Note re DMB-XP beta testing

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

hrm...so basically when you press the key to activate the tab that tool becomes activated and won't let you continue the process through the tabs.

I have no programming experience so this will probably sounds stupid, but couldn't you just prevent the tool from stealing the focus? Like, basically make it where the tool is only allowed to take focus and function when you specifically use one of the features in it? Either by hotkey or clicking it with the mouse? *shrug*

Did you get my emails by the way? I know I'm bombarding you with tons of stuff today, lol.

oh, and btw, I know the mine view has more space the default way, but for some reason having the tools on the left hand side and the textures at the bottom is more visually acceptable for me. I think its because the eyes sometimes get distracted when theres a set of multiple colors in your peripheral vision. Especially if you have bad eye sight, the colors tend to be a focal point that draw the attention away from where it's needed. I guess my vision is more sensetive left and right then I am up and down. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I haven't got any e-mail from you, at least not at my home e-mail account. Check your PM. :wink:
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

I know of a few bugs or lack of features with dmb2 that might interest you
1.the use of custom .pig files and custom .256 files dmb defaults to groupa pallette despite the custom 256 file.

2. in dtx2 there are a few wall textures that dmb2 dont even use they look carried over from d1.

--thats all for now
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

theftbot,

#1 You mean DLE-XP should also load palettes from custom .256 files? :)

#2 You mean you can see textures in a level with DTX2 that are not D2 levels? Or what else?
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

yes DLE_XP should be able to use custom .256 files(either in d2 dir or added to d2.hog file)

Diedel DTX2 is a d2 texture editor for .pig or .pog files and there are some wall textures that dtx2 uses that arent listed in the dmb texture list even though it is just a few
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know what DTX2 is. Afaik the extra textures from DTX2 are some special textures for bots, reticle, pyro etc.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Diedel here is a couple of examples that DTX2 uses but dmb2 don't :Metl 009, Metl 021
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I'll look into it. It could be that they have simply different names in DMB2 though, as it does read all 910 main textures from D2.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

is it too much to ask if you use the came edit colors as dmb2 like reactorr are white arrows robots are pink and powerups are yellow and so forth cause i am really used to the dmb2 colors if it isnt too much to ask.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Afaik only powerup (now orange) and current object colors (now yellow, as cyan is not available in the palettes DLE-XP uses) have changed.

I have spent 100s of hours using DMB2, and it wasn't much of a transition to DLE-XP (color-wise), so I think it's not too hard to get accustomed to the new colors. ;)
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Or an Idea in preferences have boxes that you use rgb values to change them its just a idea.
BTW i like the editor.

Where can i see a list of changes and bug fixes from dmb2
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

http://www.brockart.de/descent/dle-xp-1.html <==Theftbot

The list is more comprehensive then that at this time, but those were significant improvements Diedel made building from the unreleased DMBIIv2.7 update designed by Bryan Aamot. We're still in the process of beta testing DLE-XP at the moment.

Hopefully Lothar can recover from his injury quickly and push DLE-XP to some limits that I can't quite reach myself. Course, if I were building just to push it I might be able to, but that isn't how I really build levels. I feel, based on the two levels I know of designed by Lothar, he has the best chance of using practically every feature DLE can offer.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

ill use this reply to point out bugs and suggestions:

1.switching from point mode to side mode dosent keep the same side. In dmb i switched from point to side mode using hotkeys and the first time it kept the same side until S was pressed again.

2.you cant selector reactor id it stays on 1 no matter what you pick.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Tyr, which two levels are you thinking of?

(I have 2 I'd like to port to D3 some day... wondering if it's the same pair.)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Theftbot wrote:ill use this reply to point out bugs and suggestions:

1.switching from point mode to side mode dosent keep the same side. In dmb i switched from point to side mode using hotkeys and the first time it kept the same side until S was pressed again.

2.you cant selector reactor id it stays on 1 no matter what you pick.
1. I have changed that, but will change it back.

