Joining internal and external rooms

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Joining internal and external rooms

Post by Slowguy »

What is the proper way to join an internal room to an external room? The way I've always done it is to just attach all rooms and then later mark the rooms that are external with the external flag under the room properties menu. I've heard though, that this is not the way to do it, since it causes problems. The way to join the rooms that was suggested to me was to use the "Link Room to New External Room" function. I don't know too much about the function, (supposedly this function is supposed to create a special portal to join the internal and external rooms). I haven't tried anything yet, but I was just wondering if someone knew about this.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

That function is used when you have an internal room that you want to be directly exposed to the outside. Basically, what it will do is turn each face of the room that's textured with that Outrage Rainbow Texture into a portal that links to the terrain. You should be able to figure out how to use it from there.

It's also noteworthy that I have NEVER used this feature in any level I've released with terrain. It's good for if the player will be permanently trapped inside, so you can let the player see the skysphere, but if the player can exit the mine and access the terrain around where you've used this feature, unless you've created a complete ring of these portals around the room you're doing (a rather messy way of doing things, I might add) the room might not be visible from certain angles.

I might be off on some of this; that's just my experience from having toyed around with such features fairly extensively.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

Thanks, DwnUndr explained it to me over at PlanetDescent. http://www.planetdescent.com/asp/forum_ ... picid=6617

Your explanation helped too... ;) a little confusing :P, but I was able to see that using the function was not necessary.