A Scripting question

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

A Scripting question

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

How Do I make a power up(with a name for scipting) appear by scripting from a robot like a key or something?

Should I ask Script Master Kyouryuu
or
Ask Someone like True Light Guild(the creator of the wind mine series)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Centroid Military Base does this with the Blue Key and one of the InspectorGadget robots.

What you basically do is, somewhere in the level, place a key object and give it a name. Put it somewhere where the player wouldn't naturally be able to see it, like behind the door it unlocks. ;) Then, place the robot you want the object to "spawn" from somewhere in the level. Make sure you give the robot a name (to do so in both cases, simply bring up the Object toolbar and click on the default name of the object to enter a new one). Once you have that, the DALLAS script goes something like this:

- When object -> robotname is destroyed
# Copy the position of object -> robotname to the Clipboard.
# Move the object -> keyname to the Clipboard position
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Key powerup

Post by TrueLightGuild »

What I do is to Ghost the key at any location of the mine. You do this in level start
Ghost object (key name)

Then when the robot is destroyed, do what solrazor said to store the destroyed robot on the clipboard and then move the (key name) to the position in the clipboard. As I move the object to the position, I put in the script to unghost that object (key name). That way the key is never gonna show up until the bot is destroyed.

I do this in most of my levels. I have a new level completed called Defcon1, and I do this two or three times during the level.
Defcon1 is posted at www.Levels4you.com in the d3 section. It is the final chapter of the Windmine Series.
Hasn't been posted at gameedit yet.

It works many ways.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Wow, you lucky guy - you got both :P