Halley's Military Base

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Halley's Military Base

Post by LightWolf »

A question around for a long time is the old one of where the alien virus came from. While it's original source has not been discovered yet, it's origin in the Solar System has.
Halley's comet.

Halley's Military Base

What do you think?
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Halley's Military Base

Post by Alter-Fox »

Naw it's origin in Sol was Yuggoth.
Still gonna take a look later, when I'm back home tonight or tomorrow.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yuggoth is nothing that I've ever heard of :O

Is it something from D3: Mercenary?

As for the level, it's pretty good actually. Very ominous and exciting, kinda reminded me of those levels from Doom where there's this huge empty space that only foreshadows the carnage that's about to happen. Nice geometry and a sprawling layout, but the texturing is definitely the best thing out of them all. You've gotten quite good at this.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Xfing wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 am Is it something from D3: Mercenary?
Nope!
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Outstanding level. Pretty much A+ work right there.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yep, it's a real good level. Getting slight Entropy vibes from it, though for the most part it feels like D1, even though there are D2 textures used. Very nice.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

How's the difficulty balance?
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

LightWolf wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 pm How's the difficulty balance?
I'm an Ace player and I died getting in the yellow area on my first run. To me that's a sign of even progression. Powerups where spaced out appropriately and you avoided a lot of shitty tropes when it came to robot placement and puzzles. I second Xfing's comment about the vibe. That's a perfect description. It's the best new level in a long time.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

You should search lunatomb for other recent good levels. Oddly they haven't been posted on here.
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

Played it on Insane and really liked it too. Especially the texturing is great.
Difficulty is alright, with nice progression through the level. Liked the general idea, too, looks quite fresh.
Some bits of criticism -
1) Cloaking device and invulnerability are nearly useless, instead you should have given them for the boss
2) There is no way to beat the boss (on Insane) if you spend a few extra Gauss/Vulcan rounds, or are unlucky with clip drops from Bulk Destroyers... 4 clips and Vulcan cannon are not enough for the boss given it is invulnerable to energy. I managed to beat it with luck, because usually there is no way to grab the Gauss cannon in the boss room without dying.
You definitely need to give the player more Vulcan ammo...
3) Mega, Full map and cloaking device from the lifter at exit are useless, you cannot get there without big (90%) chance of dying from the boss...

See my run here :
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

@Lightwolf Did you get inspiration from Level 3 of Entropy (either 1 or 2; Warp Distortion/Gauss in the Shell, respectively) for the texturing/aesthetic of this level?

Anyone else notice similarities?
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Actually I got the inspiration from the default cube textures when you start a new level in DLE.
I also gave the level a quick QOL update. Should fix the mentioned issues. (Be on the lookout for another way to the exit cubbyhole.)

Alex, where'd you find that music?
Makes me think the level should have its own non-midi track now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested in D1 mapping, I am planning a multilevel sequel mission.
#AllLivesMatter
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

Music is from Pulse 4 Goa Trance compilation (vero old one), I am a big fan of electronic music of different kinds, and as soon as I got bored with default MIDI music I started adding my own "soundtrack" to the mission that don't have custom music (see AF, Hydro, Ironblade on my channel for example) from the music I listened to... Hope those track fit well, although it is very hard to find well matching track for a level if you cannot compose one yourself... For example I feel sometimes that the beat or some sounds in the music are great by themselves but just don't work with Descent. Still I tried to find the best from my music collection. And I think AF was the best match but unfortunately I don't have more of this kind of music.