and stuff, he even has the Tail Hook from his bird.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Krom:
Yet another reason to avoid having to eject from a fighter.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so would you rather die going down in a ball of fire, get smeared on the earth as your plane slaps into the earth @ 800+ MPH, or would you take your chance of ejecting and at the most getting scratches and cuts?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I believe the forces generated during the deployment of a fighter ejector seat can do the following:

1) Fracture lumbar vertebrae in the initial acceleration.
2) Cause serious whiplash, or broken neck if the head is wrongly positioned.
3) Knock you out instantly

However, better than being "spam in a can"! Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I know for a fact that Mobi is right on the last two. Still, would you rather have a broken neck and survive or be nothing more than a bloodstain covered in scrap metal on the ground?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by AceCombat:
so would you rather die going down in a ball of fire, get smeared on the earth as your plane slaps into the earth @ 800+ MPH, or would you take your chance of ejecting and at the most getting scratches and cuts?</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In your case I think you should remain in the plane, would save people the trouble of burying you.

I have a better idea, dont get in a situation that could require the use of the ejection seat in the first place moron!

-Krom
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b> I believe the forces generated during the deployment of a fighter ejector seat can do the following:

However, better than being "spam in a can"! Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first ejection seats were nothing more than what amounted to an artillary shell with the pilot and seat being the projectile. I think these seast were the ones that did all the lumbar fracturing. The newer seats I believe are a little easier on the body.

Anyone have access to Janes and can enlighten us?

edit: I have a cockpit video of a Thunderbirds pilot ejecting just seconds before impacting the ground during an airshow. He was performing a split-s right after takeoff and miscalculated his altitude. I will post it tomorrow when I get back to work.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Anyone have access to Janes and can enlighten us?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

got ya covered DM, i pulled this info from a USAF technical site that CAP has access to. Image ( DO NOT ASK FOR ACCESS!! I CANT GIVE ANY LINKS TO IT!!! )

DM, the Martin/Baker "Zero-Zero" Ejection seat is the safest and most reliable seat available on the marker to this day, its predominate, "zero" speed-"zero" alititude ejection capabilites are unmatched by any other military ejection seat maker.

no one pilot has ever been injured more than a few simple cuts and bruises while ejecting with a Martin/Baker System

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b> I believe the forces generated during the deployment of a fighter ejector seat can do the following:

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

your theories are correct on early model seats, but as i just stated the Martin/Baker "Zero-Zero" Ejection system is pratically fail-safe.

now,
<font face="Arial" size="3"> 2. Cause serious whiplash, or broken neck if the head is wrongly positioned.</font>
That item is impossible issue, for this reason. When a pilot pulls the large Yellow/Black striped handle at his feet, a large series of events happen:

1. the system is already armed prior to takeoff, the handle is basically a trigger per-say, pulling it, activates a firing pin and also closes several electronic switches. the first firing pin is the one that either: blows the canopy off or detonates the PrimerCord laced in the canopy *IE* The White Line in the Canopy * while this is in progress, a few electrical switches close, these switches prepare a spring loaded system that very tightly straps the pilot to the seat, and also releases a head restriant to hold his head on place. now, the canopy is blown off or has a hole cut into it. the next item is, the ejection rockets fire
.............WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!! out goes the pilot. now that the pilot is flying clear of the crippled bird, the next item to happen is the release of a Drouge chute to stabilize the seats freefall that is tumbling wildy out of control. this chute also after stablizing the seat will pull the seat off the pilots back. once the pilot is clear of his seat he can then release the drouge chute on his back to deply the main chute and hopefully come to a safe landing. were even more hopefully he is rescued by a Friendly CSAR ( Combat Search And Rescue ) Unit. now lets say the seat contains sensitive equipment that cant be released to the enemy, well thats covered. the seat contains a homing beacon, that can be tracked and located within a few minutes. the plane, well one of two things can happen to it after the seat has been ejected. 1. explosive charges placed in critical areas are detonated by a small switch that is battery powered. this will destroy most of the critical and senstive electronics and equipment that we dont want to let the enemy have, or 2 the plane hits the ground and destroys itself.

thats the anatomy of a ejection system.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Cool - but if that's the case - how does it save you from a deployment at 30 metres altitude? I've seen footage of modern planes falling off aircraft carriers - and they deploy as the bird slides off the side - and BOOM - they're under a full chute, and landing in the ocean!

Take pity on pilots of the old Twin-Tail Vampire Jet. 50-60% of pilots who ejected had both legs cut off mid-thigh by the ejector mechanism! OOOOWWWW!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I think most modern ejector seats are capable of safely throwing the pilot clear the plane during take off.

Mind you, on an aircraft carrier flight deck, you are fairly high off the sea anyways.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by fliptw:
<b> I think most modern ejector seats are capable of safely throwing the pilot clear the plane during take off.

Mind you, on an aircraft carrier flight deck, you are fairly high off the sea anyways.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, your only real problem is avoiding getting run over by the ship. Image
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Cool - but if that's the case - how does it save you from a deployment at 30 metres altitude? I've seen footage of modern planes falling off aircraft carriers - and they deploy as the bird slides off the side - and BOOM - they're under a full chute, and landing in the ocean!</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mobi, they call it a "Zero-Zero" ejection system becuase it can be succesfully operated at Zero Speed and Zero Altitude and the pilot will return to the ground safely.
LunchBox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LunchBox »

They are building those right across the flight line from where I work. One of the guys in my shop thats a reservist is on R&D for the weapons system on the jet.. Its pretty impressive. He says the only problem so far is the engineers have no idea what they are doing. Whole system are in one 400-500lb box and crap like that.. He is having a hell of a time trying to explain to them what its like to carry just a 200lb transmitter across the flight deck down 3 decks through hatches that you can barely fit though with this monster.. They are starting to think his way though.. He is also saying its way over weight so far..