Descent Vignettes Release Thread!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

What did you think of the level set?

Was an awesome ride!
72%
Very innovative level designs!
12%
Pretty solid mission pack!
4%
It'll have to do.
4%
It took a full year for this?
8%

Total votes: 25
Marvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Marvin »

I have one problem. Every time when Im near to yellow doors in level 25, the game shut down. Doyou have some idea how to eliminate it? I use D1x-rebirth... Btw I have really fun with this levels so hope someone can help me:)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Its a bug in the rebirth program that causes this, its been noted. And Zico has currently fixed this bug but as of yet, I do not believe he's released the fixed version yet. Why? I'm not entirely sure.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

because his releases generally include a great assortment of fixes. I've not known him to do \"micro release\".
Marvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Marvin »

ok, thx, finally I did with a really lot of loads and saves again and again until it worked:)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

yeah, sorry about that, until he finally releases a new version of Rebirth, you're just going to have to suffer through the bug in level 25. It sucks, but oh well. :-/
d2x-xl doesn't have this problem though. But last I checked (I haven't downloaded a new version since .144 because its so stable and later versions (up to .150+) that I've tested seem to break that, so I can't verify its continued existence), you couldn't get into secret level 1 in Vignettes without d2x-xl crashing. So you pick and choose which you think is worse.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Tested secret level 1 on 1.14.193, no crash.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

I used the astral cheat on level 25 to fly directly to the boss room, the D1X crashes got too frusterating...but kudos, it *is* incredibly well made.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Its a bug in the D1 engine itself based on robot path-finding. I guess that particular layout of the level screws with robot path-finding when they are finding routes to get to you and it crashes. This was verified by Zico when he fixed it in an upcoming version of d1xrebirth which should have the bug non-existant by that point.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Oh... that's interesting to hear.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I know, this bug was apparently fixed in the interim between Descent 1 and Descent 2's release.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:Its a bug in the D1 engine itself based on robot path-finding. I guess that particular layout of the level screws with robot path-finding when they are finding routes to get to you and it crashes. This was verified by Zico when he fixed it in an upcoming version of d1xrebirth which should have the bug non-existant by that point.
It was actually intentional. Interplay knew that people might be able to beat the game on insane, so they added an even harder difficulty. See, the robots stopped trying to shoot at you, and are instead using software beams to lock up your game. It's quite an innovative idea actually.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

What's the title of the level 19 music? I really liked that one. I remastered it in FL Studio, and I want to give it its correct title. (Knowing DFW's missions I would have looked in the credits, but the mission doesn't seem to have them. I guess in D1 it might need to have briefings for that?)
gameaddict11707
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by gameaddict11707 »

Stroodles wrote:It was actually intentional. Interplay knew that people might be able to beat the game on insane, so they added an even harder difficulty. See, the robots stopped trying to shoot at you, and are instead using software beams to lock up your game. It's quite an innovative idea actually.
Good one! :mrgreen:
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

gameaddict11707 wrote:
Stroodles wrote:It was actually intentional. Interplay knew that people might be able to beat the game on insane, so they added an even harder difficulty. See, the robots stopped trying to shoot at you, and are instead using software beams to lock up your game. It's quite an innovative idea actually.
Good one! :mrgreen:
I try.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

All videos are now available for Vignettes!
heatbag
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by heatbag »

Many thanks to DarkFlameWolf and his crew for releasing new and extremely high quality mission packs.

I've just finished Vignettes and I really liked it!

The dog fighting element of these levels is really fun!

Please keep up the good work!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

And here was I thinking her gender was not that well-kept a secret :mrgreen:
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I won't even bother correcting.

