Call out to all D2 level designers (old and new)!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Descent Vignettes a good idea?

Yes! And I'll be contributing!
28%
Yes! I'd love to play it when its done!
68%
No.
4%

Total votes: 25
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

My first level is also done and i've sent it to your mail already :) .

And i would like to check your first level ;)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Haven't started yet. It's only over the last two days I've had any time to do anything else though. Will get there soon enough.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

nice level Pumo, hope you enjoy what I did with my level. Wishmaster already likes it.
Glad to see you onboard Darkhorse/Sirius. You're a great duo team for level making. Sorry I failed in the past, but this time, I will make it up by contributing this time. I already got my second level almost done and almost butting up against the 'wall' limit. But I shall persevere!
Can't wait to see what you all have been able to come up with.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Oh yeah, i really liked your level :D
You're using very well the secondary textures on it, and it has a nice structure.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Awww, can we get some sneak peaks of these lvls?

I wanna see'em!! :mrgreen:
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

not quite yet, there are only two levels finished so far, I've yet to hear or receive complete levels from the rest of the makers just yet. But rest assured when it gets near to completion, I'll be releasing some screenshots for everyone to view.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I'm still handling some tidy-up work on my other level, which is why I haven't done much yet... hopefully that should be out of the way soon though.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sirius,

re your \"other\" level - did you read my PM? E-mail me the level please.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I still have that MIDI music I volunteered for the other campaign (the one in the topic I accidentally revived). I have ideas for more music too, and people tell me my music has a style that would be good for background music in a video game. Also, I have an interesting idea for how to implement the music: for each five level set, there's just one piece of music for the first four, and then a separate theme for the boss level. This way, each \"system,\" could have its own unique music, but you'd only need two themes for each one. I don't think I could compose enough for as many systems as are in this campaign, but I could team up with someone else.
Unfortunaltely, I don't have enough ideas for small levels. My ideas tend to be big.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

that's a good idea to have the same theme for four levels and a different for the boss level of that 'theme.' However, as of yet, I don't know what type of levels I'll be getting in or if we'll have enough 'theme' levels of each type to work this. So we'll figure out the music last. If anything else, we'd just need 5 songs, 4 traditional that would work with any 'themed' level and a boss theme.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

almost done with my second level. Just need to finish the interior of the central column and the side passages and I should be done. What's everyone else's status? Feel free to send any finished RL2s my way through email and I'll plug them in. No robots and power-ups yet beyond hostages and keys and reactors. Since I'm not entirely sure what level order it'll all be in until I get all levels in.

EDIT: came up with an awesome level idea, so I'm putting my boss level temporarily on hold until I can blast out this (relatively) easy level idea!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well, I've finished two levels, halfway done with a third and started a fourth and a good idea for a fifth. Still haven't heard much from the other designers. But now that its Christmas, maybe people have more time to work on the project. :)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I've received four levels already from Pumo, Wishmaster, Sirius and thus far, this mission is looking like it'll be a good one! However, haven't heard a thing from Kyouryuu about his contributions, so not sure if he's fully in or out on the project.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Too much other stuff to do, so no.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

gotcha, down 5 levels then. So we have a grand total so far of 25 levels if Darkhorse, Sirius, Pumo, Wishmaster and I create our 5. Then I'll probably add a few extra levels or so just for kicks as secret levels.
So if we have 4 and Kyouryuu was 5 (now gone), who was the sixth person who voted they'd be contributing?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Underway finally.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Received a few awesome high quality levels from Wishmaster and Pumo. Still awaiting on others. I'm almost done with my third level, its a lot more complicated to create than I had originally imagined it to be, but I'm sticking with it!

Update: Got two nicely done levels from Sirius. Looking forward to more from the rest.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Update to the whole project:
we have 8 full complete levels so far (2 from sirius, 2 from pumo, 1 from wishmaster, 0 from darkhorse, 3 from me)
1 full secret level included by me (not included in the 8 count above)
and probably a variety of levels still being worked on by all contributors.
So far its looking to be a very interesting set and well worth playing! Some of the designs I've seen are whacked out awesome! For other contributors, feel free to post your progress in this thread.

