Movie Questions

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Movie Questions

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Okay, say I were to have a movie in my hand, and I want it at the theaters (BTW, I don't have a movie, this is hypotheical Image ). I have to go through distributors right? What should I do with that movie? Or does anyone at least know of a link that has some info on distributing/producing movies?
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

You mean you've written a script? Video taped (ala blair witch) a movie?

Send it to the big names I suppose.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Get it copyrighted first. This way, if you send it to the big boys, they can't screw you over. Then talk to a publisher I guess.
Akasha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Akasha »

Library of Congress:

www.loc.gov
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

If you have written a screenplay, you need to get it registered with the Screen writers guild before you show it to anyone. That is a must. From there, you shop around for financing, a director, cast, and so forth.

My brother-in-law is a screen writer. He wrote "House of Sand and Fog". If you want or need specifics, I could ask him.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

I never said I was going to *make* this movie. We'll say that I have a movie that someone else made, and I signed a contract with them, they make, I distribute. Just wondering what the steps I go through are to go from movie-in-hand to ticket-in-hand(s).

No, if I actually made a movie (tho I do have $5-6000 of equiptment, so don't get any ideas I would be filming it with a handycam Image ), I wouldn't send it into the theaters Image
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

You have copyright on anything you create - no need to apply for it.

There are some additional things you can do to protect your rights to the work too: Have it notarised by a JP, or a lawyer.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
You have copyright on anything you create - no need to apply for it.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section â??Copyright Registration.â?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

The major problem small peeps (no insult intended!)have with copyright is establishing WHEN the piece was created. So, you must have it notarised or something (as above).

The old/cheap way to go about it was to print the copyrighted material onto a letter-gram (The one-piece, fold-up letter) and mail it to yourself - this establishing a definitive creation date.