Regardless, I'm glad you like the level set. I tried my best to make each level have at 'least' one dogfighting room. Because you simply do not get enough of that fun-ness in the original Descent campaign.
heatbag
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by heatbag »

How embarrassing for me... Sorry about that DFW!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

heatbag wrote:How embarrassing for me... Sorry about that DFW!
lol. don't feel bad. i think we've all done that at one time or another. ;)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Must... Download...
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

you haven't gotten this yet Xfing?
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, I've played through this. Difficult as hell, but also beautiful as hell. These levels are some of the most stunning D1 levels I've ever played, they eclipse even Descent 2 levels with their design to be honest. The textures offered by Descent 1 are more matter-of-fact and give a great industrial feel - also congratulations for using the fuel center doors, as they were not included in the original 30 levels. Perfect job in general, I applaud you, DFW.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Except level 25 of course, because it tends to crash in quite a few points. I'll probably wait 'til Rebirth fixes this problem, as I don't play on XL.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

that can't be helped, its actually a bug in the Descent 1 robot pathfinding code that causes level 25 to crash. That's a mistake on Parallax's part, not ours. However, that bug was fixed in Descent 2 and in the latest versions of D2X-XL. Rebirth is taking forever to get a new version out which fixes this bug, so right now, D2X-XL is the only program out there that can run this entire set smoothly.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I've got the newest version of XL. The graphics are indeed stunning, but the sound is a mess. Just my machine's problem, most likely. I recommend XL only to those with substantial experience playing vanilla.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Your sound problems might have to do with the -hires_sound 2 switch located in the d2x.ini file.

If you don't have hires sounds installed?
Then you need to either download them or change the switch from:

-hires_sound 2 (44 khz sounds ('sounds2' subfolder) to

-hires_sound 1 (22 khz sounds ('sounds1' subfolder).

Further help regarding XL would be better suited at the XL forum.

No need to continue to derail this thread anymore. ;)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Agreed.

So I'd like to say I loved the ice themed Vignettes. Question for DFW, how did you make that Observatory Tubes gimmick with non-retaliating robots? Didn't know that could be scripted...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It can't - they just can't see you, so don't try to shoot you.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

So I take it this depends on the texture used? These two bars are not treated like a normal grating?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's the wall on the other side. It isn't see-through in the other direction, at all. You'd be able to pull off the same effect with any partially transparent texture, as long as the other side was completely opaque.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Thanks, Sirius. Sounds simple enough. After I'm done with my baccalaureate I may give level designing a shot too.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sorry for double posting, but I've found that Claustrophobia is actually possible to complete, even using Rebirth. All players need to do is avoid some cubes. Here's some hints:

- If you don't want the game to crash, always enter the yellow key and red key rooms through the upper doors and exit them through the lower right. Any other approach will crash the game.
- Also the middle area of the red key room (just stay near the edges at all times and you'll be ok)
- The energy center near the red key room is bugged. The one near the yellow key room is alright, though, so if you need recharge, use that one.

If you follow these pointers you can play Claustrophobia on Rebirth with minimal damage to the overall fun factor, and it's otherwise bugless and perfectly completable.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

its so odd, that the bugs would work in that fashion. It'd be interesting to find out what is truly going on there with the level design and the coding of the Descent engine with regards to the crashing.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yeah, evidently. But I posted only my observations (which are double-checked and accurate). I have no idea what these could implicate, but at least I confirmed it actually is possible to complete Claustrophobia. The boss fight is epic :D
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Xfing wrote:Yeah, evidently. But I posted only my observations (which are double-checked and accurate). I have no idea what these could implicate, but at least I confirmed it actually is possible to complete Claustrophobia. The boss fight is epic :D
I appreciate this. The Yellow Key room has been my vile archenemy for a very long time.
Lord Scalgon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Lord Scalgon »

Xfing wrote:Yeah, evidently. But I posted only my observations (which are double-checked and accurate). I have no idea what these could implicate, but at least I confirmed it actually is possible to complete Claustrophobia. The boss fight is epic :D
So I made an attempted recording run for level 25, and I followed what you said, but after I obtained the red key, as I exited the room to the lower right, the game crashed. I even tried exiting to the same door I entered and the game still crashed...and yes, I stayed close to the edges.

I guess to me, it's just not possible.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

try using d2x-xl, the engine simply ignores the inherent bug within Descent 1 coding that apparently level 25 trips.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Just a minor bump:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflamewo ... F820E12C49
A complete youtube walkthrough with every secret and secret level revealed, for those curious about it all. I'm also thinking of starting up a no death, hotshot, speed run series of Vignettes...if enough interest was involved.