Terrain question

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Terrain question

Post by Slowguy »

How do I fix this?

That line is bugging me. :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

is it a line due to texture or a line due to lighting?

If the latter.. try redoing the occlusions outside and recount and undo lighting outside and redo it.

Try supre detail outside. If this happened during a lighting with Super detail, try not using it.

You might also want to try the non-Atan editor.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Yeah that looks like a lighting bug. The texture itself looks aligned across that boundary, but apparently the lighting routine clipped itself at the plane between those cells.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

you're right. Checkout the shadow cast by the tunnel on the ground. It's split.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

Well, I tried relighting with both Atan's version and the older beta 8 version... no luck. I tried recalculating terrain occlusion, and running with and without super detail... but nothing has worked. I can kind of hide this line if I use a darker texture for the terrain, but I like the snow! :(
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

How many light sources do you have? Try moving "them".

see if that helps.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Try using a different lightmap spacing. Sometimes that helps when you get weird anomalies like this.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

Thanks for the suggestions, I still haven't fixed the problem, I only have 1 light source on the terrain, I'm going to try adding another to see if it helps. I tried moving the one I had, but it had no effect, and also I tried different lightmap spacings, it didn't really do anything... so I'm just going to keep playing around with it till I figure it out.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

if and when you add another lightsource and run your lights, delete the source after words if you really don't want multiple suns.

One way around multiple suns is make one of the other satellite textures to light emitting. You can also regulate how much light you're getting that way and not loose all your shadows.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

if and when you add another lightsource and run your lights, delete the source after words if you really don't want multiple suns.
Thanks, nice tip. :) I tried lighting with multiple light sources though, and it didn't really help too much... so I think I'll just stick with one light source.

I've noticed that this weird line only appears when I run the game in Direct3D. In OpenGL the line isn't there. Soo... I don't know what I'm going to do. I've managed to get rid of 75% of the problem, so I think I'll just leave it, It's not really that big a deal. :(
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ooh.. it's only in D3D? might be a glitch with Dx9. I don't think that many folks that are really into play use D3D. I use it only when I'm using bumpmapping. Otherwise, it's still too slow for anarchy.