2. Fixed already.

If you are using the demo, get the newest one. If not, which of my beta testers are you?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Lothar, whichever the last two I remember you releasing on Kali were. Sorry that I don't recall the names :(, it's been a while. From what I remember hearing though they were pretty complex. I'm sure if you threw out the names I'd be able ot recognize them though.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I have a question.

How come it won't open the level that was saved from DLE-XP?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What 'DMB-XP'? Which level? Do you think w/o any further information, that question would make any sense to me? I am trying hard, but I still cannot read other people's mind - at least not at that distance, you know? :wink:
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

He's talking about the Demo I believe since he's calling it DMB-XP and not DLE-XP. I noticed that you can technically save (only the hog file) but you can't open it because when it saved it doesn't save all the required information.

Therefor it can't be re-opened, which is the point because it's the demo version :P You're only allowed to look and play around with the features, not be able to save and re-open your work :P

Besides, DMB-XP is an older demo then the DLE-XPdemo.
http://www.brockart.de/descent/resource ... p-demo.exe <==The Latest Demo Version. When fixes are made on the Beta the demo is also upgraded so you need to keep downloading it every once in a while to make sure you have the latest demo.

If you want the full beta so you can save and be able to re-open the level you're working on you must agree to the terms listed on Diedel's first post for being a beta-tester and follow the guidelines accordingly. Diedel will handle the rest :P
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Tyranny,

all of my levels are up on www.tomandcatherine.com (all of the non-suck ones, anyway.) I hope to port Zora to D3.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

ah, it was Monkey Bars and Octave I was thinking of. I need to check those out :)

EDIT: They're not as complicated as I had thought. Never actually looked at them before, only heard people talking about them. The geometrical aspects are really awesome though. I wish I could think like that when building my levels. Zora was more my style of level building, hehe :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I personally think Tetrafusion is my best work, but unfortunately came about 2 years too late. Had I released it when ugh was popular, it would've been played a lot more.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

There, I've edited my topic above ^
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

My answer still stands the same. As long as you are using the demo you will not be able to save a level that can be re-opened.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Dark Falcon wrote:I have a question.

How come it won't open the level that was saved from DLE-XP?
"It"? What is "it"? :roll:

Do you mean the DLE-XP demo does not read levels that were saved with DLE-XP?

That's not true.

The only limitations the demo has is that you cannot save levels or block files, and that it will always show the splash screen when you start it.

Btw, whenever there's a new version of DLE-XP (for the beta testers), I also upload an updated version of the demo to my web site. The current version is 1.0.0.22. If you have an older one you might want to reload it.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Agreement
You will be granted the right to use the DLE-XP executable for non-profit, testing purposes.

Bryan Aamot or I can recall this right w/o giving a reason any time we see fit. In that case, you will have to remove DLE-XP from all the storage media where you have stored it.

You must not pass on DLE-XP, neither directly nor indirectly (e.g. by providing a download location and link for it) without Bryan's or my express permission.

You agree to provide sufficiently detailed bug reports to me for bug fixing purposes, including all data used when encountering a bug.

Any data (e.g. levels) provided by you together with bug reports will only be used by me for debugging DLE-XP and not be passed to others.

You agree to naming me a valid e-mail address of yours (not a hotmail or similar 'anonymous' account) for getting access to full versions of the DLE-XP executable.

Your e-mail address will only be used for communicating with you in the process of testing and debugging DLE-XP. It will not be passed to others. It will only be used by me in a firewall and virus protected environment to minimize the risk of it being abused by any harmful activity of third parties (e.g. hackers, viruses etc.) on my computers.
I agree

My E-Mail is Theftbot@descent-rangers.com
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Something that crossed my mind:

The ability to merge cubes would be nice, especially if you get sloppy in designing them (going overkill with cubes in a single area will slaughter D2's frame rate). I figure that could be quite a difficult task though ;).
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It would definitely be non-trivial, to say the least. I wouldn't bother. It's your own damned fault if you designed the room poorly. Don't expect the editor to make up for your lousy judgement. :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I think it wouldn't be that easy, if the cubes to be merged had more cubes attached.

