Descent 1 1/2

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Descent 1 1/2

Post by Xfing »

Naphtha wrote:
Xfing wrote:Ok, I've tweaked the Falls of Truth and reuploaded it.

- Had to change the mission name from "Falls of Truth by Naphtha" to simply "Falls of Truth", else my Rebirth wouldn't run it

- Tweaked lighting by changing the luminosity values of the small round lights, small unbreakable lights and door lights to 60% each and then running the automatic lighting process. Before some lights (especially the unbreakable truncated square ones) were so dark they didn't actually seem to emit light at all.

- Removed the obsolete HAM file, which fixed the sounds.

- Added the boss - Vertigo 1. Also inserted a modified version of d2x.ham to support it. No extra files needed to play the level this way and the robot has been improved.

- Couldn't really do anything about the red spiderbot monitor, since you used all other kinds of monitors in the level anyway, so there was nothing I could replace with the spiderbot monitor frames (I'm talking about its completely screwed up animation when shattered) I simply replaced it with the Red Fatty monitor for now.
Huh, I thought I put the boss in just fine. :huh: Either way, though, I'm all right with most of the other changes. I try to keep lighting as consistent as possible so D2X-XL doesn't change it much from what you see in Rebirth and Retro, but since most levels tend to be darker there anyway when you enable lightmaps, I guess I can let it slide. :P Understood about the monitor as well, btw, and I tried to eliminate any instances of it in the level, but I must have missed one or two.
Exactly one :P

Including the monitor in the form Parallax did was sooooo lazy. This crap shouldn't have made it past the beta :x

I've managed to fix the monitor somehow in d1optim.pog, but there's a side effect in that the animation loses several frames. I had to make it fit with all other D1 monitors, after all. If one eschewed the other monitors and focused just on this one, I think it would be possible to find exact frame-to-frame equivalents.

BTW, that gave me an idea. Perhaps I can screw with the PIG files the same way I screwed with the SXX files, inserting additional textures into each of them so that no replacement would need to be done. I'll go and ask Jeff if that's feasible, but there's no reason it shouldn't be, logically :twisted:
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

You mean Jeff250? I think he was also the one who was helping me create a Descent 3 version of Genova Catacombs...whatever happened to that Jeff? Do you still have the unfinished level file at all?
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:You mean Jeff250? I think he was also the one who was helping me create a Descent 3 version of Genova Catacombs...whatever happened to that Jeff? Do you still have the unfinished level file at all?
I don't think he visits this thread, best if you dropped him a PM I think.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Guys, sorry about being practically dead for all this time, but I'm just now wrapping up my bachelor's degree. I should have quite a bit more time for making levels after this. So how are y'all holding up?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Still slogging through my DLE changes - hasn't been the most exciting work I've ever done, but I do hope I'll be done soon and can start doing stuff with it...
(except I'll probably just be fixing the bugs I introduced for a month... lol)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Good luck with that... coding's a bish, innit? :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It depends on the project. The problem with this one is DLE is extremely complicated, so it takes a long time to make major changes unless you don't want them to work properly... and when you're spending a long time on stuff without getting results, it gets harder to keep going, which makes it take even longer.

Such is the nature of large projects. It's why when someone says "Hi, I'm new to level editing and I am building a 50-level mission" I don't hold any expectations of them ever finishing it... :)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sirius wrote: Such is the nature of large projects. It's why when someone says "Hi, I'm new to level editing and I am building a 50-level mission" I don't hold any expectations of them ever finishing it... :)
Are you insinuating something? :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

This one has multiple people working on it... don't completely know if it'll be finished but it stands a chance...
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

At least Xfing's proven he's not like me, starting a project, building a two or three maps, then getting another idea and abandoning the original project to build that instead...
One of these days I'll release more than that one D2X-XL map. Hopefully sometime next year... but right now I'm experimenting with Doom 3 and Wrack, so who knows. I haven't changed one bit. :P
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yeah well, even though this project was conceived by me, I think of it very much as a community project. That's why I'm worried about the guys who have claimed those several levels not responding to my attempts to contact them... That makes me a saaad panda.

But yeah, I do hope to see this project through one day, but I wouldn't like needing to make more than 12 maps for it. Guess I might need to make more in the end, if the community's interest doesn't rise a little bit. Good thing I have Naphtha's input for now at least, his maps are sweet.