EDIT: Some screenies:
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

YES these are looking wicked, really looking forward to this work being released. Some interesting architecture going on there too..
good stuff!!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Nice screens. Ooooh yeah, D2X-XL ... you know that you can turn the HUD completely off for screenshots?

Would look even better if hires textures had been enabled. :wink:
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I'll keep that in mind when I make the release thread on descentbb with new screenshots. ;)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I have ten midis done, which sound best on 8mbgm enhanced, but sound good on just about anything. Judging from the screenshots, they'd fit in with the style of the campaign.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

hand them over to darkflamewolf@yahoo.com and we'll take a look-see (or hear-see in this case, ha ha).
Thanks!

ALSO this is not a requirement, but if anyone has spare polymodels lying around, a few new robots to the line-up wouldn't hurt either. And would be a nice change of pace to the standard. But then again, its only a request to have new robots for this set, so it won't hurt it any if no new robots will be placed into the set. When making them, try to keep in mind that I'll be using only d2 robots in addition to any new ones we get, so make it so that they can easily be used in place of any of the descent 1 robots.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I sent the music last night. Did you get it?
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

Alter-Fox, do you mind sending your MIDIs to me as well? (phoenix_ultimatum@yahoo.com) Just curious for a listen.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

not getting my emails Wishmaster? I believe I sent some of his to you.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

I don't have anything from you yet, but when did you send them? My Yahoo account sometimes takes a while (~12 hours) to get mail.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I've sent you constant updates on the descent vignettes level pack....gandalfdagraay@hotmail.com
That is still your email address right? You should have dozens of emails by now....
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It's fine if you choose not to include them. I just thought that the music wouldn't get annoying because the levels would be so small, so I composed the music around \"themes\". Besides, if you don't use them, then I could use them for my levels. But if you do decide to use them, that's fine with me too.

I just tried quantizing Deus Ex Machina, and it made it much worse.

EDIT: My real name is confidential. Please respect my privacy.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

No, that's just my MSN screenname. I don't use the e-mail account. phoenix_ultimatum@yahoo.com is my regular e-mail.

But I'll retrieve the messages from the Hotmail account so you don't have to send them again.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by DarkHorse »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:ALSO this is not a requirement, but if anyone has spare polymodels lying around, a few new robots to the line-up wouldn't hurt either. And would be a nice change of pace to the standard. But then again, its only a request to have new robots for this set, so it won't hurt it any if no new robots will be placed into the set. When making them, try to keep in mind that I'll be using only d2 robots in addition to any new ones we get, so make it so that they can easily be used in place of any of the descent 1 robots.
Will see what I can do. My priority is to get the levels done, which may take longer than I expected because I've got a couple big projects I'm working on now, one for a Crysis MOD and another for an animation company.

Bots don't take much work though, so as I just said, I'll see what I can do.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

yes, the levels ARE priority first. They should be done first before robots. Which is why new robots isn't a requirement. Thanks again for trying to fit it into your schedule.

EDIT: here's a few more screenshots, from a few recently made secret levels to boot:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Pumo has requested my midis for a campaign he's making, so you won't be using them.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Yeap. As they are already done, i will use them on my KCX-F2 campaing ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

OK. Thanks for the effort though.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

that's fine Fox, no hard feelings on either end I hope. Extra stuff like new robots, new music is a nice thing to have for this set. But its not required. The only thing at the moment I'm concerned about is the levels. Beyond that, if anyone is willing to donate said robots/music are more than welcome. But I am submitting the music and if really need be, the robot choices to the rest of the group for their opinions. Anyhoo, things are looking good thus far.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Three levels mostly done, haven't taken the time to finish any particular one. The themes I'm going for vary from standard D2 to... something weird.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

great! send them over my way as soon as you can! :D
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well, not entirely sure if people would be interested in this, but I'm working on a 5-level multiplayer level set to be released alongside this one. But knowing how much 'new' multiplayer levels actually ever get played beyond Minerva and a few stale standbys, not sure if this is worth it, what do you all think?

screenshots below
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Neat lookin' Could you post a pic without those coronas on?