Looking to Archive 100% of all D1 and D2 levels

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Looking to Archive 100% of all D1 and D2 levels

Post by Lobber »

Please let me know if you have a Thumbweb descent level CD, as it has many that I need to complete a collection I have.

Also, any links you have to sites that have large quantities of levels and level packages.

I wish to have a comprehensive library of all levels for D1 and D2.

Thanks
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't have a huge level collection (see PD or KoolBear's for these), but some pretty solid D2 SP & MP missions. Find them here.

Find another list of a few very well designed D1 & D2 missions by Grant Hallman and Lars A. Christensen here.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Thank you. I'll check them out tomorrow, when I've had some rest.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

www.planetdescent.com has a lot of levels too.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

http://www.pooterman.com since '94
http://www.koolbear.com since '94 allows uploading but requires a user account

Straight download sections both with access to directories no login required.

Planetdescent requires login if I am not mistaken
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I don't think so, fileplanet does, but not the direct file link.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I haven't had FTP access nor the ampition to work on this site for quite some time, but we've got a mess of D1/2 levels and what not at http://archives.descent.cx/
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

PD only requires a login if you want to download from FilePlanet (and that login is separate from PD's own). Downloading from DFiles.de doesn't need one. Most of the D1/D2 levels (if not all) don't have their own DFiles.de download links however. Only the pack that carries all of them.

In fact, if you want to download the entire archive of D2 levels, the FP link doesn't actually work right now (I got a 404 from FP) while the DFiles link does.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Tyr, two links were broken:

http://missions.dyndns.org/missions/shrpnlrm(D2).zip
http://missions.dyndns.org/missions/ufn(D2).zip

You might consider zipping all of your levels up for one big download to make things easier for others. I strongly recommend that.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the link Mr.Perfect, but would it be possible to have all of the levels you're hosting be zipped up into a single file? It's the easiest way, to place them inside a zip and merge zip files to reduce redundancy, and reduce work and downloading efforts.

I'd appreciate it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I haven't had FTP access nor the ampition to work on this site for quite some time, but we've got a mess of D1/2 levels and what not at http://archives.descent.cx/
Nice site, but what is a search function w/o level list good for, if you do not know what to search for (and actually aren't looking for anything specific), but simply want to browse a level list? :wink:

I am still hunting a lost level of mine, the name of which I have forgotten, so I cannot simply search for its name ... :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oooooh, that's a beautiful site! Very well done indeed!
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Alphabetical lists are available for the D1 levels. Kinda the only way to get to them, really. Aparently there where never any D2 level pages made though(last update was March of 2003 BTW, so memory is a bit fuzzy).
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

SSC-Thunderbird wrote:PD only requires a login if you want to download from FilePlanet (and that login is separate from PD's own). Downloading from DFiles.de doesn't need one. Most of the D1/D2 levels (if not all) don't have their own DFiles.de download links however. Only the pack that carries all of them.
Actually, Thunderbird, all of the D1 and D2 missions do have their own DFiles links. FuriousMojo added all of them to the server shortly before he left.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

hrm...thanks for the broken links slobber :P They're fixed now. They were there but both the links to them had a small typo. I also added an option to download a Full D1 and D2 archive of my levels on the main Mission Vault Page as you suggested as well.

Thx for the compliment Diedel. Nice to have people look at the site again for a change.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Alphabetical lists are available for the D1 levels. Kinda the only way to get to them, really. Aparently there where never any D2 level pages made though(last update was March of 2003 BTW, so memory is a bit fuzzy).
I already have several hundred megabytes of D1 and D2 levels. I don't want to individually download every level from your site if I have it already, and the only way to know is to check manually. That's why I asked if there was a complete zip of all levels in one file, because you can copy and paste a zip file into another zip file and the computer will identify renduntant files and ask to overwrite or ignore them. This is the most efficient way to make sure I have all levels ever created. Failing that, all levels ever created that can be salvaged.

Therefore, do you know if all of your levels are mirrored on the main level archives, or do you know of any unique levels that you alone are hosting?
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Top Gun wrote:
SSC-Thunderbird wrote:PD only requires a login if you want to download from FilePlanet (and that login is separate from PD's own). Downloading from DFiles.de doesn't need one. Most of the D1/D2 levels (if not all) don't have their own DFiles.de download links however. Only the pack that carries all of them.
Actually, Thunderbird, all of the D1 and D2 missions do have their own DFiles links. FuriousMojo added all of them to the server shortly before he left.
Oops. Didn't look :P. I wonder how long that took.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

GameEdit isn't exactly a Descent 2 site, but there're levels there. Specifically, Schplurg's four Descent II levels. And not long ago I added my incomplete D2 campaign to it.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Don't forget too, Lobber, that while the file names might be redundant, the levels themselves might not, so look out for that even though its a harder one to look out for without looking at all the levels.

We ran into this little problem over a year ago already and ended up lucking out that the file names wouldn't cause any conflicts. Yeesh, can't believe it's been THAT long. Feels like you and I were just having this discussion not too long ago.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I believe it had something to do with a level name like: Chrysalis
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

bingo
Kumba
DBB Ace