I think the next map I'll make will be Level 3, the Mercury map. It'll still be rather small (blue and red doors only), but due to the sheer size of the mission pack there's room for it.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, I tend to get sidetracked from making levels proper - I've hit a snag with the "make new working PIG files with all the D1 textures included" thingy, so I decided I'll just go with a provisional solution at the moment - pre-made POG files. Remember the file d1optim.pog? Turns out it was based on GROUPA and therefore importing it into any other palette than GROUPA screws up the colors. Therefore I'm making six equivalent POG files for every single D2 palette. As of right now there are 3 done and 3 to go - this isn't hard work, but tedious. When done I'll upload the files straight to dropbox so you'll be able to make use of them as starting templates for D1-stuff-heavy D2 levels in the future. They'll be named D1GR1 through D1GR6, with the numbers corresponding to the order of systems in Counterstrike.

Got to admit, the Fire PIG does yield results closest to D1 with many textures.

As for more on-topic stuff, I'm pretty far advanced in making the Mercury level, all I have to do is add the area beyond the blue door, the area beyond the red door, do the texturing and lighting. I'll upload some screens of the level when done, as well as a download link.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Xfing wrote: Got to admit, the Fire PIG does yield results closest to D1 with many textures.
Including the plasma shots I think. Dunno why plasma and helix are the only weapon projectiles to be changed significantly depending which palette you're using.
Just thinking... D2X-XL's hi-res textures don't actually use the palette to my knowledge. Just one more reason for a separate version with all the hi-res textures in the right places I guess.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:
Xfing wrote: Got to admit, the Fire PIG does yield results closest to D1 with many textures.
Including the plasma shots I think. Dunno why plasma and helix are the only weapon projectiles to be changed significantly depending which palette you're using.
Just thinking... D2X-XL's hi-res textures don't actually use the palette to my knowledge. Just one more reason for a separate version with all the hi-res textures in the right places I guess.
Helix obviously, but I didn't know about Plasma. Or didn't care to notice. I think Spread gets altered too, in the Alien 2 palette it gets purplish if memory serves... those palettes were obviously made due to a limit, but they've got their advantages - certain textures take on a completely new character when used with a different palette. The D1 PIG Pumo's preparing is no different in that regard, some D2 textures look really kickass in there. That's why I was hoping to create those expanded PIG files with all the textures. I've succeeded as far as the adding part, but I have no idea how to link up the restored old monitors to their break animations and broken frames and how to program in the green cobblestone secret door. The data's all there in haxmed32, but I don't know how to read it. Another thing is DLE being able to see the new textures, but Sirius said it could be taken care of.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

D2X-XL's hi-res textures use 32-bit TGAs because they don't need a palette, which makes it much less of a pain to use. But if you want it to work in Rebirth, you don't really have that choice, sadly.

I don't know if my DLE work is actually going to directly help with this "D1 POG" project... it does now have something to switch palettes very fast, but you're going to lose quality if you do that from an existing GROUPA-based POG rather than re-importing the D1 textures directly into the target palette. :(
I guess I can think more about that for a v2 though... there are quite a few wish-list items I'm likely to postpone anyway since it's close to a working product and probably time I work towards making it available to users.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sirius wrote:D2X-XL's hi-res textures use 32-bit TGAs because they don't need a palette, which makes it much less of a pain to use. But if you want it to work in Rebirth, you don't really have that choice, sadly.

I don't know if my DLE work is actually going to directly help with this "D1 POG" project... it does now have something to switch palettes very fast, but you're going to lose quality if you do that from an existing GROUPA-based POG rather than re-importing the D1 textures directly into the target palette. :(
I guess I can think more about that for a v2 though... there are quite a few wish-list items I'm likely to postpone anyway since it's close to a working product and probably time I work towards making it available to users.
Don't worry about the POGs, I'm close to being done with them, actually. I created alternate versions of the D1-exclusive textures exported straight out of D1 to take care of their background transparency, so they can be imported into a POG via DTX2 with an appropriate assisting PIG file and there will be little to no loss of quality for the monitor and sign textures. I only have the Alien 1 and Alien 2 POG files to go.

