Creating a D3 level using Blender 3D?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Creating a D3 level using Blender 3D?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

So, I'm interested in creating a level or two but I plan on using Blender 3D to create the levels. Anyone know how possible this is?
fulano
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by fulano »

I can see that happening by creating the individual rooms then importing them into D3Edit. I'm not aware of a way to convert something directly into D3L files.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Well, if you can save the brush to an older MAX file ext, then you might be able to use the MAX .ORF converter. It works with Max 2.5 and 3. I think that's your best shot, unless someone is willing to make another, more modern converter.

So, create each room. Save it as a max file. Convert it with the old ORF converter. Join rooms in the D3 editor.

2ORF v0.9
2ORF is a utility for converting various 3d-data files to the ORF (Outrage Room Format) used by the Descent3 Level Editor.
3DsGen
3dsgen converts OOF files to 3DS format while preserving all textures, texture mapping, hierarchy, special points, and keyframe data. Basically, everything that is stored in an OOF is converted. Also includes MAXOOFUtility.
These are all from PlanetDescent. If anyone is aware of newer versions, please post!
floppyfreak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by floppyfreak »

you can try the x2orf tool, i have written it for exactly this purpose. Not a very comfortable method, though, it safes only mesh data. I stopped the development of that tool and write a game instead, more simple then dealing with old formats :lol:
design levels for the experiment instead 8). You don't have all the restrictions that d3 sets you.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

What experiment exactly?

Also, I have a converter that Descentrace made a while back. Had a few issues but works fine as long as everything has a texture on it and all normals are flipped correctly. Every once in a while something odd pops out of it however. The MS3D to orf converter. Anyway, I was more concerned about how to connect it all up once it is in ORF format. D3 Edit is such a clunky program that I'd rather not deal with it if I don't have too lol. Can't perform a UV unwrap with it either.

So, I need to ask, what in D3 exactly defines a room? For instance, in Fallout 3, rooms are areas in a level, connected by a series of portals. Portals are not doors, they just tell player character what they can see within that room, when looking from a different room so you don't need a door to cover up the other room.

From what I understand, rooms in D3 can have up to 3000 polys total. So, I'm wondering if each room would need to be enclosed somehow or just defined by the level as a room?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Mess, just a single room. I've hit that level twice in one level and they were HUGE. All you need to do is separate an area with a portal. So, if you have a large room that has say 8K polys (o_0) you could in theory cut it into 3 pieces and attach them together. There would be 2 portals but visually, you wouldn't see it. I'm not sure if BOA would like it, but that's what I would try.

Oh, a \"room\" is any enclosed, non-outside (definer found in room properties) area. You could have your level as ONE room if no portals are used... I wouldn't recommend this...

A portal (of course) is where 2 rooms are connected. Sound and lighting use these for differentiating distance and such.
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

Yes you can use 3D Object Converter it support orf format

http://www.planetdescent.com/asp/forum_ ... picid=7409
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I don't think you can make a D3 level without using D3Edit for at least some of it. Geometry is one thing, but connecting rooms into levels requires something with specific knowledge of the D3L format... which isn't going to happen in general-purpose tools.

Really, using D3Edit for purposes like that shouldn't be that difficult anyway. There's dropping the rooms in and connecting them, running the lighting, adding objects, mission-wide settings, maybe scripting and a few other odds and ends depending what kind of level it is...
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

you can grab the d3edit source code and write your own export plugin/function for blender. just port the load- and save-procedures. if there is a way to define regions (rooms), special faces (portals) and place objects in blender, you can even make the whole level in it.
the only thing you'll need d3edit for is the lighting, because i suppose it would be too complicated to get that to work with blender, in comparison to how many levels are created these days.
fulano
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by fulano »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:D3 Edit is such a clunky program that I'd rather not deal with it if I don't have too lol. Can't perform a UV unwrap with it either.
The latest versions really aren't that bad, sure it's different from things like Blender but each program has it's quirks. For just putting rooms together I'm sure you won't have a problem. Just save often, like everybody had to do back in Win9x.

I can see the advantage of using blender to create the rooms first, if you can get the converter to work with you I'd be interested in hearing how you did it.
[]V[]essenjah wrote:So, I need to ask, what in D3 exactly defines a room? So, I'm wondering if each room would need to be enclosed somehow or just defined by the level as a room?
Each room is defined by the level format. It should be enclosed technically or you will get weird clipping problems. You can set any or every face in a room to be a portal so it doesn't appear to be a separate room.

I've seen talk of a new D3 level editor called D4L over at the ODF but I don't know if they actually have something functioning or not. Maybe that could help you. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

vitosky wrote:Yes you can use 3D Object Converter it support orf format

http://www.planetdescent.com/asp/forum_ ... picid=7409
Download it HERE

man, that's a LOT of extentions! o.0

Oh, it seems to be free.
fulano
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by fulano »

Duper wrote:Oh, it seems to be free.
Sadly it's not. They give you a 30 day limited trial then you have to pay $50 to get the full version, as explained here:

http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

doh, thanks. I'm at work on lunch and didn't have time to check it out. :(
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

Send me a p.m. to download 3d Object Converter full version