A monitor on a wall won't shatter

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

A monitor on a wall won't shatter

Post by Xfing »

I have this minor problem designing a level. I have no idea what the problem is, is there something wrong with the cube or whatever? It's a D2 level and any kind of monitor I put on it won't shatter, it just ignores fire and stays active. The funny thing is there are two lights on adjacent walls and they go out just fine. What could cause this?
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: A monitor on a wall won't shatter

Post by Alter-Fox »

If it's one of the monitor textures that only appears in the Parallax missions after the reactor is destroyed, those don't shatter if you just put them on a wall -- they will shatter after you destroy the reactor if you used a screen that changes its texture to that.

In other cases... it is a legitimate bug -- I've had it happen to me a few times -- and I have no idea what causes it. The best I can suggest is to remove the monitor from that wall and put it on another one ;). Otherwise, I think if you make it trigger something when its destroyed it won't cause the bug... but the only reason I think that is because I've never seen it happen on a trigger, which may be for an entirely different reason -- on the other paw it's never happened in any of my levels where it was a trigger, but I never tested for this specifically.
So basically try it and then tell me if it works or not :P.

Or just ask someone like Sirius or Darkhorse or Darkflamewolf or anyone who's been a designfreak for much longer than we have, who have so much more experience and probably know some way to get around it.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Well, to be honest I think that your first point has something to it... all the monitors I've tried were red, so it was probably their post-reactor meltdown look and as you said, it's not meant to go out if placed beforehand. I'll experiment with other screens first.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yep, that was exactly it. Thanks for the info! Now I can proceed with the level design smoothly. I'm about 75% done with the layout (all of this takes long perhaps because I do the texturing right away), but the more time I spend on this level, the more I like it >__<