Texturing models for Descent 3?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Texturing models for Descent 3?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

As I understand it, 256X256 textures should be avoided. But which is harder on the Descent 3 engine? 2-4 128X128 textures or a single 256X256 texture? I hate to chop my models up too much. And can current cards handle all 256X256 textures or do we have to still keep it on the low?

Should I make a high resolution texture and then scale it down or just stick with working on the low resolution texture?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

modern cards can handle textures of up to 2048x2048

however, d3 is still hampered by the earlier limit.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yeah, I figured that. I just don't want to cause the game to crash or drop in frame-rate because of high-resolution textures. I know the cards can handle it. But I'm wondering if D3 will still drop frame-rate or crash even with a newer card because of D3's limitations? I know it can handle higher polys but textures may be a different story. I also know that even with a 7600GT, 2GB's of RAM and a C2D CPU, frame-rate drops significantly at high resolutions in large outdoor areas. That can't be a hardware limitation considering I can run newer games at higher resolutions than the resolution I was running D3 in at the time I noticed it.