re: what are the minimum files needed to run a dedicaterd se

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

re: what are the minimum files needed to run a dedicaterd se

Post by CritterB »

I am about to put a temporary server back up for use by MS for practice. I used to run one all the time but I don't play anymore and it's been awhile. I will be loading this remotely so what are the minimum files I need to install or copy to run a dedicated server? And can I do it without the install disks so I don't have to goto work to do it. I still have Descent loaded here at home so I can copy files from there. And, while I'm at it, what are people using to manage Descent servers remotely these days? Thanks in advance. (err, make that dedicated server in the topic) Image
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

Not one person has any idea? TIA.
Starken
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Starken »

Haven't done either myself, sorry.

I know Sarge admin's his remotely (or at least used to). Maybe you can drop him a note if he doesn't reply here.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

You could always just investigate this yourself. Start out with the common install...then start up the server...then remove some files you think could be removed and start again...keep repeating this until the server crashes or doesn't start at all...you'll eventually find everything that is necessary just by elimination. Image
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The minimal install should do the trick.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Minimum install, and delete the single player level in missions..can't miss it, it's 200megs Image You can dump the voice .hogs, Demo folder, Movies folder. You need most everything else.
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I got it up and running again a few weeks ago. Capm gave me a good list and it worked. I'll find the email later and post it. And of course I could investigate it myself but I figured someone here had to have done that before. Image Plus since I don't play it myself anymore I just wanted a quick and easy server install.