Need Memory Cheap

Want to sell off that old video card for that new GeForce? Looking for a used Sidewinder? This is the place to buy, sell, trade and post about hot deals you find!
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Need Memory Cheap

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I'm looking for as much memory as I can get cheap, I have a Dell Dimention 8200(don't laugh, I got it from my dad for free :P) with 512 MB of Samsung, and I would like to eventually get 2 gig's if at all possible.

Thanks.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

will it support 2GB of RAM?
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Is this an RDRAM board? A quick search of eBay suggests it is, which limits your options and raises the price tag quite a bit.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

(1. yes it can support 2 gig's
(2. I think it is RDRAM, and I'm not going to order from Dell, because it's $500 for 1 gig.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Darkside Heartless wrote:(1. yes it can support 2 gig's
(2. I think it is RDRAM, and I'm not going to order from Dell, because it's $500 for 1 gig.
You might want to hit up crucial.com and see exactly what type of memory, and how much, your comp supports.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Well if you went and bought it anywhere else, it'd be $499.00 for Samsung, so yeah, dell is a rip-off.

Start here: http://www.pricewatch.com/

You can find SOME deals. Nothing great though. It's looking like around $200.00-220.00 per 512MB PC 800 RDRAM RIMM stick.

:)

Remember, you gotta install this stuff in pairs, so that means $400.00-440.00 + shipping for 1 GB RAM.

I did see some 512 MB 'kits' (2 sticks of 256 MB PC-600 RDRAM) for around $120.00, but PC-600 is usually pc-800 culls clocked down, nothing you really want to depend on.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a new Motherboard and rebuild around DDR, provided your processor isn't a socket 423. IF your processor is a socket 423 the only mobo I could find that is non-RDRAM only takes standard SDRAM. I just rebuilt a socket 423 system, so I know whereof I speak.

Good luck to you! You're gonna need it.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Man I just noticed the edit of the original post. What a chode. :p

On the plus side, RAMBUS seems to have come down some since this was originally posted.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Wait a sec, the 8200's mobo uses RDRAM?

And just beware if you decide to upgrade the mobo: Dell used to switch the voltage rails in the molex connectors. I'm not sure if they still do, but it's worth investigating just in case...