But what I was hoping to go for were modified PIG files of Descent 2's own, expanded to contain all the textures from D1 in addition to the standard stock. It isn't extremely urgent at all, the only real argument for it is the fact that you can't have the D1 and D2 monitors at the same time - not all of them at least. But it's a rather mild creative restriction, so perhaps I should stop being so pedantic about stuff :P

EDIT: All done, the files work well and can be used for any of the six palettes. There is a download link in the OP.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, time to get this show back on track! It is with considerable pride that I present to you the Mercury Construction Hub, level 3 of our lil' mission pack. It's already uploaded to Dropbox, for those with no access to the folder, the level can be found and downloaded using this link.

Initially I wanted to make this level small, seeing how it's only level 3 of a rather huge mission pack. And it is indeed quite small, though does take a while to fly through. There are plenty of secrets, but optional areas aren't very expansive (though rewarding). I took some inspiration from levels 6 and 7 of Descent, obviously, but hopefully not to the point of plagiarism - while there are some sections of the level purposely utilizing dated D1-like cube geometry, others are among some of the most adventurous shapes I've made so far. The initial two chamber hub is definitely inspired by Vertigo's penchant for large open spaces and extensive wall lighting. Overall I'm quite happy with the level, but if someone would like to do secondary mapping to correct or tweak something, be my guest. Here are some screenshots:

The spawning point. It's pretty dark, but not blindingly so.

The quite unique blue door. There is yet another entryway decorated that way in the level, but colorless.

The wall lights in the main hub.

A run-off-the-mill tunnel with a decorative pillar, inspired by Level 6.

Entryway to a big hub room with a moving conveyor.

Said conveyor. The belt does move thanks to the moving texture gimmick, but I was unable to align the texture itself straight. I think the entire level would need to be rotated to pull this off.

Adjoining retro-styled energy center. Inspired by D1 level 14 I think. In a way.

The resting place of the blue key. Color scheme inspired by one room from D1 lvl 6, the one with two drillers waiting around the corner.

Entryway to the reactor room, from the upper red door. I went for an octagonal shape here and pulled it off quite nicely.

This pic demonstrates the D1 lava animation as well as the lava trickle, both used extensively beyond the red door. The textures were restored using DTX2.

The reactor, sitting well protected beneath a considerably sized pool of lava, otherwise a pretty retro setup.

A shot of the automap centering on the geometrically busiest parts.

Now that I look at the pics they seem awfully small, which must be because I'm playing on 320x240 to amplify the retro feel. Oh well, hope you get the gist :P

Other points of interest in this level:
- The process of getting the red key is slightly interesting
- Still no matcens here, the level will still be among the easiest in the game

Please enjoy and provide feedback :D
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'll take a look at that conveyor belt...
I doubt rotating the level, even if it could be done, would make a difference to the texture alignments.

EDIT: I looked at the conveyor in-game and it certainly looks like it's moving the right way. The map looks good although I still don't like to see doors on flat walls. They look like they're made of paper.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote: EDIT: I looked at the conveyor in-game and it certainly looks like it's moving the right way.
Yeah, it is moving the right way, but the brick pattern isn't aligned the right way, it's diagonal. That's what I meant.
The map looks good although I still don't like to see doors on flat walls. They look like they're made of paper.
Oh, this. You've got a point there, I should have made some indentations there or something.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah because of the way that texture is drawn relative to the scrolling texture, it's not possible to align it so that it's scrolling correctly and facing the right way. I ended up using a different texture from the one I originally wanted in Rav'vin Station because of that.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:Yeah because of the way that texture is drawn relative to the scrolling texture, it's not possible to align it so that it's scrolling correctly and facing the right way. I ended up using a different texture from the one I originally wanted in Rav'vin Station because of that.
Yeah, I might also use the one you used in that one level you sent me. Or go another way altogether and use the one from Asteroid Robot Factory, even though it was used on the side rather than on the conveyor's face. Could look pretty good.

You're free to try for some secondary mapping yourself, though - this is a community project and all credit will be given where it's due, just like that time you helped with Sedna.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I finally took care of the monitor problem in Falls of Truth, there is one instance of the spider monitor in the level now and it's based off the template POG so all works well. The level is pretty much ready for robot and power-up insertion, it could maybe use just a little bit more of D1 signs (like DANGER) or something, this can be added at a later date.

