Stickyness .... help!

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Stickyness .... help!

Post by Duper »

you know the problem ..

Door frames and signs being sticky. Is there a fix for this? or should they just be avoided?

The signs I could fabricate and use their face textures
the doors are another matter.

any ideas?
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

"Sticky"

Please explain.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Your ship sticks to them when collided with.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ok.. here's the thing. I figured it out so everyone listen up.

The problem with stick doors and sticky objects such as wall signs and the like is that they use portals. Remember that signs are objects separate from the level and need a way to interface with the environment. I presumed that this was done with a sort of portal surrounding the object. To solve this I:

Went to Object mode and selected the offending object in "Current Room" view.

Went to world view and clicked on ROOM menu on the tool bar and went ALL the way to the bottom and clicked "Merge object into Room". This make the object part of the mine and not a separate enitiy.

With doors, you're hanging up on the portal and not the actual door frame. I have yet to find a fix for this. You can not combine any rooms with doors.
Otherone
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Otherone »

Portals have nothing to do with it (objects do not have portals). The stickiness is caused by the object faces themselves. Doors have portals because they are a combination of an object (the door) and a room (the "frame").

Merging works because the faces that made up the object become normal room faces and thus are no longer affected by the object stickiness problem. Even if you could do this with the door object you wouldn't want to because it would no longer animate.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Woah... where the hell have you been hiding, OO?!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Otherone wrote:Doors have portals because they are a combination of an object (the door) and a room (the "frame").
Thanks, I've known this for wuite a while. Learned the hard way when I had to move a door once after placing it. :P
Otherone wrote: Merging works because the faces that made up the object become normal room faces and thus are no longer affected by the object stickiness problem. Even if you could do this with the door object you wouldn't want to because it would no longer animate.
Yea, kinda figured this too. So.. no way to fix it huh?

btw.. WB! :mrgreen:
Otherone
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Otherone »

There may be some doors who's frames will keep you away from the object so you don't get stuck on it (not sure, I haven't experimented with them enough). If not you would have to build a custom door. The idea would be to make the open door recessed far enough into the frame that you don't come into contact with it when you slide along the walls.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

AAhhh.. Big DUH there. Thanks Otherone.

/me bows to the master. ;)

The ironic part of this is that I built a level with nothing but doors ....all of them ... with the express purpose of observing how they behave. ...and I didn't notice this. *sigh* .. ah well. :)