Compound Objects

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Compound Objects

Post by d3jake »

Though I'm not here often (damn school...) I haven't gotten a chance to ask about compound objects, like the Jugg or dragon thingie. I'm trying to create a light that is a half of a cylnder that is kinda framed and I was wonder if I could make that into two objects so I can have the light portion blow leaving the "holder" behind. Or should I mess with it as one object?
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

I would definitely do that with two objects. I've never heard of someone making half of an object explode. However, I can't help much further than that since I have 0 experience with compound objects.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

You use attach points and then Dallas scripting to put them together.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Yeah, as far as I know, you can construct them as individual objects with individual behaviors, but then use DALLAS scripting to "dock" them together at defined mount points.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Isn't it also possible to script an object to be replaced by another after it gets destroyed?
Interceptor6
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Interceptor6 »

Well, an easier way to do this would be to simply build the base object as part of the room structure (since it will not be destroyed anyway) and simply place the breakable light object on top of it. Unless you want to have both objects exploding individually (or are making a turret), i'd highly reccomend using this method. It will save you a quite a bit of trouble to achieve the same effect. :P
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Thanks, y'all. I orginally thought about making it just part of the level but then I realized that if I wanted just the light to go out(stop producing light) it would either half to be two "docked" objects or one part of the level and the other object.

Next I wanted to know if it would be possoble to control where the thing produces light. So since it's kinda half a barrel with a "holder" around it would there be a way to make sure that light doesn't poor over the "holder"
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Darkside Heartless wrote:Isn't it also possible to script an object to be replaced by another after it gets destroyed?
Yes.

First, somewhere else in the level, you need to have the object you want to replace it with.

In DALLAS, what you'd do is on the death of that object, copy the object's location to the clipboard. Then, move the replacement object to the position in the clipboard.
d3jake wrote:I wanted to know if it would be possoble to control where the thing produces light.
Rotating lights and pulsing lights are a very odd thing in Descent 3, right now to how they get turned on and off (like the emergency lights in level 1). The only thing I can suggest is to deconstruct how those light models work.