Texture Baking for D3.

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Texture Baking for D3.

Post by []V[]essenjah »

From what I understand, it is commonplace these days to make a high-resolution mesh, lay out the UV coordinates and paint onto the High Resolution UV textures as apposed to the low resolution textures. What exactly is the advantage of doing this?

D3 only allows for 128X128 textures, and I prefer to just split up the model, lay out the UV's for each peice carefully and paint a bunch of 128X128 textures. I find that if I paint them on the mesh I have created directly, instead of making a high resolution mesh, painting on a high resolution texture, and scaling it down, if instead, you create a low poly mesh split it up as I mentioned above, and paint onto each 128X128 texture carefully, you get a bit more detail out of it. But that might just be me too.

Any thoughts?
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

limited number of (custom) textures.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

:? Not sure what you mean.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I think what he's saying is that you might be limited by the number of textures you can have. I don't recall completely, but I think Descent 3 has a hard limit on the total number of textures per level. Obviously, if you require several 128x128 textures for one character, you are increasing the texture count.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

that is correct.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Actually, I'm hoping to run this thing off it's own HOG file. Regardless, I'll have to use several 128X128 textures. Even the regular GL uses a rather high number of textures.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Well, you could replace textures instead. I did that for a level I was working on that required more than the remaining texture count.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Oh, you just mean renaming the textures to match the original textures? That's a precaution I've been taking anyway, just to make it work better in-game in the first place. This mod is intended mostly as a visual replacer. But I plan to balance some of the ship and weapons in the final build using a HOG file. But for the demo release, I'll probably go this route.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

All that texture limit problems occurs only on 1.4 and below (if i'm not wrong). Use D3 v1.5 instead.

I'm (slowly :P ) making a little D3 campaign with a LOT of custom new 128x128 textures, and it doesn't works on version 1.4, but it works perfectly on 1.5.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Except v1.5 isn't really well-supported or anything.