Note re DMB-XP beta testing

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Resilient
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Resilient »

SSC-Thunderbird wrote:If you're looking at the automap in a multiplayer game, you're probably already dead unless you found a place to hide.
And there's never a place to hide if the host has turned on "show players on automap". :( I don't know if a lot of people consider that option a form of cheating but I think it helps especially in the bigger levels.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

It's cheating to turn it on unannounced.

If you play Tankie2, just be aware that she has it on.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

It's not really cheating when everyone in the game can do it as well. It is an actual game feature afterall. Turning that option ON when you host a game enables it for all players, not just the host.

Besides, I don't really consider it an advantage. You're extremely vulnerable trying to switch to the auto-map every few minutes trying to find someone anyways. Especially in FFA games.

It's a waste of time, hence why most of us that knew better never hosted games with it on. Well, that and you had the whiners saying it was some hack, cheat, etc....as usual. :P
Resilient
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Resilient »

Tyranny wrote:...you had the whiners saying it was some hack, cheat, etc....as usual.
Sore losers. :P

But the only reason I would want to use it is in a very large complex level with very few players (say 2-4). In those situations, it can take a looooong time to find each other. :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Tyr, it is cheating if you turn it on but don't tell anybody, since it's expected to be off.

If you enable players-on-map, make a macro, and spam it whenever people come in the game so they know. Otherwise, u = lame cheatx0r.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Never was a big deal for me since it was just another game feature. Plus I can't remember it ever really helping anyone against me since I hosted the majority of the games and never used it :P.

Just because they can see you on the map doesn't mean they know exactly where you're going to come out all the time. This does explain why Tankie always seemed to have a good idea on where I would be though. Didn't really do much for her, but meh.

I still don't consider this anywhere near as bad as the people using in-game radar hacks in D1x mostly. There were less then a handful of players using it, but far more then I cared for. Either way, it makes little difference now.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Back ON topic now...

I think I'm going to withdraw from the DLE-XP beta test for now, cause I just don't have the time to do it.

Of course I won't have a problem if you continue to send update notifications ;).