Devil and Pog files

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
SnyTek
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Devil and Pog files

Post by SnyTek »

Hi Devilers

I'm currently making a level with Devil and I'd like to use some custom textures (well, that's pretty obvious as I already asked a question about that :P ).

Does anyone know if Devil can handle POG files? I have created a POG file using DTX2 and the file works if I put it in the HOG file - but I can't see the textures in Devil and that makes aligning textures very hard.
I know that the POG file has to have the same name as the level (RL2) itself. But Devil doesn't seem to be very interested in that :( .

Thanks for all hints!

Cheers
SnyTek
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Why not use the updated editor from D2x?
SnyTek
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SnyTek »

Because I've build about 50 levels years ago and just know how to use Devil 8) .

I once tried dle-xp and went crazy cause I even couldn't manipulate a point an the desired direction (I like precise levels :roll: ).

Cheers
SnyTek
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Trust me, anything you can do in Devil you can do in DLE-XP. It's just that the process is a bit different.

Still, I'm not one for forcing people to use new tools if they don't want to and they aren't getting advantages from it...
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

SnyTek wrote:I once tried dle-xp and went crazy cause I even couldn't manipulate a point an the desired direction (I like precise levels :roll: ).

Cheers
SnyTek
I know what you mean.
I once thought as you do. ;)

Its not as hard as it may seem.

Feel free to read about and to get the latest version of DLE-XP HERE.

DLE-XP Forum

Feel free to ask question there about the program.

We can help. ;)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Like you can help with his specific question right? :P

I had a look at DEVIL, SnyTek, and I couldn't find anything related to POG files. If I remember correctly, I had to bring that texture work into DMB2 and set it up there because DEVIL didn't do it natively. However, I never used many custom textures. I know that Lars Christensen (if he's still reading the board) worked with Grant Hallman on the extensively custom textured Nostromo map and he is a DEVIL user. There might be a way, but I honestly do not remember.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Thing is, if Snytek could bring himself to getting acquainted with DLE-XP, his custom texture alignment problems might get solved like nothing.
SnyTek
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SnyTek »

Well, I'm sure DLE-XP it's a useful tool but I didn't use it for ages - and I won't start now just for building one or two levels. Well, if I want to benefit from the new things I'll need to use it. But that's not the case at the moment.

I solved my problems otherwise -> used a texture which I could allign and put the pog file afterwars in the Hog. Ok, it isn't very comfortable but it works :wink: .

Thanks for your support!

Cheers
SnyTek

PS: I found a page with information about Devil and building Descent 1 levels using pig files. I thought if that is possible, D2 would be supported too. But I now think thats not the case. Sad.
SnyTek
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SnyTek »

Kyouryuu, did you have a look at the application itself or do you probably have the source code? With that you certainly could say if Pog files are supported or not...

Cheers
Roger
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I don't have the source code, no. I was looking at the same thing you were.

I think DEVIL's official development by Achim probably stopped before POGs were implemented, although like you say, it's odd that HX1/PG1 support was added by Lars for Descent 1. That would want to imply that POG support found its way into the Descent 2 version.
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by lars »

Hello Everyone.

The Devil source can be downloaded from this page
http://hjem.get2net.dk/dittehus/lac/devilx.htm

Just scroll down to the bottom where the download links are.

As for the question of displaying custom textures in Devil. As far as I can remember it is possible, but I can't remember how. I can't get Devil to run on any of the PC's I have now and I am pretty sure that I can't remember how to use it anyway.

I will take a look in my Nostromo working directory when I get home. Perhaps I can figure out what I did back then.

Lars
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Pumo released a build of Devil that does work under Windows XP. For some reason, I couldn't find it here in the Descent Development forum. I can send it to you if you want. I believe he called it Devil XP.
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by lars »

Ok, I got it running using Pumo's setup.

In the lower right in my screen I have a option window called \"Buttons\".
One of them is \"Change pogfile\", use that to load a pog-file.

I am running Devil 2.2lc3 with Pumo's modifications.

Lars
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Well, there you go, Sny. 8)