robot DLLs

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Killanthype
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

robot DLLs

Post by Killanthype »

Anyone know how to make custom dlls for robots? Like the aigame.dll that drives all the robots in D3 (think of the fancy actions that juggs, theifs, scratch, manta rays, etc do) I tried getting the source from the "Ai overview.txt" for the flak to run, but I couldn't get it to work in game. I think it's got something to do with me running it through d3e's "compile script" thing.

A novice programmer--clueless compiler. Any ideas?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

most robot behavior can be scripted with the D3 scripting programs. The dlls would probabaly handle specific AI routines. Not sure it's ok to be messing with those as the D3 source has never been released.
Killanthype
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Killanthype »

I don't want to run it through the level's script. I have a very important reason for that. (And I'm not going to tell you or it'll ruin the surprize!)

And you should be able to add custom robot dll's just as easy as custom level dlls.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

There should be an example in the D3SDK of the Stingray AI.
Killanthype
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Killanthype »

There is. Along with the Flak (MD tank). I copied and pasted that right in. It compiles after a few tweaks, but then it won't actually work. I've compiled it like I would a level script, and then stick it in d3. (Rename it to aigame.dll and put it in d3 dir--for the testing at least.)
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Bummer. Looks like no one can help.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

You can script many of the robot behaviors through the .gam files. Check those out; you'll need to change features anyway probably in order to get the AI working the way you want.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

He has already done that. That isn't enough.
Killanthype
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Killanthype »

Those kinds of things don't really script it anyway. When I say scripting, I mean some of the fancier stuff like cloaking, spawning and attaching sub-robots to itself... Those kinds of things. And no, I don't want it done through the level's scripting, I want it done by the robot itself. So all I have to do is drop that sucker in a d3l and it does the rest. Any d3l, anywhere.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It's a noble goal, but I don't think it has ever been accomplished. The robot tools produced for Descent 3 were pretty much capable of applying existing behaviors to robots or making extremely simple behaviors, but nothing on the level of the Hellion or other unique robots. As single player mapping never took off for Descent 3, neither did the robot making tools.