I've also created slight indentations to remedy the "flat door syndrome" in level 3 as per Fox's advice, the files are already updated in Dropbox.

Making that last level was really enjoyable so I think I'll be starting on a new one soon enough, but first I'll convert the Venus level to D2, which still hasn't been done. In the meantime I'm eagerly awaiting some levels from you guys :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

DLE 1.12 is on descent2.de - will be doing some bugfixes first, and once that's cleaned up hopefully using it to make that level I had planned since a year ago? :)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sirius wrote:DLE 1.12 is on descent2.de - will be doing some bugfixes first, and once that's cleaned up hopefully using it to make that level I had planned since a year ago? :)
Sweeeet! I'm checking it out immediately, I've been wanting some of those new features since forever :D
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Okaay, I converted Level 2 to Descent 2 and uploaded it to Dropbox. The D1 version is no longer there, but I guess no one needs it that badly, haha.

I've noticed some real differences between Groupa and Descent.PIG - most notably the blues are more vibrant. The blue wall from D1 looks much more vivid now, as does that one Alien-like texture from D1 - it got a very strong teal tint in the transition to GroupA.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Today I did some much needed maintenance of my levels.

Level 1: Added hostages, translated palette to Pumo's D1, added an extensive secret area in the level (the level was a bit too small and too many of its secrets were single cube areas, this fixed both problems in one fell swoop).
Level 2: Redesigned the hostage prison (it was way too boring previously), added hostages, translated palette to D1
Level 3: Translated palette to D1
Level 17: Translated palette to D1, added hostages, improved the reactor room
Level 18: Translated palette to D1, replaced glitchy 0 strength cloaked medium hulks in a matcen with proper cloaked hulks
Level 33: Replaced glitched 0 strength cloaked medium hulks with proper cloaked hulks, restored proper stats to regular medium hulk instances

The levels have of course been reuploaded to dropbox, check out the changes if you're inclined.

Now I can finally get to work on some next level. I think I'll do a Vertigo level this time. D1 palette, dominant colors: obsidian and purple. Gonna be pretty late in the game so it'll have plenty of them fusion hulks. Gonna take a while to make, but gotta go with the ideas when you get them, haha.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Ya' know, I just can't help it. :lol:

Haumea Collisional Research Lab:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1016

Wing N'drsaedt:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1017

Frosted Minerals Abyss:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1018
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

So long as you understand they aren't automatically in.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Oh, I'll be happy to check those levels out for sure! Just give me two minutes.

Overall I'd like to apologize for my recent lack of activity. I'm working now and it kinda leaves me mentally exhausted. Anyway, my next level is in the works, the "N'Tala Shadowy Corridors". It's gonna be a Vertigo level with lots of the black obsidian texture (a Vertigo staple by all means), mixed with the purple of final D1 levels. I'll also try and throw in those cool lighting effects Vertigo introduced, and yeah - the theme of the level is gonna be lots of of dark, hexagonal tunnels connected to a hub, and then building more stuff around that. Making this level is definitely going to take a while, as Vertigo levels are the hardest to pull off since they really require creativity and mastery of the craft, so I'm gonna be taking my time on this one.

I wonder how y'all's other levels are coming along :D
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, I've checked out these levels of yours, Lightwolf, and I've got some feedback.

I have to say I'm quite impressed actually, as the levels show considerable improvement from your previous offerings, both in attention to detail and in creativity. The geometry is really good in places, sometimes even remarkably so. The choice of robot themes also really supports the themes of the levels and was clearly done with some consideration. That said, all three levels share certain traits that drastically reduce their potential:

- still Maximum-sized, so way too small. should be at least 3 times bigger.
- overlit
- overuse and misuse of doorlight and grate textures
- too gimmicky at times
- overreliance on the "large cubic hub" method of laying out the level - all the colored doors tend to be too close to each other
- discrepancy between certain sections - some are very well designed, while others are rudimentary.

