Descent Vignettes Release Thread!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

What did you think of the level set?

Was an awesome ride!
72%
Very innovative level designs!
12%
Pretty solid mission pack!
4%
It'll have to do.
4%
It took a full year for this?
8%

Total votes: 25
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Descent Vignettes Release Thread!

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

A fun 25 level + 2 secret level set that focuses mainly on strong, fast, challenging gameplay and a bunch of robots to blast! Each level centers around a central theme and doesn't deviate much from that theme. Furthermore, there is at least one room in each level where you can have a good all-out dogfight with a bunch of robots! Finally, the secret level exits are on level 11 and level 19. Leave the reactor room and search for newly opened areas once the reactor is blown to find these secret exits. Beware though, these secret levels are insanely rough! Enjoy the set!

Set Download:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=207

Program Download to play it:
http://www.descent2.de/ (download D2X-XL, make sure you read the installation guide properly from the left hand navigation bar menu on the site!)
This program still requires you have the original Descent 1 to operate it.

Screenshots:

Comments, feedback are very welcome! Hope you all enjoy the set. Took over a year to make the darn thing! Thanks to all who helped out: Sirius, Pumo!
Everyone have fun!
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

This is really a good mission set, everyone should try it out!

BTW, Note it's a D1 set and it works on all Descent 1 versions (even the old 1.5 for DOS) ;)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

You actually can play this on XL without D1 installed, but it's not much of a game. :]
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Really?

Since this is a D1 mission AFAIK XL needs the D1 PIG and HOG files to read D1 texture data, or at least that's how it works on my side :?
Or do you mean you don't need to have D1 fully installed, but just the PIG/HOG data files?

Anyway, i've tested the set on D1X-Rebirth and it works great, so i think this shows it's designed for D1 and thus it requires D1 files >_>
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

It does. You can play it on XL with no textures, incorrect sound files and static robots without D1.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Someone always has to be different. :lol:
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I just reupdated the zip file. Apparently, vignettes as a word is one character longer than the original Descent 1 OR D1 Rebirth can handle. 9 character file names seem to blow the program's mind. But d2x-xl can handle this flawlessly. Regardless, the new zip file has the file names reduced down to 8 characters. But I'm sure the more perceptive of you have already done this yourself.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:Program Download to play it:(download D2X-XL, make sure you read the installation guide properly from the left hand navigation bar menu on the site!)
This program still requires you have the original Descent 1 to operate it.
Seeing as you DFW are having so many issues with D2X-XL yourself. Not to mention the creator of D2X-XL told you to bugger off in regards to any support

Let's just direct everyone to http://www.dxx-rebirth.com where all you need is Descent to PLAY Descent!!
DarkFlameWolf wrote:Apparently, vignettes as a word is one character longer than the original Descent 1 can handle. 9 character file names seem to blow the program's mind. But d2x-xl can handle this
Seriously does 8.3 mean anything to you...(creator of the editor)? Not to mention... if you are indeed able to use more than 8 characters then your are actually breaking compatibility..... Therefore logic dictates = flawed.

Next time be aware of your limitations of a game from 1993-94 and it's vignet~1

in this day and age you think even Autodesk would update the .3ds file format and material id name limitations. Actually why would they, it's a convention that maintains backward compatibility and the exporters give you a warning dialog in those cases. :idea:

Anyways: so far levels are ok, would be better if they were not so bright in Classic D1 placement and quantity of lights do not justify the brightness of certain rooms
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

no need to attack me for trying to do the community a favor by giving another 25+ level set to enjoy. And as for lighting and placement, I looked through the WYSIWYG feature of DMB2 with the shading turned on and used that as my basis for if a room/level was bright or dark enough to my personal standards. Beyond that, since my computer hates a lot of custom Descent engines except D2x-xl (and even that is questionable sometimes), I really have no other basis for lighting than the built in feature of DMB2 so I can see what I'm getting outside of what D2x-xl is going to give me.
raydreamer
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by raydreamer »

Not to fret the previous comment Wolf...there is an old saying \"those who can't do anything, complain about everything.\"
Speaking of the \"characters\"...I suggest our benefactor check webster's definition of
character and try to develop one.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, that was an interesting drive-by from someone who has apparently been lurking for four years. The plot thickens.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

ahh yes the plot does thicken... cheese puffs anyone, oh wait do you prefer...... Cheese DOODLE's?

Build it in devil next time! :)

why are the reactor doors placed directly in front of the reactor, takes all the fun out of actually going into the reactor room....

raydream studio anyone remember that program?

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

There's no point in learning an obsolete editor to build levels for an old game. The best option is to use a newer version of D1X that'll work on recent operating systems to test, especially if trying to run it through D2X-XL gives you different lighting.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Regardless, the discussion is moot anyway, its done, its released. Enjoy.
How'd you like it DH?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

This thread reminds me of an old Cosby skit…A nut in every car, except it’s…A creep in every thread.

