Missiles as physical objects?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Missiles as physical objects?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I had an interesting idea. Would it be possible to make the missiles a physical object that you could shoot down? How much would this impact the game over the network?
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

If you're referring to D3 - I've done this before, to create a special homing missile
that shoots a rapid laser at its target.

Join a co-op game sometime. You'll immediately notice how extremely skippy the
robots are. You can guess it now... the same thing would happen with \"objectified\"
missiles, only it will be even worse because the missiles are so fast.

Monsterball also has this problem btw.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I suspected that would happen. Just wondered. It was an interesting idea. I know that in Quake 4 and Serious Sam, you can shoot the missiles down.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I bet the missiles *are* objects in D3. They are in D1 and D2, and their in-game representations are polygonal 3D objects. The game can compute collisions of gun fire (or other missiles) with them and make them go boom.

I actually have built that into D2X-XL as an option. You can shoot down missiles there (and the bots will shoot down yours if they happen to get into their gun fire's trajectory).
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Interesting. Wish we had D3's source code though. I wonder if there is a way we could make it do that. Might be a flag somewhere. I always thought it would make the game a lot more fun if you could shoot down the missiles before the hit you. Sometimes, I find myself being attacked by three guys, all firing homers, smarts, and mega's at me with whatever else they have up their sleeve. Would be nice to get rid of some of those with vuass. :)
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Not entirely impossible I guess, but definitely better suited to small games and not larger ones. Weapons can affect each other with physics (shockwaves can affect other missiles, for example), so the ability to affect the object is already in the game. Turning a switch that says \"this has so many hitpoints\" though would be interesting to say the least.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by The Lion »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Sometimes, I find myself being attacked by three guys, all firing homers, smarts, and mega's at me with whatever else they have up their sleeve.
Just sometimes? You're lucky.

Being able to shoot down missiles sounds like a really nice idea now.

Hmmm... I don't think any weapon can actually hit another, but if it's possible
for a mod to keep track of weapon locations and detonate them at will, then it
will also be possible to make a mod in which players can shoot down missiles.
Except with vauss and MD I guess. Big deal. :)