Now for level-specific feedback. Haumea:

+ Quality cube geometry, decent texture use (though needs work)
+ The matcen in the hub is a nice idea to speed up the pace
- The level's way too small, what is currently the entire level should actually be the area behind the yellow door.
- Standard exit behind a secret door, not a good practice.
- The reactor puzzle is sloppily made and counterintuitive, could be considerably better
- Difficulty too high for that stage of the game, this is easily fixable though

That said, I'd be inclined to use the content of this level for the pack with little change as far as the cube geometry goes, as part of a level. Not sure if Haumea exactly as I've had my own vision of that planetoid for a long time, but definitely some other Solar System level.

Frosted:

+ The boss room is great! At least the area with the octagonal holes and the room where the exit is. The winding entry tunnel feels overlong, but this actually works well as it adds to the tension.
+ Decent geometry in certain places, such as where you pick up the blue key. The area behind the yellow door is passable too.
- Once again, the level is much too short.
- The central hub. A standard cube. Lazy, lazy, lazy. And it reminds me a lot of D2 level 13. Also, lazy.
- No marking whatsoever on the matcens in the cubic hub, a nonstandard practice not within the guidelines
- The location of the yellow key reminds me too much of my own Eris level. Also, something similar was done with the red key in D2 level 13 if memory serves.
- The boss arena itself is just a cube, again.. Couldn't you have made it a truncated cube at least? The other areas feel like they serve no purpose here, though the boss can indeed teleport to them. I'd go for a symmetric arena with 4 areas like the one you made with the cubes and the one with the octagonal holes as a hub for them - if symmetry is good for something, it's boss arenas! Also, the boss is gonna be tougher than in Counterstrike, so the player will need all the hiding places they can use.

To summarize - once again, there's a considerable amount of perfectly usable content within this level, though it isn't good enough standalone. Especially the boss arena has serious potential.

Wing:

+ Very nice geometry at times. The winding tunnel is made perfectly, and cooperates well with the blue key area.
+ The stairwell-like construct beyond the blue door is quite salvageable
+ Nice reactor room
- Too small, like the other levels
- Glaring misuse of border and door textures, the level's too haywire with colors to be taken seriously
- Way too many doors upon flat walls, this doesn't look good
- Again, a hub shaped like a perfect square, with no variety. This reeks of laziness.

Once again, a mishmash of almost brilliant geometry and lazy, hasty, uninspired solutions.

So overall my impressions are: the levels do contain some really usable material, I'd be happy to reuse it for some levels (and of course credit you as one of the authors). Nice job this time!

That said, I would like some of the veterans to check out these levels for plagiarism. Some of the geometry is suspiciously brilliant and I think might have been... borrowed. That would of course disqualify the content within these levels from use.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

In case you're wondering, you can do secondary mapping or tweaking on any of my levels.

Also, the hidden exit in Haumea is an alternate exit to bring back the D1 secret exit style.
As for Frosted Minerals Abyss, I only thought of D2 level 13 for the hub, and I assure you I hand-built everything in everything. You don't have to use areas that look too plagiristic, though.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

LightWolf wrote:In case you're wondering, you can do secondary mapping or tweaking on any of my levels.
Uh.. thanks. Does expanding them 2 or 3-fold count as secondary mapping too, or would that feel kinda over the top for you? :P
You don't have to use areas that look too plagiristic, though.
I don't care if they <look> plagiaristic, as certain motifs were reused even by Parallax several times. All I care about is whether they were flat-out plagiarized or not. If not, it's fine.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well another idea would be to retexture all four and combine them into one map for the campaign...
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:Well another idea would be to retexture all four and combine them into one map for the campaign...
Quite a good call - easier to expand on such a combined level too.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Xfing wrote:Uh.. thanks. Does expanding them 2 or 3-fold count as secondary mapping too, or would that feel kinda over the top for you? :P
That was actually what I was intending with "secondary mapping", along with the obvious minor tweaks.
Alter-Fox wrote:Well another idea would be to retexture all four and combine them into one map for the campaign...
That is actually a great idea too.

Now, down to buisness... Three new levels, focused on fixing at least one (if not more) of the negatives of the previous three.

Sheltem Mech Factory
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1020
This level I tried to make more consistent design-wise, as well as mark any and all matcens :P, though it might be a bit small.

