Primary Weapon Facelift:

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Primary Weapon Facelift:

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Since Ferno doesn't want me to use his interpretation of the Fusion cannon, I made my own interpretation from scratch:

This is the low poly model intended for in-game use.

Right now it is too high poly but I'm sure I can sacrifice a few things. I designed it on the idea of cooling systems. The upper barrel, I will texture to look like the heatsink like the one on the bottom-base of the weapon.
Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

Why does those weapons need a handle ?
I think plasma, napalm have them too...
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Not sure what you mean by a handle.

If you mean the front part, I'm not sure why so many seem to be asking about it when it was on the original cannon. I intended it as simply a support for the barrel and heatsink. If you mean the bottom, that is just a heatsink and a bunch of cables (maybe even heat pipe if you will). The top? Those are supposed to be some kind of connectors based on the original design.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Are those exhaust pipes on the side?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yup. It was just an interesting idea I had. I've made so many different exhausts for ships/guns/robots in my time that I wanted to try something else. It also has a different exhaust system in the back. Wanted to do something different for the sides that would add some decent bulk to the cannon. There are only oh-so-many ways to \"make it your own\". My attempt here is something designed to get rid of heat. :) I also plan to add a purple glow to the exhaust on the back. One thing I don't like is that the barrel appears too long to me.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Munk wrote:Why does those weapons need a handle ?
I think plasma, napalm have them too...
I never understood this either. In D3 they appear to have a handle. But in some of the models I've seen here produced by the community, they have what seems to be "connectors" or things that would in theory connect the item to the ship in some way.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Original D2 Fusion had connectors. If that is a handle... that would be VERY uncomfortable. :)
Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

Maybe there's a better word for \"handle\" in english: I mean those things on all the weapons of the size of human hands -- just to be able to hold those weapons with both hands and pointing to someone.

I mean those handles look rather fragile. For a ship weapon I would rather think of a highly technical uniform connector which holds the weapon firmly in place and is able to disconnect it quite fast for changing.

But I suppose they have to look like human weapons, otherwise noone would notice that they are weapons ... just look at the scope on top of the super laser (in contrast to simple laser).

But hey, it's a game ^^
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I have yet to see someone make an accurate high-poly high-res version of an actual fusion. The whoop-ass cannery was close but not accurate.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Heh, half of you complain that I don't make my own cannon, so I do. But when I make an original cannon, you all complain that I didn't make a 100% accurate duplication of the original cannon.

I think you have to change it a little bit though in order for it to be legal I would imagine. I could do it in about 30-45 mins though.

Well.... it wouldn't be high-res since this work is to replace the weapons inside the actual game. Not for pretty renders. If I were to work on a pretty render, I would create something totally unique.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to flame at all. My comment was completely irrelevant to this post. Your model is looking 100% AOK! Keep going! :)

I just was saying that with all the people making models of the fusion, that an accurate recreation hasn't been made yet - or at least one that I have seen. That's all.

Keep going on your own version. Defiantly looks very good! :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Nah, I didn't take it as an insult at all. :) It didn't take all that long to create. Took me a while to think it up, but it's no big deal to me. I actually like constructive criticism as long as it is respectful.

I was just explaining to you why I took the route that I did. :) This is just an alpha or beta if you will, of the cannon, so if people would rather I made it look accurate to the original, I would be happy to do that.

I just thought it was funny. ;) I know I can't please everyone, but everyone else tends to think that is an artists job. I just try to make myself happy and as many as I can along the way.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Looks great, man! Just wondering, what did you make it with?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Looks like Blender.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

DCrazy wrote:Looks like Blender.
Maya actually.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Actually DCrazy is right; I use both programs regularly, and unless Maya 8 was drastically changed from 7 to look exactly the same, that's Blender.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

:D

You know you might be a geek when you can identify programs based on contextless screenshots of portions of their UI. :P
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yep, it's Blender. Not a bad program. I still want to get Max and Maya one day but for now, I'm pretty content with Maya since I only want to mod three games anyway. Descent, Oblivion, and UT2004.

UT2004 has Maya PLE, Descent and Oblivion I can use Blender for. :) But yeah, I'm that nerdy too. I can now recognize most modeling programs by pictures of their UI too. :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

A little Easter Egg.... anybody remember these?

:twisted:
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Prox bomb / smart mine spikes were never that long, by the way.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Not necessarily running by just the original design.

I discovered that I do need to add more spikes though.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Are the spikes modeled at different sizes or is that a perspective thing by the program?

The spikes should be the same size all the way around.

I like the hexagon pattern.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

The spikes actually revolve around a central point. I'll have to adjust this later. The UV map also isn't the greatest due to the way Blender handles spheres in UV mapping. Something I'm sure I will eventually be able to work around. :)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

That look freak'n awesome Messenjah!

Good work bro. :)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Oooooo Really pretty! That's a really cool Prox. bomb!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I'd like to have these models for D2X-XL ... :roll:

Same goes for your hires robot models.

Shame you never bothered replying to my requests.