Rookie Gam File Question

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Rookie Gam File Question

Post by pipsqueak10 »

I've scripted a wepeon to fire from an stationary object(I used a clutter object) when a player enters a portal. Where do I specifically put the weapon sound (in the gam file) to hear the sound as the weapon is fired? Or do I have to make the object a ship and assign the sound in the gunpoint sound section of the gam?
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Search through the table file for a sound entry, let's say a laser sound (Laser level 2). Make a copy of that string into your Mission Tablefile, then change the name and the file that it links to. It's really easy to alter the specifics, such as Import Adjust, Distance etc. You then need to go back to your generic object, and drop down "Weapon Sounds", then the correct Battery, and walla. The sound itself needs to be in WAV-22050khz 8-16bit Mono/Stereo and must be in the MN3 (you can also use the main Descent 3 directory to test the sound without having to repack each time). You don't need to change any of the flags if the sound is merely a weapon shot. For ambient sounds, such as Robot humming or generator noises, you need to have a looping start/end. This can be calculated with length*samplerate. E.G: 7.5*22050 = 165375 (loop end)
Interceptor6
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Interceptor6 »

An easy way is to simply 'play 2d sound from object' with the object being the clutterobject that fires the weapon with DALLAS when you have the weapon fired.

However, don't try to make the object a ship. Ships are only for playable vehicles. You'd have to make it a robot with a weapon battery to fire it. You can set the sound to fire under the weapon sounds area in the Robot gam page.

It would be a good idea to download Hogview32 from gameedit if you plan to do a lot of GAM experimenting. You'll want to extract Table.gam with that to make some modding easier.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Thanks guys, always can find an answer on this board now matter what the question is. BTW, I have all the D3 tools.