New soundtrack released for D2: The Enemy Within

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

New soundtrack released for D2: The Enemy Within

Post by Alter-Fox »

Here it is: The new soundtrack to Descent 2: The Enemy Within. Though most of the music was composed by Vertigo Fox, it also includes two \"special mixes\" of songs by R.a.M. Land (aka Pumo).

Features: Epic, 26 song soundtrack to one of the best Descent 2 missions ever created.
The soundtrack will work with either the \"easy\" or the \"hard\" mode of the mission. Though if for some reason you have both modes in different folders in D2X-XL, it might only work with one of them.

Though the soundtrack was ostensibly made to be \"D2X-XL\" only, I've made sure it will work with D2X-Rebirth as well, though you'll have to do some \"hoop-jumping\" :P.

If you don't have the mission yet you can get it here: http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=28

And here are the download links. Because there is so much material in this soundtrack, it was split into two files. Unfortunately the best hosting site I have access to right now is Mediafire, but you should be able to speed up the download somewhat by downloading both files at once. Read on for installation instructions for both D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth.

Part 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?u1b1oo1e101361z

Part 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?dua30s84kz34e48

You will need winrar or another archiver that supports rar files to extract it.

Here are the instructions for how to install it (the instructions are also in the readme file that is in both archives):

For D2X-XL

First, download both files. If you only have the
first one it will probably crash XL after level 14,
and if you only have the second one it
won't work at all.

Extract both archives to your D2X-XL root
directory. If there are any duplicate files,
overwrite, or not; even if I made a mistake,
both copies of whatever file should be identical.

Now the soundtrack should work out of the box.

---------------------------------------------------

For D2X-Rebirth (0.56 or later only)

Download both files and extract them to the same
directory.

When you fire up \"The Enemy Within\",
enable jukebox mode. point your
\"Path to music used for levels\" into the folder
mods/ewithin/music. In the non-level music section,
point the credits theme into
mods/ewithin/music/credits.ogg
Finally select the play order: One track per level.
Now the soundtrack should work.

Note that this soundtrack will not work with any
version of D2X-Rebirth earlier than 0.56.

----------------------------------------------------

Songs copyright 2010 by Vertigo Fox and 2007-2008 by R.a.M. Land,
depending on the song.
The album \"Descent Dreams - The Enemy Within OST\"
is copyright 2010 by Vertigo Fox.
Swazook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Swazook »

I downloaded them into my missions directory and when I get the missions list in D2 I cant find \"enemy within\" anywhere.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

What you downloaded is the music, you need to download the mission as well (and then follow the instructions for enabling the soundtrack on your Descent version - in your case Rebirth).

The mission is at http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=28. (I believe I had that link in my original post). I would have included the mission with the soundtrack distribution but DarkFlameWolf wanted the soundtrack to be distributed separately. (If I had included the mission you would have had to extract the whole archive to your root Descent directory, no matter the Descent version).
Swazook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Swazook »

Actually not. I haven't even downloaded the music yet, and probably won't. I'm only interested in the levels. So I downloaded them from the first link in your post.

I was under the impression that it was just a level that I could put in my missions folder. But upon furthur searching it looks like an .exe that runs a new program called the enemy within.

Not really wanting to run another exe, so I'll pass on this one.

You should change the reference to a \"mission\" in your post above. It is confusing. It is really an exe and not just a \"mission\" you put in your missions folder.

Thx!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It's just the installation program. It's odd because I remember an installation program but I also remember that link having a zip version... Anyway the DBB won't let me edit posts right now, but once I can I will.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Odd... I just checked the link again and it still gives me a zip archive.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's a self-extracting archive. Someone probably has a regular .zip/.rar/.7z somewhere if it's tripping your AV. What it contains is the kind of mission you'd put in the \\Missions folder, though - but placing the .exe there by itself won't do anything, as one might expect.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

if he wants to pass on it because of it being an exe, let him, he's just missing out. :P