Usually I design complicated rooms with a lot of cubes and when the geometry is done, I reduce their number.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Can Someone Send Me an E-mail!

Here's mine again: chad.d@juno.com

My future e-mail address will be: darkfalcon757@juno.com
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

BTW Diedel do you have a list of levels you made
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Dark Falcon wrote:Can Someone Send Me an E-mail!

An email will not be sent until you follow the directions in the first post in this thread.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Dark Falcon wrote:Can Someone Send Me an E-mail!

Why do you want someone to send you an e-mail - to test your e-mail accounts? :roll:
Resilient
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Note re DMB-XP beta testing

Post by Resilient »

Diedel wrote:Agreement
  • You will be granted the right to use the DLE-XP executable for non-profit, testing purposes.
  • Bryan Aamot or I can recall this right w/o giving a reason any time we see fit. In that case, you will have to remove DLE-XP from all the storage media where you have stored it.
  • You must not pass on DLE-XP, neither directly nor indirectly (e.g. by providing a download location and link for it) without Bryan's or my express permission.
  • You agree to provide sufficiently detailed bug reports to me for bug fixing purposes, including all data used when encountering a bug.
  • Any data (e.g. levels) provided by you together with bug reports will only be used by me for debugging DLE-XP and not be passed to others.
  • You agree to naming me a valid e-mail address of yours (not a hotmail or similar 'anonymous' account) for getting access to full versions of the DLE-XP executable.
  • Your e-mail address will only be used for communicating with you in the process of testing and debugging DLE-XP. It will not be passed to others. It will only be used by me in a firewall and virus protected environment to minimize the risk of it being abused by any harmful activity of third parties (e.g. hackers, viruses etc.) on my computers.
I'd like to give this a try. I agree to the conditions and would be happy to help beta test. :)

I used to be a regular on these boards a while back. I tried getting my old name to work but even after getting a new password it still wouldn't let me log in. Oh well. :roll:

E-mail: savageone@comcast.net
Resilient
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Note re DMB-XP beta testing

Post by Resilient »

To anyone who has agreed to beta test DLE-XP:

I just thought I'd bring this to everyone's attention, since I'm not sure if I was the only one Diedel was doing this to. After agreeing to Diedel's terms and receiving the full version of DLE-XP, he began to PM me through this site asking for my real name. After refusing to tell him (he asked for it several times without giving any reason why he needed it), he simply decided that I am no longer a tester and I should remove the program from my computer.

Here is part of the original agreement, taken directly from Diedel's initial post in this thread:
Diedel wrote:
  • You agree to naming me a valid e-mail address of yours (not a hotmail or similar 'anonymous' account) for getting access to full versions of the DLE-XP executable.
It says that we must agree to give him our e-mail address. Nowhere does it say that our full name is required. I chose not to give out that information because it is private and I did not believe he had any need for it. Here are the PM's that were exchanged over the past several days:

Diedel:
Check your e-mail; if you have received the access data for DLE-XP, please reply and let me know your real name, as you will then know mine anyway.

Me:
You can just call me Eddie, everyone else does.

Diedel:
As we are working together now and you know my real name, I'd like to know your full real name.

Me:
Actually, I don't know your real name yet. And honestly, it scares me just a little when someone I don't know asks for my full name. I hope you won't be offended if I decide to keep that information private, at least for now. May I ask why you need my full name?

Diedel:
You should have received an e-mail with d/l instructions for DLE-XP for beta testing containing my full name in the e-mail address and in the signature. I think it's only fair if I have your real name in return.

Me:
Well, yes, I noticed that your full name shows up in the "from" column, but that is entirely your choice to disclose that information about yourself. Giving me your full name does not mean that I need to give you mine. If you required the testers to provide their full name, you should have included that as part of the agreement. I am just here to try the program and help you find any problems or maybe make it better.

