Scripting a checkpoint

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Scripting a checkpoint

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

How do I script a checkpoint, you know, where you respawn after you die. What should I do?

Any solutions?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

For future reference, D3Edit topics go in Descent Development, not the Coders' Corner.

And there's no scripting required for waypoints. Just add one to the level (they're on the Object bar I believe, they used to be on the Sound bar a while ago). When the player runs over the waypoint, D3 will remember. When the player dies, he will respawn at the last waypoint he touched.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

thank you
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

there's gotta be more specific than that. Is the waypoint like a portal or an object that the player must get NEAR to activate?
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

DCrazy wrote:For future reference, D3Edit topics go in Descent Development, not the Coders' Corner.

And there's no scripting required for waypoints. Just add one to the level (they're on the Object bar I believe, they used to be on the Sound bar a while ago). When the player runs over the waypoint, D3 will remember. When the player dies, he will respawn at the last waypoint he touched.
Actually, they're on the sound bar. I Think
DarkFlameWolf wrote:there's gotta be more specific than that. Is the waypoint like a portal or an object that the player must get NEAR to activate?
Hmmmmm... Good Question.

I think Gameedit.com should include a description about waypoint.
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

you heard the man Skyalmian :wink:
Interceptor6
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Interceptor6 »

You only need to go in the room with the waypoint to activate it. It is an object, placed in the level. It is on the sound bar (for some unknown reason).
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Are you guys running the absolute latest version of D3Edit? I could have sworn that at some point OtherOne moved the Waypoint button to the Object bar.

OG3 used waypoints as well. If you died in the middle of a race, you respawned at the last waypoint you touched. Unfortunately, collisions with waypoints are never reported to the mod, so we had to use "special" room flags (S1, S2, etc.) -- we called them checkpoints -- to determine where players were, and waypoints to respawn them at certain locations. This limited the number of checkpoints in a level to 5 + the starting line (room S1).

[edit]You only need to go into the room with the waypoint in it? No wonder collisions with waypoints are never noted, because they never happen...[/edit]