Space Station U'denyor (Beta Ceti 11)
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1022
This level was my size level. I think we can agree that it is a bit bigger than the others. I tried to up the detail, but the upper part of the yellow door and the prison cell may need revised. A random fact about it is that it is actually a "take-two" - I was building a U'denoyr Station, but it got corrupted when my computer mysteriously lost power.

L'aeev Installation
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1021
This level is probably my lowest point size-wise, though I have the wall limit to blame for that :rant:. This level highlights the connector between the initial hallway and the blue door, and thus could probably be recycled and put to better use. Finally, see if you can figure out the post-reactor puzzle :wink:.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Hey, don't steal. L'aeev Installation was already built by somebody. They may be waiting till this project is closer to being ready before they sign off on it officially so the map doesn't get stuck in development hell, but I'm pretty sure they're going to hand it over with a bunch of other stuff too, when they're convinced that the endpoint for such a large project is in the near future instead of the far.

Speaking of serious contributions, Lightwolf, you might want to try what we discussed about combining your last few maps into one that's actually big enough for this project before building two maps that you even admit are outright ignoring that. You're not the one in charge and you need to respect it; if you keep monopolizing the thread with these submissions knowing full well they won't make it the way they are it could kill the project. I'm not kidding.
Hell, I know what it's like when you have trouble keeping up with your own ideas, but that's only ok when it's only your own ideas that matter. Otherwise it's selfishness dressed up as generosity. Take a break so you can actually think... this project is huge so it will still be here when you get back. There's nothing wrong with sketching out some small maps, sitting on them for a while and then expanding them when you get more ideas. And maybe that way you can keep up with yourself, but seriously... I shouldn't have to tell you this. You really should be thinking of these strategies yourself if you care about contributing to somebody else's project. I'm pretty sure you don't mean it this way, but right now it really looks to me like you're trying to take it over.

On the off chance you're not what I think you are and that is what you're doing then I can tell you right now it's not worth your time or your effort because it won't work. And you can be absolutely certain I know what I'm talking about. Xfing is a nice guy, but he's not a pushover. And there is a big difference between the two.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Lightwolf,

As Alter-Fox said, there is already a level under the name of L'aeev Installation - and I know that level, so I can say its quality is quite up to par, and with minor tweaks it has good chances of occupying its designated slot. So the level you sent me would have to take another slot.

And the problem with the level you sent is that it's almost perfectly symmetric in design - not really a design choice suited for this mission, which is inclined rather to emulate the naturalistic environments of the Parallax maps. That said, I think secret levels are exempt from this rule and symmetry is welcome as far as these are concerned. So the level you sent me would probably serve as quite a good secret level. The problem is that D2 doesn't support D1-style secret levels (basically standard levels which are hidden), this level would be really cool in such a place as it reminds me strongly of D1 Secret Level 2 with its compactness.

Yeah, the level is very well made and textured. How much time did it take you to make it? In all honesty the rate at which you pump out those levels is a bit alarming...
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

As for your other two levels: I have to say they're great. In many regards - from texture choice to geometry and even robot choice - sometimes even bordering on brilliance. Both levels have high chances of being included in their specified spots (after some significant expansion of course) and fixing of some little issues.

First of course I'll have them run for plagiarism, though, as everything seems just too good about those two levels, especially U'denyor. The brilliant idea for the boss arena makes me think someone might have helped you... a lot.

That said, I don't care if you paid someone to make that level for you or whatever, as long as they're fine with you publishing it under your own name, it's all good. Not a very good way to establish yourself as a level maker, though.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

You know....I never did read the very first post of this thread thoroughly. I just noticed you mention my name for robot and weapon balancing at the end. Coupled with the email sent for 'quality assurance' recently, I guess I'm on board with this project somehow? Lol Not that I mind but I had no clue you were betting on me for this.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:You know....I never did read the very first post of this thread thoroughly. I just noticed you mention my name for robot and weapon balancing at the end. Coupled with the email sent for 'quality assurance' recently, I guess I'm on board with this project somehow? Lol Not that I mind but I had no clue you were betting on me for this.
Well, I remembered that you were the one who did all the robot placements for TEW so I think you would be a very well qualified person to help with that. Of course it's just my own preference as I haven't even asked you about it directly yet - but yeah, you'd be very welcome to help out when and if we get to that stage with the project :)