SnyTek's D2 Levels

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

SnyTek
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

SnyTek's D2 Levels

Post by SnyTek »

Ok, Diedel wanted that I show some of my levels and here they are :) .

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/snytek/descent ... levels.htm

I know, they are not everyone's taste but give them a chance :wink: . Most of them are very symmetric and are designed for Anarchy and CTF. I've made some notes about the game modes and the best player number (based on experience). I probably will add some in-game screenshots but it's often dificult to chose a representative one - that's why I just show the map shot.

Cheers
SnyTek

PS: If you play D3 have a look at the D3 level Section of my page :wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I took a look at your levels. To be honest: The only one I found interesting enough to take a closer look at is Eladom. It seems to have a good structure and an interesting twist with the force field protected flag containments.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I really like how you did the screenshots on your page where you used the Automap. No better way to show what you're going to get!

That said, my suggestion would be to learn to break from symmetry. Sure, we all love symmetry because it makes our lives much easier (you only build half the mine! :lol: ), but in practice, it's boring for the player. Rarely are maps for any multiplayer game symmetrical anymore, except for modes like CTF.

I like to practice \"broken symmetry\" in many of my designs. Often, I'll start symmetrical and then find ways to break it apart. Resize a room in one half, run a corridor that doesn't exist on the other side, change up the elevation, lighting and textures, etc. The end result is usually something that exhibits the benefits of symmetry (players can find the pattern), but doesn't bore them (there's enough broken about it to keep them on their toes). Eladom seems to be a good example of this (by visual inspection).

You have fairly nice, uncluttered designs nevertheless.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Kyouryuu, I know you asked SnyTek, but I've done this as well.

I'l just hit the \"print screen\" button and paste to any viewer at my disposal. \"Irfan View\" most of the time as it loads quickly.

In D1 or D2 where it wouldn't work in game, I'd run it in window mode and do it that way.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I, uh, didn't ask how he did it. ;)

Another way to get a similar effect would be to use that... \"simplified wireframe\" view in DMB2. At least, I think that's what it was called.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

OOOooooh :lol:

oops my bad. :roll: :wink: