Custom sounds in D2 levels?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Terminal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Custom sounds in D2 levels?

Post by Terminal »

I have yet to see a Descent 2 mission or campaign with custom sounds thrown in, but is it possible? I'd like to know as I would be interested in having custom robots with custom sounds if I were to make a D2 level/campaign.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I don't think there's any way to do that without replacing stuff from the .s11/.s22 files. Whether you can do that by placing similarly-named audio files in the descent2 directory I don't know. Sometimes that does work (e.g. descent.txb/.tex in that folder can be used to modify things like menu strings).

I know Pumo has also done this sort of thing (in Pumo Mines) using the \"mods\" feature of D2X-XL, though. Doesn't work for legacy D2 but it might count. :)
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

I used a Descent program off PlanetDescent for audio re-arraging (cannot remember quite what it was called; i'll check) that let you insert custom sounds. In order to do it, you had to rename existing sounds, so I assume it would delete the old ones. I assume this change would activate only for said level, but it might change your entire game. If this is the case, I can see why editors steer clear of the feature.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!