Cinematics/Cutscenes in a multiplayer mod

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Cinematics/Cutscenes in a multiplayer mod

Post by Foil »

I'm still working (slowly) on a new multiplayer gametype (.d3m) I'm building. I have most of the pieces in place, much borrowed from the Entropy code, and it compiles and runs fine.

One of the last things I want to do is implement a 2-3 second scene for all players at a certain point in the game. Dallasfuncs.cpp has functions like \"CinematicPlayerDisabled\", but I'm not sure if/how they would work in multiplayer.

Has anyone attempted this before?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Could you maybe imnplement the functions used in a level script? because we all know there are cinematics during levels.... Or is that what you're referring to..?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

d3jake wrote:Could you maybe imnplement the functions used in a level script? because we all know there are cinematics during levels.... Or is that what you're referring to..?
Right, I'm referring to using the same functions (from the DALLAS source) that singleplayer level cinematics use. I just don't know how they will act in multiplayer, so I'm wondering if someone has done it before.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I don't think they work in multiplayer. At least in cooperative gameplay, the in-level cinematics don't run. If they don't work in co-op, I can't imagine them working in other modes.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Kyouryuu wrote:I don't think they work in multiplayer. At least in cooperative gameplay, the in-level cinematics don't run. If they don't work in co-op, I can't imagine them working in other modes.
Hmm, you're probably right. All the same, does anyone know if it's been attempted? I'd just like to know, before I try it myself.