No sound effects D3 and Win7-64

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

No sound effects D3 and Win7-64

Post by flip »

I know there's a thread around here somewhere concerning the 1.5 patch for D3, but I couldn't find it. That's probably the best place for this. I can hear music but no sound effects. I'm pretty sure at this point DX11 breaks D3's sound. If I run in XPMode I get sound in the setup menu so DX9 in a VM is working. I can't get past the setup screen because there is no video acceleration. Sure hope the 1.5 patch addresses this.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Descent3 uses directsound and that should be emulated by the OS, make sure all the playback devices are selected correctly in control panel and in d3 setup (been a while since I've used D3 setup, can't remember if it has options to pick the primary audio device).

I guess one of these days I should unpack D3 and fire it up on my W7 x64 box so I can help people sort out these issues.

Otherwise there is another workaround that I have used for other games that don't cooperate in Windows 7 x64: Sun VirtualBox. I've used a virtual machine running Windows XP in Sun VirtualBox with its experimental 3D support and had great success getting previously broken games to work again with Direct 3D acceleration (no OpenGL though).
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Hah after messing around in the control panel again, I found that if I set a NoSound windows theme and then start D3 I get no effects. If I enable sounds again, start D3, I have sound. Disable Windows sounds again in control panel and it works. Weird but I'm glad it's working now. Thanks for the help Krom.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I had some weird goings ons with D3 as well. ALchemy fixed it. W7 and Dx11 breaks a number of legacy stuff.