Error: Unable to open temporary file and RL2 disappeared

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
TSXMike
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Error: Unable to open temporary file and RL2 disappeared

Post by TSXMike » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:57 am

Hi everyone,

I opened a level today and edited. Then when I went to save it, it said "unable to open temporary file dle_temp.rdl.

The strange part - the next time I tried to open that level, the RL2 file was missing in the HOG manager screen. So it totally deleted the level. Luckily I have a back up.

I was using v1.12.28

Can I fix it? Because this means I cannot further edit that level, and its actually a really good one I need to keep.

Thanks

EDIT: when I say "Can I fix it," I don't mean recovering the deleted RL2. I mean to prevent that error next time I edit & save.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Error: Unable to open temporary file and RL2 disappeared

Post by LightWolf » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:38 pm

Something similar happened to me once. Have never been able to replicate the issue.
Backups are the only things I can recommend. If you do get the error again, use "save as" - that seems to be a foolproof recovery method in virtually all cases (including a semicorrupt level - true story).

Did you click "delete" in the HOG editor screen somewhere? HOG editor actions cannot be undone. I have made that mistake before and deleted one of my earliest levels that way. Thankfully it was one of trillions of crappy standard-cubes-only levels cluttering my hard drive rather than an actual attempt at a level.

On a side note, what is the level?
Your friendly neighborhood diamond-loving light wolf.
(Who wouldn't love diamonds? They're so strong! Ever wonder why Diamond Claws did so much damage?)
Substance: 5/30 (6/35) Click here!
New Age Mod: Now hiring! Click here!
TSXMike
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: Error: Unable to open temporary file and RL2 disappeared

Post by TSXMike » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi LightWolf,

Good idea to save as. I didn't think of that right away. To answer your questions, I did not accidentally delete in the hog manager. I replaced the damaged hog file with a back up and tried again, and the problem was replicated. It seems to be a problem with DLE saving that specific level.

The level is actually my final level, it is complex, and it was a ton of work. I like the design. I have vents running through connecting stuff in an octagonal design. You can see into the vent structure from different parts of the level. I did lots of mathematical computing to adjust things and straighten walls out, fit textures, etc. Looks good and is arduous.