Getting files from Maya to D3Edit

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Getting files from Maya to D3Edit

Post by Thenior »

I have finnally succesfully converted Maya to D3Edit, and D3 to Maya (I have to convert it MANY times).

But having said that, what is the max polies allowed for a given frame? I could make some pretty awsome levels with Maya...
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Depends on the type of level you're making and how fast you want it to perform. 500-1,000 polygons should be no problem for multiplayer levels. For singleplayer, you should be able to get into the 1,500-2,000 range.

Even though computing power has progressed, you can't exactly throw 200,000 polygons at Descent 3 and expect it to work. From personal experience, things start to get choppy at 7,000-8,000 polygons.

Don't forget that weapon models are definitely a part of this count - so don't blow it all on architecture and forget about weapons. ;)
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

How did you get levels from Maya to D3edit? Is this one room at a time, or an entire level at once? Is it possible to get objects from Maya to D3edit? Thank you.

Yes, this is an old topic, but it is still relevant.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

There are converters availible. Rooms and objects built this way tend to have extremly high poly count, it's easy to get carried away. In addition to whats said above, you also need to consider roooms that are visible from the room in question. So if you join 3 rooms that each have 2500 polys, Your vid will have to render 7500 polys. I'm working on a sp where I've done this and it runs fine until the action gets thick then it's just a little choppy. I use D3edit for building rooms and objects.