Descent Level Database

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The image processor did it, and I trust it does the color conversion right. I mean, what's the magic about reducing color depth to 8 bits/pixel. \"I didn't do it right\", OMG. I doubt you will be doing any better, but give me an e-mail address, and I'll send a picture.

I have nothing to add about the readability of plain text on your site. It's bad, and it's clear why it is.

\"Mindless\" means about \"not thought out\".
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You don't have to dim them. You could make them a completely different color, like the light green you already use. Hell, you could even use a different shade of that green.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Diedel, you know where to send it. My emails on the profile page at the DMDB.

UPDATE:
I've changed the requirement for screenshots:

They MUST be 640x480
They MUST be less than 120KB
They MUST be .gif or .png format
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Good to read?

Post by Diedel »

If I knew your e-mail address I wouldn't ask.

Another mindless (thoughtless?) comment.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Guys, lets keep it civil, k?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This is civil, even if it is hard for you to determine it, given your own habits in that area.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:This is civil, even if it is hard for you to determine it, given your own habits in that area.
Then I suggest you rephrase some of your posts in the future. "Mindless" can easily be mistaken for an insult. (ref: idiotic, stupid, etc)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I suggest you re-read this thread. I have explained what I mean with \"mindless\" here.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Just talked to Sniper, and he has agreed to add PNG support.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

For me the fonts are OK. Nevertheless they are dark, but I have this problem on many sites. But That is because I use a very low contrast setting on my TFT.
I correct this with my browser by selecting a larger default-font.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

PNG support in web browsers? Not necessarily a good idea.

Sniper,

gif is on the way. Let me see some magic.

Zico,

ummm, bad contrast is ok because everybody does it? You are having your jester's hat on today, don't you?

I think I have an idea for a signature: \"Swarm intelligence is only good if someone in the swarm actually thinks ...\"
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:PNG support in web browsers? Not necessarily a good idea.
How so? Thats only an issue for those using internet explorer trying to view a png with transparency. If you're worried about people being able to utilize the PNG format, thats not an issue either. Even MS Paint can save to PNG. Its basically JPEG without the ugliness.

btw Diedel, recheck the site again. He's upped the contast a little.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

MD-2389 wrote:How so? Thats only an issue for those using internet explorer trying to view a png with transparency. If you're worried about people being able to utilize the PNG format, thats not an issue either. Even MS Paint can save to PNG. Its basically JPEG without the ugliness.

btw Diedel, recheck the site again. He's upped the contast a little.
MD's right. PNG transparency is a problem in IE6- browsers. But all browsers should be able to view regular non-transparent png files just fine. Support for other file types is on its way too. Just a matter of time.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sniper,

No significant improvement. Imo the descriptive texts in the level description should be close to white. The others should be significantly brighter. How about adding an alternative design for \"bad sighted\" people like me?

Btw, I have returned your \"no spam verification\".

I have found PNG to display slowly even w/o transparency. It works, but it is slow. What's the problem with jpg? Licensing? GIF is proprietary, too.

Edit: I have tried one of my images as palettized 8bpp PNG. It still has 147 KB.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Readable enough for my eyes. Check your display settings?

What color temperature is your monitor set to? My LCD is set to 6500 K while my CRT is at 9300K (given the tube in that monitor is going out). (I have firefox loaded on the LCD btw)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Not good for me. 6500K (Sony Black Flat Trinitron tube in good shape). Different color temperatures will only emphasize different light wavelengths more or less.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Diedel,

As requested. Here's how you properly do file conversion:

Your original file (162.5KB):

My conversion to .gif (119.48KB):

My conversion to .png (119.33KB):

As you can see, the preview images above (both gif and png) are ~1KB below 120KB, and are just fine for a preview graphic.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sorry, but that's not how you do it. It's the final result. How did you do it?

I tried Paintshop Pro 10 and Irfanview, and none of them got this image that far down. You saved over 25% of image size.

If this cannot be done by everyone with some affordable (or free) tool, this is a nice display of what can be done, but not practical at all. I will not spend extra money to satisfy dmdb's image limitations.

