Wanted: Old ISA IDE controller with integrated BIOS

Want to sell off that old video card for that new GeForce? Looking for a used Sidewinder? This is the place to buy, sell, trade and post about hot deals you find!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Wanted: Old ISA IDE controller with integrated BIOS

Post by Avder »

I need an old ISA interface IDE controller that has an integrated BIOS that takes over the int13h function thus allowing installation of drives larger than 504 megabytes. The card also must support ATAPI CD-Rom Drives. No I/O or whatnot required, just the controller. Anyone have one of these ancient cards? Its for an old IBM 486 with a very limited bios.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

you may use a dynamic drive overlay instead. it supports up to 4 or 8 GB drives, i'm not sure. maybe there are new versions which support even more. then again, the 486 may be already limited.
i myself run a 1.08 GB drive and a 24x cd-rom on a 386-DX40 board with a simple ide controller, it works just fine. the hdd has a DDO.
try either the one from hitachi or seagate, both are free for download. search for "DDO" or "dynamic drive overlay". at least one of both of them work with drives from other manufacturers too.
the DDO is installed before formatting the drive. the readme will tell you more specific instructions i guess. i don't find the one i used on my hdd anymore, so i can't tell as much.

hope that helps,
~F
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

You know I may actually have one of these.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I really dont like those DDO things so I'd much rather go with a hardware solution...heh...
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I've got an old 486 sitting around, but I can't understand some of the cryptic 486 terms just thrown around. ;) I think the HD was 520 though.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Anyone out there got one of these cards? I could really use it.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Vader wrote:Anyone out there got one of these cards? I could really use it.
I'll ask around for ya.

edit: I've got one that has both IDE and floppy with the integrated BIOS. However, the card was made back in '87 so I'm gonna pop it in a spare system and see how high it'll go.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

Install Linux on that biatch, it'll walk right over the int13h BS like it wasn't even there ;)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I would, except I dont have a way to install a CDROM drive in the thing without a card like this, as for whatever BS reason, theres no ATAPI support.

Please poeople, stop suggesting software solutions to this issue. I specifically asked fotr a hardware solution and I intend to stay with that goal here.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I don't think you'd find such a beast.

You can find an ISA card for your CDROM, but not one that can override 13h and let you install an 8 gig HD.

You might have better luck asking for a 486 with PCI slots.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The 486 is right here, and it has 3 ISA slots. And I know these kinds of cards exist, I had one myself for my old and now deceased 486/33.