Anyone want to use a Class 2 Drone?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Anyone want to use a Class 2 Drone?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Probably a moot point but I thought I might post this for kicks and giggles. I was looking through some old files last night to locate some old model concepts from years back that I made for Descent 3.

Anyway, I ran into this little model I was developing for an MSDS based project.

Anyway, if anyone is working on any SP missions, I'd be happy to animate and possibly retexture the little guy for use. I have all the sound files too.

Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Whoa!
That's beautiful!
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I imagine there's quite a bit of MSDS content out there. I kinda miss having a development team. Good times. I sent the last of our personell over to IC, not really sure who all made that transition, communication was pretty sketchy at best there at the end... *sigh*
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yeah, there actually is actually quite a few models that I managed to dig up. Not only mine but a few models from other members that I was helping out. Cool stuff. We had a really good team. Sad to see that it disbanded. I still talk to Stryker and Darkside Heartless on occasion but they have sworn off working with D3 anymore.

I know I vanished off the scale for a while, mostly because I involved myself with a game company for a bit and then I kind of ended up in a depressed state for quite a while and stopped modeling all together. That was probably the best mod development team I've ever worked with and I had the time to work on large projects back then.

I only regret that I didn't have the skill set back then that I have now. Too bad we can't pull another team together. :By the way Capm, I checked the forum but took off when I noticed that the old MSDS forums were gone. :\\ I can understand the reason for taking them down though. Good times certainly! *toasts with soda can* :)
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

They are still there but they are hidden, since they arent being used. The old ones are online though, if you want to poke around them catch up with me sometime and I'll point you to them.

I would like to get a dev team together again, but its not as easy as it used to be. Programmers are really hard to come by, and without them you've got nothing.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

From the projects I've been involved in, as hard as programmers may be to get, good artists are even harder... there are very few that are professional-quality these days, at least compared to how many there need to be for projects in modern games...
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I've never had trouble finding artists (probably because I can hold my own and I usually can train a couple up as long as they are willing to actually open up the editor in the first place.) Programmers have been the hardest thing for me to find in the past. Hopefully I can find one for my current project.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Messenjah,

Cool! Do you have these models in OOF format? If so, could I have and use them in D2X-XL?

And what do you need a programmer for? (I am one, cough ...)

Diedel
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

That'll really depend on the type of project. For Descent, pretty much anyone can bang a reasonable looking robot together. As soon as you need people with more technical skills for making texture maps and biological models, the pool will drop considerably.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by []V[]essenjah »

DarkHorse wrote:That'll really depend on the type of project. For Descent, pretty much anyone can bang a reasonable looking robot together. As soon as you need people with more technical skills for making texture maps and biological models, the pool will drop considerably.
That all depends. Oblivion has a very good texturing/modeling community. Though it is much larger. It's main problem is that no one can agree on a set of standards like the Morrowind Community did for character meshes.

Texture maps and textures don't change THAT much. They do change, but they aren't THAT different. You just need to learn a few new techniques. I actually find it easier to create high resolution textures than it is to develop a decent looking low-resolution texture for a mesh. Also, in newer games, no baking needed. :) However, most new games, require that you have someone familiar with animation and rigging and that, is where things become more interesting. And with tools now, even that isn't too bad anymore from what I understand (I don't have much experience with that though).

The texture on this mesh is very simple. This was back 4-5 years ago when I didn't know anything about texturing. I just happened to dig it up when I was looking through some of my old backup disks.

Hey Deidel, I'll write up a response for you a little later when I have time. I'm kind of thinking about how exactly to explain my project to you. :)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Oblivion does have a huge community, so I'd expect a lot of talent within it. The number of MODs for it is quite amazing.

Not having to bake detail anymore does make things a little easier, though in the case of Oblivion it would probably look better if they had. Character faces are more flexible than they have ever been, but they're surprisingly limited - you begin to get the idea by how many of the NPCs are pure ugly. I have a few niggles about how the physics engine works as well, but that's got nothing to do with artwork.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Art community is slowly but surely improving Oblivion though. However, I stopped playing it because of it's terrible balance and leveling system. You can be an awsome Achilles-like hero and get slaughtered by a common thief. And every single fight has to be of epic proportions. I also agree that the physics are terrible. Anyway, need to get back on-topic.

I agree that the faces are ugly but the community is changing that constantly so that it is starting to look a lot better.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

M,

you may want to take a look at this article and the contained link, if you would like to play Oblivion as \"it was meant to be played\".