Btw, that image as jpg in 800x600 and good quality has less than 90 KB.
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

Guys, look! I found the pinnacle of website design. It's a real winner, don't you think? The graphics only make my eyes bleed a little. All that's missing is a looped MIDI and it'll be stupendous.

http://descent2.de/

Even Geocities pages don't compare to this one.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Diedel wrote:I will not spend extra money to satisfy dmdb's image limitations.
It's ok, then don't. I didn't build the DMDB for you. I built it for everyone. And if the majority of people have problems saving 640x480 files at 120kb or less I will change this.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Re:

Post by zico »

Diedel wrote: Zico,

ummm, bad contrast is ok because everybody does it? You are having your jester's hat on today, don't you?

I think I have an idea for a signature: "Swarm intelligence is only good if someone in the swarm actually thinks ..."
Calm down boy. :)
It was a friendly hint how to work around a problem (no one really cares about). :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sniper,

in other words: Two different common image processors do not deliver the image compression you require, and I should buy another one to satisfy your personal preferences which are based on a setup I cannot reproduce? What conclusion do I have to draw from your not explaining how you achieved that compression? Don't say dmdb is everyone then.

I am one of the first people to upload stuff to your dmdb (and it's good stuff), and I have given you some valid, constructive cricitism, and you just cannot bear it. Instead you give sulky replies. Oh my. I don't need the DMDB at all, my Descent site is pretty popular. In my book was doing you a favor - not the other way round.

Zico,

I am a \"boy\"? So what are you? A diaper wearing thumb sucker, I suppose. You should look the meaning of \"work around\" up, to avoid using it improperly again.

Fartyboy,

one day you will realize how sad it is if your entire \"personality\" is built on the applause you hope to receive for being a dumb troll. Actually people like you are kind of a \"negative mold\", because they define themselves by someone else they try to display negatively. Think about it (if you can).

Just for the record. I didn't start to flame anyone here. So don't blame me, again. Blame the a*holes who just cannot shut their stupid faces up. How about telling the known idiots on this board not to start, instead of telling me not to reply. And most of you love to reply to flames on this board. I am here long enough to know.

/me shakes the dust of this foul place off my shoes.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

awww come on guys..... :roll:

This thread is starting to go down hill with the flamer comments being made here.

This is a good thread about Sniper project, not Diedel's project.
You want to bash Diedel? Do it some where else.
Please lets stick to the subject about the \"Descent Mission Data Base\" part of the thread with constructive criticism - which IMO Diedel is doing.

How about (to those it may concern) leaving the personal attacks to PM?
Surely thats not asking much, is it?

Regards,
Aus
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Seconded. Strong opinions are like big **** - it's great that you have one, but no-one really wants to see it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Sniper - I have a level with an apostrophe in its name. Because this denotes a possessive I am loathe to take it out - anything you can do on that front?

Thanks.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Diedel,

Provisions have been made so that virtually anyone can upload a level with a screenshot. You can use gif, jpg or png. If you like the DMDB, and want to offer suggestions please do so. But please leave your insults as to everyone elses lower superiority and intelligence at the door - no one wants to hear it. I've been more than accommodating to you, and more than a gentlemen in hearing your opinions/views on the matter. If you just can't stand how the DMDB is built, you don't like the way it works, and you cannot post your suggestions in a civil way then I'd rather you just not use it. I want everyone to use it - bit only for fun, not for flame. The least you can do is show the least but of respect, if not for me, for everyone else here. Please.

Sirius,

You should be able to upload your level now. I had the ' out in the beginning because I was worried about SQL injection but that's not a problem anymore.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sniper,

Actually I have had a lot of patience with your constant rejection of valid input from me. You haven't even explained how to reach the high compression rate you have achieved. While color is a matter of taste, may I suggest that contrast is not.

So far you have constantly been saying \"no no no\" and then silently doing it anyway. :) Of course this is a good thing, but why can't you just take what I am saying for what it is: Constructive criticism by someone with a keen eye and an interest in helping you with what you are doing? You cannot expect everybody to feel and think like you do.

I haven't insulted you at all. If you cannot take constructive criticism please at least don't try to turn it against me. Actually I find your last post as unjustified as offensive.

