D2 -> D3 level converter ever released to the public?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

D2 -> D3 level converter ever released to the public?

Post by Moon »

Alright, first post after roughly 2 years. I just got back from a Descent timeout intrigued by the D1X port. So I thought I'd like to try to convince my buddies to relive the old days by playing some D3 LAN games; yes D3, they can't live without an afterburner...

Anyway, we mostly play Hoard in Stadium and I remembered I always wanted to replay the D1 Chaos levels. Back in the days when D3 was top notch I was in contact with a guy who had done a level converter (D2 -> D3) which he was hesitant to release due to ppl simply ripping off original levels.

Of course, I've lost his mail over the years due to some unexpected hd crash so I can't contact him anymore. So does anyone else know if such a thing is existance, available or worked on? Thanks for any info. And yes, I am aware that a converted level will need some manual adjustment.

EDIT:

Any reason why my sig isn't attached automatically as set in my profile?

EDIT2: Fixing weird typos I overlooked on my first edit :(
--
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Sigs are turned off. Have been for 2 years +

No the level converter was never released.

Welcome back.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

i doubt that such a thing exists (in a good working condition, that is) d2 and d3 are just way to different for such a converter. take the portal system from d3, or cubes vs. polygones, the scripting systems, lighmaps textures etc.

even if there was a converter it would be so much work to finetune the result for d3 that it would be easier to build the mine from scratch i think.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I suppose one idea would be to ask Diedel to add some kind of export functionality to DLE-XP that could output to some common format 3D applications (like OBJ or COLLADA) and D3Edit could understand. At least to copy the raw vertices and faces out. Doors, lights, and textures... you'd be on your own. :lol:

Given the active development on DLE-XP, it might not be a far-fetched feature request.

Of course, D3Edit understands so few file types and I guarantee you, it would be easier to recreate the map in D3Edit than convert it. :|
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

DigiJo wrote:i doubt that such a thing exists (in a good working condition, that is) d2 and d3 are just way to different for such a converter. take the portal system from d3, or cubes vs. polygones, the scripting systems, lighmaps textures etc.

even if there was a converter it would be so much work to finetune the result for d3 that it would be easier to build the mine from scratch i think.
Actually there were 2 DijiJo. And from what I was told they did an near perfect job of converting. They even handled doors well. However, as Moon stated, they were not released for that very reason.

I was working on a D3 conversion of Mount Slagel, the first level in the Chaos Pack. I got burned out on it at something like 85%. Slowguy had helped me with the Lava and a couple of other things.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

Woah, even 2?

Do you think there's any way to contact these guys (who are they, btw) and ask them to dig the tools off of their hd? I mean, today everything that adds something to D3 is a plus, right?

And I still prefer having the tool convert the raw 'grid design' of a level, so I can spend the adjustment time on doors, lightning, triggers and stuff.

Well, RL is hard on me but I'm gonna try to work on those levels in my spare time so what do you say about me taking a peek at your 85% finished level?

So are sigs officially deprecated now or still allowed?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Sure thing, check your PM's. and nope, sigs are 100% kapoot... or is that caput?
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

If you mean 'damaged' or 'out of order' then the word to use is 'kaputt'.
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

What's the status on this?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Sniper, I haven't talked to anyone about the converts in YEARS. I think that they are genuinely lost.