Don’t let the bastards get you down. (sorry, my Latin is rusty)

I wish I could see the missions, but I don’t play anymore.
Bagheera
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bagheera »

Im still trying to slowly grind my way through enemy within......ill finish it....eventually....or run out of lives and patience from the hordes of robots that make left 4 dead look like a cakewalk :/
The BP Pilot.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Vignettes is probably less punishing than Enemy Within is though. At least in my opinion it is.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Same. It has its moments, but overall it is easier.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Although level 17 is insanely hard unless you're smart enough to stay inside the 'observatory' and kill off all the robots before you venture out into the main hall. In fact, that is what you are supposed to do honestly. Utilize it to the fullest.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I've yet to reinstall D1. Had a busy month so far.
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

[/lurk]

I just finished \"Roundabout,\" and I must say, that's the most appropriate level title ever. The locked doors are a great simulation of the arcane right-of-way system, and even when you figure out which route to take, the matcens pump out some traffic to punish you for making progress.

Really good level set so far. It's been challenging, without being frustrating, and the themes give a nice structure to the progression of each level, without making them too predictable.

Keep up the good work!
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Got about halfway through so far, really enjoyable. Nice Job.

Side Note:I believe it's level 4 that has the exit tunnel that goes up through a room you already went through, and out a second exit?

In that level, lock the red door on the inside. I flew out the way I came in, and spent the whole countdown trying to figure out how to set off the trigger.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

heh.. ya know, that nearly got me too. I noticed it before blowing the reactor. It's part of the exit tube. Both doors open when you blow the reactor and you go through the one in the reactor chamber. The exit sequence will take you out through that door as well. A nice touch taking your exit tunnel Through the levels! :)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I just checked, it is locked. Not sure what happened there.
And as for the exit tunnels, I tried my best to make each tunnel take you through 'some' part of the level 'somehow.'
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

BUBBALOU wrote:oh wait do you prefer...... Cheese DOODLE's?
They don't sell those in Gaffney, SC.
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

It's because you can destroy the reactor from outside the red door. You need to block the player's line of sight to the reactor to force him into the room. That said, cruising through the level during the exit sequence is a really cool effect.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

BlueFlames wrote:
It's because you can destroy the reactor from outside the red door. You need to block the player's line of sight to the reactor to force him into the room. That said, cruising through the level during the exit sequence is a really cool effect.
Ya, I think that is what I did. The effect was *sweet* though. Reminded me a little of D3, but better. I liked the exit tunnel where it looped over the domed room too.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

The domed room? Which level was this? Great Escape?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah, level 4.

oh, one other thing. If you start the set over, you are not offered the option to start at \"X\" level; you start at level one each time.

I don't know if there's anything you can do about that, but just wanted to point it out. :)
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:The domed room? Which level was this? Great Escape?

Yep, that's the name.
Duper wrote:yeah, level 4.

oh, one other thing. If you start the set over, you are not offered the option to start at "X" level; you start at level one each time.

I don't know if there's anything you can do about that, but just wanted to point it out. :)
Were you using cheats? It doesn't unlock the new levels in that case.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

oh, one other thing. If you start the set over, you are not offered the option to start at "X" level; you start at level one each time.

Don't know about that weirdness. Might be a bug in D2x-xl. Because I'm getting the same thing, but on ALL missions with that program.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

WHOOPS! I was playing through it again today and saw that the secret area in level 21 had NOTHING IN IT! So I popped in a smart and mega and all should be good. Redownload if you haven't gotten to that point yet so that stuff can help you out NOW.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

The 'Start on level X' Works on D1X Rebirth, just tested it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I recently reported this issue with D2X-XL, and it has since been resolved as \"fixed\".
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I found a bug. I cannot load my saved game of the Vignettes. I use D1X-Rebirth 0.55.1, and have not had this issue with countless other saves.

I play some, save, and return to the main menu. When I load, it says \"unable to load mission: 'Vignettes'\". I redownloaded and extracted the files, and I still get the same error. Any ideas?
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

Rename Vignettes.hog and Vignettes.msn to VIGNETTE.hog and VIGNETTE.msn respectively.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

redownload the latest version, not only did the file names get resolved to 8 characters, but there are numerous bug fixes too.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Zantor wrote:I found a bug.
Not a bug, 8.3 issue

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:

Don't know about that weirdness. Might be a bug in D2x-xl. Because I'm getting the same thing, but on ALL missions with that program.
sorry for the late reply. I just read over this again.

I use rebirth, not XL. I also don't have this problem playing through the original Descent levels. I'll try the revised set this weekend and give you an update. :)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I just got an PM from a player using rebirth saying that the level select works fine for them.
Anyway, there is also some confusion as to how to get the weapons in the supply cache behind the reactor in secret level 1, well, here's the solution:
You CAN'T get those power-ups as long as the reactor is active and in working condition. Blow up the reactor and then look towards the doors to the left and right of the exit door just below the reactor. You can access that cache area from there. But you have roughly 45 seconds to get anything you need and want from there and still exit out alive. So you may want to save before blowing reactor and keep reloading and exploring until you found the perfect route through the supply cache to get the main 'prime' items and exit. Because there is NO WAY you can get every single item in that supply cache before the mine explodes. So you need to pick and choose the best items to get in the time alotted. Cool?