Finally, if you act thoughtless (proper word?), don't complain if you're being told. That has nothing to do with putting people down for \"inferior intelligence\".
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Diedel wrote:So far you have constantly been saying "no no no" and then silently doing it anyway. :)
I am making adjustments when people give me constructive criticism in a calm human manner. I don't make changes immediately based upon one's personal wishes. This has held true for anyone on this thread.
Diedel wrote:I haven't insulted you at all.
Really? You've insulted many people on this thread alone, including myself, and given no respect to any of the mods here:
Diedel wrote:Your last comment was pretty mindless, my friend.
Diedel wrote:This is civil, even if it is hard for you to determine it, given your own habits in that area.
Diedel wrote:You are having your jester's hat on today, don't you?

I think I have an idea for a signature: "Swarm intelligence is only good if someone in the swarm actually thinks ..."
Diedel wrote:So what are you? A diaper wearing thumb sucker, I suppose. You should look the meaning of "work around" up, to avoid using it improperly again.
Diedel wrote:one day you will realize how sad it is if your entire "personality" is built on the applause you hope to receive for being a dumb troll.
Diedel wrote:Blame the a*holes who just cannot shut their stupid faces up.

Mr. Diedel. The DBB may not ban you, but I can. You are no longer openly invited to the DMDB.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You may not have noticed that I had pulled my levels back from the dmdb already.

I hadn't expected so much arrogance and falsehood from you, given my explanation of how \"mindless\" was meant. Apparently you are also too dumb to properly read (I wrote I did not insult you), or distinguish an insult from a humorous remark.

Anyway, you simply cannot take the truth. Your problem.

Let me conclude with a hearty FU. You have just proven that you are an idiot (which is far more a matter of the character than of the intelligence).
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Bakdraft »

Diedel wrote:a typical arrogant reply
tl;dr

;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

A typical trollish comment from a person 90% of whos posts are of the same quality. You aren't even worth the bullet to shoot you.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

UPDATE:

I've changed the password box to a real password box, by request. I figured people probably aren't scrambling to look over your shoulder to hack into your DMDB account, but if you're at work - it could be a problem.

FEATURE REQUEST:
What does everyone think about the idea of registered users being able to post \"comments\" about each level?
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Bakdraft »

Diedel wrote:A typical trollish comment from a person 90% of whos posts are of the same quality. You aren't even worth the bullet to shoot you.
Yes, Diedel, please continue to contribute to this thread while making personal threats over the INTERNET.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Re:

Post by zico »

Sniper wrote: FEATURE REQUEST:
What does everyone think about the idea of registered users being able to post "comments" about each level?
A very nice idea as I think. Developers could get great feedback this way.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Bakdraft wrote:Yes, Diedel, please continue to contribute to this thread while making personal threats over the INTERNET.
....and you are contributing to this thread how?
Your comments are no better.... :roll:

Back on Topic

Sniper,
Yeah maybe a star rating system and comments would be nice. :)
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:Yeah maybe a star rating system and comments would be nice. :)
As opposed to the current rating system? You need to login to see the rating system. Only registered members can rate the missions.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Sniper wrote:
Aus-RED-5 wrote:Yeah maybe a star rating system and comments would be nice. :)
As opposed to the current rating system? You need to login to see the rating system. Only registered members can rate the missions.
hehe - my bad! :lol:

Either way. Comments is a good idea for reg users. ;)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Great start Sniper, ignore the cannon fodder

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

Contributing doesn't necessarily require me to do it in the thread, y'see. 8)
Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

Let me say some words to this matter:

Webspace is no print medium.
You cannot be sure how colors look like on the screen of the user. Making screenshots of your screen to show others that you can read it on your screen is sensless, is it ?

Not everyone on the web has used a color calibration hardware for his monitor ...

But nevertheless, colors are freedom of choice of the webdesigner. If some user cannot read them: hit CTRL-A. It will mark all text on the webpage giving good contrast.

About Image savings: There might be good reasons to have a file size limit for screenshots ... maybe you save it as BLOBs
in your database or whatever. Maybe your thumbnailer is limited to that image size.
But I don't agree on restricting image for mat to GIF. 8bit colorspace is the ugliest thing you can have on webspace. PNG is a good choice, I allways use it whenever possible - even for transparency.
I was worried about SQL injection
Use mysql_real_escape_string() to get rid of SQL injections:

mysql_query(\"DO something ON database WITH Key='\" . mysql_real_escape_string($badstring) . \"' WHENEVER possible\");

^^