Diedel:
if you prefer to play the d*ck on me here, here's the rest of the deal: Herewith I recall our agreement w/o any further reason, cancelling your right to use DLE-XP, as stated in the agreement. Please remove DLE-XP from all your storage media as stated there.

He wasn't winning the argument; he probably knew by that time that I wasn't going to cave in, so instead of pursuing further he simply revoked my privilege to use DLE-XP. Yes, part of the agreement says that he may cancel the agreement at any time for any reason, but in my opinion this is hardly a valid reason to do so. This type of behavior and attitude is irrational and I won't tolerate it.

During my short-lived time as beta tester, I did get to try out the program somewhat. And I realize that, after all, I have gotten by with DMB all these years, and I can continue that way if need be. Whatever DLE-XP can do, I'm sure DMB can too. Some things may take more time or effort, but I won't mind now that I see who I would have been reporting to. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd rather not be involved with someone like that. If the agreement says you only need to give your e-mail address and promise to provide bug reports, suggestions, etc. then that's all you should need to do. If a full name was required to be on the team and use the software, then put it in the agreement. Otherwise, have a little respect for other people's privacy please.

Moderators, or any other administrators that may come across this message: This is not a flame, nor am I trying to deface anyone. I was merely offended by his repeated attempts to get personal private information from me that I was not comfortable giving out, and felt that I should let others know. Move, remove, or edit this message if necessary. I apologize if I have offended anyone, that was not my intention. If anyone would like to discuss this further, please PM me. I'm sure Diedel would appreciate it if any subsequent posts here were related to DLE-XP and not this incident.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

hey resilient: did you get permission to post a private conversation?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The agreement says that I can terminate it at any time w/o giving any reason.

So I have done.

You could have told me your full name, which I consider only fair after having received mine and a simple act of trust if two people work together. Instead you chose to play the smartass on me, which is something *I* will not tolerate. Right and wrong seem to have a meaning to wide for you to grasp.

Btw, none of the other beta testers had a problem with telling me their real names.

So stop whining. You're out, and if it could have ever been more final, it is after your stupid attempt to start a flamewar here.

Finally, if I've ever read a blatant lie here, then it is this one:
Moderators, or any other administrators that may come across this message: This is not a flame, nor am I trying to deface anyone.

Note to the mods: I believe this forum is an absolutely inappropriate place for Resilient's ramblings.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ferno wrote:hey resilient: did you get permission to post a private conversation?
No, he didn't. At least not from me.
Resilient
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Resilient »

See, I knew people were going to take this the wrong way, even when I clearly stated that I did not make that post to start trouble, only to bring up a point.

I clearly recall writing in my post, "If anyone would like to discuss this further, please PM me." I did not want to turn this into a public debate.

Ferno: Yes, this could have been kept a private conversation, but my reason for posting it here was to see if the same thing has happened to anyone else, or if anyone shares my views in this matter.

Diedel: I will discuss with you privately.

Everyone else, please, like I said before, I never meant to offend anyone or start trouble, but people are not listening to me. I thought everyone has a right to privacy. If other testers felt comfortable giving their full name, that is solely their choice. I chose not to give out personal information. Unless the law states that I am required to give it out, then it should not be held against me. It's the same reason some people choose not to give their age. It's private, and they're uncomfortable sharing it. Just have respect and leave it be, is all I'm saying. Please tell me there's at least one person here who understands what I'm saying.

This will be my last post on this matter. Things got taken out of context and I believe we should just put this aside so that everyone can get back to the original topic. Again, I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone. My posts were not meant to cause harm, only to state my thoughts on the matter. Thank you for your understanding.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I don't seem to ever recall giving my full name to the project. However, I think both of you are being extremely pigheaded. Did I just transport myself to the middle of a kindergarten playground?