Cinematics

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Cinematics

Post by Jon the Great »

I'm aware that this is done using DALLAS and that the camera must follow a path.

The Question:
How do I create a path? With alot of experimenting I managed to insert a bnode but I couldn't get it to connect to a path much less find a place to name a path so DALLAS can see it.

Help would be really appreciated. :)
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Firstly, make sure your in Path Mode...

Click on P to bring up the Path Panel, and from that click on the "Game Paths" radio button.

Now click on the viewport you wish to begin in, and pick the place you want to place the first node. To lay down the first node, press CTRL+SHIFT+Insert.

It will then prompt you for a name, give it one, then hit okay. Now you can drop further nodes as if you were dropping verts, just by pressing insert... and they'll be connected too :)
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Thank you!! :D
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure that out. I already asked the people at sectorgame.com the same question, kinda, and got good information but not *how* to create the paths. Thank you much.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

d3jake wrote:I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure that out. I already asked the people at sectorgame.com the same question, kinda, and got good information but not *how* to create the paths. Thank you much.
I _am_ on sectorgame :P
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

So I've seen...

NYSINYD. Confused? Lemme spell it out for you: Now You See It, Now You Don't. It's a simple concept I want to use for my D3 level. What I'm trrying to do is, during a cinematic have a robot that disapears and then reapears. I tried to use a TIMER but it wouldn't come out right.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I suppose you could hide/show two robots...
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I was thinking about useing the "Hide [object]" function in DALLAS. But since there is no "unHide [object]"... I'll probably use Kyouryuu's (nice name) idea.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I know there's an "unhide" function because I used it to unhide robots that I wanted to have appear later in a level, but not be present initially. Maybe it goes by "show" or "unhide" or "uncloak"? It's probably in the same menu as "hide [object]"

I'm not sure if there's a more elaborate function for having a robot that fades in and out (as if using a cloaking device). But, I know in some levels the player ship starts off cloaked. And, the battle against the Captain in Mercenary level 3 was a predominantly DALLAS-scripted affair (I think?) where he teleported from one place to another.